No Right Answer: Worst Reality Show Ever

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I think this was one of your funniest videos all year! The burns on the Kardashians were just genius!
Kenjitsuka said:
So, in the sake of spoofing bad reality the spit take was faked.
Which means that Kyle won in real reality...

Because Pawn Stars is great escapism with interesting history stuff, and I like the family dynamic.

And let's be serious for a sec; MTV's Teen mother dreck is actually making that seem way more attractive than it is, actively making the world WAY worse for decades to come (think of the babies!).
If you don't believe me, Google it and check the Ars Technica article...
MTV has so many "reality shows" going on, I just cannot watch it. And I used to watch the Osbournes, with my family! I miss the days of MY MTV, when they had weird-ass cartoons, trippy shows, and yeah music videos from cutting edge groundbreaking artists.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
I like Pawn Stars for the stuff that comes into the shop, I HATE Pawn Stars for the repetitive formula of the haggling part where they insert dramatic ... pauses.

I like/hate Storage Wars for the same reason, plus cutting to commercial just after someone exclaims that they found something.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
Lyri said:
HostileParadox said:
I like Pawn Stars because I like learning about the history of the items people bring in.
But yeah, the inter-family drama that they make up gets boring/stupid sometimes.
The problem with Pawn Stars is that they do not actually bring anything into the store, the people who go on the show are given the items to show to that guy.
That's why he has an "expert" on everything comes in, because they actually own the item.

It is a terrible show.
Wowowo.

1. Proof?
2. There are many "reality-TV shows" that do that. Putting an actor in place of somebody who actually did that, but whom they would rather not bother. And I don't really see it as a big deal if it's just that.
3. If according to you, the customers are actors, they're obviously not going to bring their own valuables. It must belong to the shop because they've previously bought it from the actual owner that the actor is representing. I'm not sure where do you want to go with this.
4. Right. I'm so amazed that if they want to survive in the business (and are pressumed to have been for decades) they actually know people who knows about different things (whom by the way, end up being 10 different guys at best. I've seen the "medieval to XVIII century armor and weapons guy" and the "clarke county museum curator" more times than I can count).
5. I don't see where the fuck is the relationship between owning the item (which is the whole point of the series) and having an expert on the subject.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
MysticSlayer said:
I'm not sure what Pawn Stars is like now, as I haven't seen it for a couple years, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit when I used to watch it. It must have fallen very far these last couple of years to even be considered the worst.
I'm actually curious as to whether or not Chris got Pawn Stars mixed up with Hardcore Pawn. There was no one in any of the Pawn Stars episodes I saw that I would consider poor, but there were plenty in Hardcore Pawn. Then again it could just be hyperbole for comedic effect.

Still surprised Pawn Stars got chosen as a contender as I'm pretty there are far far worse out there.

Antsh

May 15, 2012
I'd watch a show that just featured Kendal.

Glad she's 18 now... so I don't have to feel like such a creep.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Pawn Stars is fake, but it's actually entertaining. Like it or not it actually has some educational value.

Jersey Shore is the worst.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Qvar said:
Wowowo.

1. Proof?
2. There are many "reality-TV shows" that do that. Putting an actor in place of somebody who actually did that, but whom they would rather not bother. And I don't really see it as a big deal if it's just that.
3. If according to you, the customers are actors, they're obviously not going to bring their own valuables. It must belong to the shop because they've previously bought it from the actual owner that the actor is representing. I'm not sure where do you want to go with this.
4. Right. I'm so amazed that if they want to survive in the business (and are pressumed to have been for decades) they actually know people who knows about different things (whom by the way, end up being 10 different guys at best. I've seen the "medieval to XVIII century armor and weapons guy" and the "clarke county museum curator" more times than I can count).
5. I don't see where the fuck is the relationship between owning the item (which is the whole point of the series) and having an expert on the subject.
1/ I was able to read about it in a Reddit AMA, verified by the mods that this guy had been on PawnStars as an extra. Try googling it, it may come up.

2/ If they do that then it isn't reality, it's like Lizard Lick Towing company. A show my step sister is obsessed with even though it is completely fake.
It tries to play it off like a reality show but it isn't.
3/ The items are owned by the experts that the owner brings in or they're owned by the shop. Very few people actually bring their own goods in.
4/ You didn't finish your sentence before the parenthesis, not clue what you're saying.
5/ Still not sure what point you're trying to convey here, the experts own the pieces which is why they are able to explain what they are and how much they're worth.
He is just a regular pawn shop chump, maybe a little more experienced than the rest but the real knowledge is from the people he "knows".

TerranV

Feb 19, 2014
While I hate Pawn Stars as one of the shows that ruined the History Channel for me, the Kardashians are worse. Granted there worse shows out there.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
The 'bad drinking edit' was absolutely perfect.
Also the 'shaky camcorder' bit.
Massive props to the writers.

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
I certainly agree that pawn stars makes for a very crummy reality TV show... However, as a heavily revamped and Americanized version of antiques roadshow I think it works rather well.

It's one of those shows that only works well when its episodes are about the objects rather then the personalities.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
The thing about Pawn Stars is now every joe jackass thinks he can own and run a pawn shop and then tries to be like the guy on the shows. I got in a guy's face at a pawn shop because he was a) a douchebag and b) very clearly trying to be the guy on Pawn Stars, i let this guy know he wasn't getting a seasonal paycheck from history channel and that trying to be the Pawn Stars guy doesn't actually work in the real world. He didn't take my advice because he was out of business two months later because no one would sell him stuff or buy his overpriced crap from his dead grandma's garage.

See Pawn Stars is actively damaging the US economy. The Kardashians are famous for being famous and rich because they're rich, and as long as they don't actually do anything (and they don't, I've seen walrus documentaries on Animal Planet (back in the days when Animal Planet wasn't the Cryptozoological/ghost channel (don't get me started))where the subjects moved around more)* they can be ignored and no actual harm will be done.

*I would like to take a moment to apologize for the triple parenthesis, and turning a simple sentence into a run-on monstrosity with a footnote.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Zombie_Moogle said:
Absolutely loved the use of cinematography to parody reality shows

Keep being awesome, guys
Glad you liked it. When we realized we could do it that way, we couldn't stop grinning like fools.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I know you tried to do dramatic drinking round
BUT
you need more shaky camera and throw in some lens flare

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Pawn Stars is at least educational at times, and the Kardashians are super hot sometimes...

The real glut of awfulness is on TLC and TruTV. Honey Boo Boo, "I Can't Believe I Weigh 600lbs Vol.39", and literally every show on TruTV except COPS.

Anyone else find it ironic that TLC used to be called The Learning Channel... and is now where brain cells go to die?