No Right Answer: Worst Videogame Sidekick Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Worst Videogame Sidekick Ever

With videogame sidekicks being annoying at best, and game breakers at worst, Kyle and Dan try to figure out which sidekick should be kicked in the side.

Watch Video

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
Slippy was the worse, with Tails, at least he was able to help Sonic in his adventures take Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for example. Also out of all of the Sonic side characters, why choose Tails, wouldn't Big the Cat be a better choice for worst sidekick

PS also Dan, Echidnas do exist, see

CyborgGinger

Apr 1, 2011
I hope we're going to get Best Sidekick ever now. HK-47, meatbags (does he count as a sidekick?)

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
If you can argue that Luigi is a costar and not a sidekick, then I can argue that Slippy is a supporting character and not a sidekick. Falco is more the sidekick than Slippy is, seeing as how he and Fox are usually the ones leading the pack.

GreenTeaGal

Apr 19, 2011
I feel like this isn't even a contest. Slippy is worst by far. I barely played the original Starfox for 10 minutes before that frog got on my nerves. Tails(AI) on the other hand was cute, eager and relatively helpful. He never needed saving because he could not die. Tails was my first experience with CO-OP gaming. When you had 2 players of equal skill tails is the most useful and immortal sidekick you could ask for in that game. I used him to beat Robotnic all the time, helping Sonic ward off death / ring loss. Tails: helping Sonic avoid the game over screen since the 1990's. Nothing but love for tails. He needs to step out from Sonic's shadow and get his own game.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Urena Howard said:
I feel like this isn't even a contest. Slippy is worst by far. I barely played the original Starfox for 10 minutes before that frog got on my nerves. Tails(AI) on the other hand was cute, eager and relatively helpful. He never needed saving because he could not die. Tails was my first experience with CO-OP gaming. When you had 2 players of equal skill tails is the most useful and immortal sidekick you could ask for in that game. I used him to beat Robotnic all the time, helping Sonic ward off death / ring loss. Tails: helping Sonic avoid the game over screen since the 1990's. Nothing but love for tails. He needs to step out from Sonic's shadow and get his own game.
He has had his own game.

Also, I couldn't help but be reminded of this video whenever I hear about how Tails works in the games:

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Tails with his tails can out fly Slippy in his Arwing, that's how bad Slippy is. I'd actually rather have Tails as my wing man.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Ufff will refrain from pointing out all the wrong regarding Tails. That's what obnoxious fanboiz do. But I am noting there is much wrong stated about Tails.

And knowing both franchises back to front would have made this a little less funny I suppose (I still find this a lackluster installment guys, what gives). Slippy wins this one by a landslide.

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
Mad props for a Portland Winterhawks jersey. Great team this year. Wouldn't be shocked at all to see them winning a Memorial Cup if everyone stays healthy.

ColaWarVeteran

Jul 27, 2010
Not sure if it was intentional but I find it funny they chose the bunny picture to put over Seven of Nine since there is a character from Sonic SatAM and the comics that is a partially roboticized female rabbit.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
Ok, who is the hero, videogames or comic, that has the greatest number of sidekicks simultaneously?

Minions, hired hands, and military units not counting. Has to be people that you can look at and say, yeah thats a sidekick.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Oh god! To Seven of Nine is now a verb and I'm alright about it!

Although Slippy is annoying as all hell and I'd happily see him never return to a Star Fox game, he is actually marginally more useful than Kyle makes out. If he survives a level and makes it to the final boss then he will reveal the boss' power level, or health bar, which is a pretty useful thing to have. Without Slippy you have no idea how close you are to beating the bosses.

That's honestly all I have...

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Urena Howard said:
I agree. Maybe he didn't meet the consistency criteria, but everything else he said a sidekick should be, Tails was. He helped Sonic get aboard Wing Fortress Zone in 2, and the boss fight in Marble Zone in Sonic 3 is impossible to do without him. Slippy's only purpose seems to be to annoy the spit out of you.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Every Tails argument seemed like it was made by someone who has only ever played Sonic 2 because tails is awesome to play as in 3 and his relationship to sonic is explained in Adventure and that he had his own game.

GreenTeaGal

Apr 19, 2011
scorptatious said:
Urena Howard said:
He has had his own game.
Thanks! Didn't know that. His wiki says he has three which I guess helps "prove" my point.

swimon

Jul 23, 2009
*brzt* "Fox! Get this guy off me!" *brzt*
-*brzt* "Fox! Get this guy off me!" *brzt*
--*brzt* "Fox! Get this guy off me!" *brzt*
---*brzt* "Fox! Get this guy off me!" *brzt*
----*brzt* "ICARUS IS LOOKING FOR YOU" *brzt*

Yeah s/he's definitely the most annoying game side-kick ever.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
I have to say this because no one else seems to be bringing it up: Slippy did do one helpful thing, and that was showing the boss' health bar. Other than that, though, he pretty much is the worst.