No Right Answer: Worst Videogame Sidekick Ever

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
Tails was nothing but helpful. Even if he got lost, you were no worse off than you were if you were playing solo. As for Tails being better, in Sonic 2, Tails was worse than Sonic because he couldn't fly (if you were playing as him) and was slightly shorter, potentially missing you rings. In Sonic 3 Tails could fly, but then you had all those cool shield abilities that Sonic could use, like the fireball dash or the bubble bounce (not to mention Super Sonic). And Knuckles is badass.

Slippy, however, has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. By FAR the worst sidekick.

penguindude42

Nov 14, 2010
maconlon439 said:
CEDRIC THE OWL! CEDRIC THE OWL! CEDRIC THE FRICKIN OWL!
I would've watched this video if it were a comparison of him to Falco, who, unlike Slippy, is an obnoxious prat.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
The worst videogame sidekick is my little brother. More useless and more annoying than anything you can think of.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
They're really scraping the bottom with this one, at least update yourselves by playing the games within the last few years you guys were getting quite a few things wrong making the argument moot :p

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I sincerely hope that Elizabeth will not pop up on this list.

I'm still very fuzzy on how they intend to actually pull it off.

She can't be too smart, as spare processing power for hefty AI is pretty much out of the question with current (console) gear. And an overabundance of scripted events and actions only goes so far before it falls flat on the nose and rolls off the edge of the world.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
I really like Slippy, he was like your younger brother who you wanted to look out for.
Falco......Falco! He is a douchebag, always insulting you and degrading you in front of team, he's the asshole, slippy is just the rookie

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
While Knuckles is supposed to be a real animal IE an echidna, he looks the least like his real life animal counterpart so I could hardly blame people who think he's made up entirely.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Stabby Joe said:
While Knuckles is supposed to be a real animal IE an echidna, he looks the least like his real life animal counterpart so I could hardly blame people who think he's made up entirely.
Thank you, that's exactly what i was going for.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Glad you guys went back to the number scoring system. The health bar thing didn't make sense to me.

Sonic's origin according to SA2 is that he was actually created by Eggman's grandfather. So yeah, he doesn't actually have a dad, in that game at least. Unless you count Gerald Robotnik as that. That would make him Eggman's uncle! Weird...

And thank you for pointing out how all Sonic's friends have the same abilities and more! That's something that's always pissed me off, but it hardly ever seems to come up. In fact that's the main reason I was put off Sonic Heroes back in the day. Not only did Tails and Knuckles have the same abilities as Sonic, everyone did! Even Big the fucking cat! Tails and Knuckles even ran alongside Sonic in the levels, as if to mock him. It makes no sense and totally undermines Sonic's whole reason for being!

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
You probably got this multiple times, but Tails did get his own game. It's apparently a metroidvania (and apparently a pretty good one too):

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Scrustle said:
Glad you guys went back to the number scoring system. The health bar thing didn't make sense to me.

Sonic's origin according to SA2 is that he was actually created by Eggman's grandfather. So yeah, he doesn't actually have a dad, in that game at least. Unless you count Gerald Robotnik as that. That would make him Eggman's uncle! Weird...

And thank you for pointing out how all Sonic's friends have the same abilities and more! That's something that's always pissed me off, but it hardly ever seems to come up. In fact that's the main reason I was put off Sonic Heroes back in the day. Not only did Tails and Knuckles have the same abilities as Sonic, everyone did! Even Big the fucking cat! Tails and Knuckles even ran alongside Sonic in the levels, as if to mock him. It makes no sense and totally undermines Sonic's whole reason for being!
Wasn't Shadow created by Gerald? (and besides that, doesn't Shadow's self-titled game imply that Shadow's design was from the Sonic Vs. Chaos prophecy?, as implied by the existence of the artificial Chaos enemies).

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
gamegod25 said:
As many have pointed out, Dan is no authority on the animal kingdom as echidnas are real animals. And Knuckles not only is a cool and capable character on his own but also had a perfectly valid reason to exist. He was the guardian of the floating island and the master emerald.

Back on topic: Tails is certainly not the best sidekick but in no way is he the worst. If you just want to talk Soinic characters then how about Chip from Sonic Unleashed? If Tails can get on your nerves then even a minute of Chip is enough to make a person fellatio a gunbarrel.
To be fair, isn't Chip savable from scrappydom by virtue of being able to form a stone mech using temples from across the planet? (haven't played all the way through Sonic Unleashed, just from what I heard).

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
*pushes glasses up*To be fair, Knuckles actually DOES fit your criteria for a good side-kick. Originally he's a quasi-villian who is just protecting his native island, which is the setting for Sonic 3. He's actually has a reason for being there. :p

Sotanaht

Mar 6, 2008
Just want to mention that the first thing that came to mind as worst videogame sidekick was Fi, and I haven't even played Skyward sword.

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
"Don't write a sidekick unless you need one"

I can think of one reason why a sidekick could be necessary... But it's a bad reason.

...The main character spends the entire game not talking to anyone because nobody is on their side, and thus their character is marginalized to silent protagonist.

Of course, like I said, bad reason. If you're at a point where you've got a silent protagonist, maybe that's what you need to go with.

Either that or some internal monologue.

---

Also, Yeah, Tails could use his own game.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
ZexionSephiroth said:
"Don't write a sidekick unless you need one"

I can think of one reason why a sidekick could be necessary... But it's a bad reason.

...The main character spends the entire game not talking to anyone because nobody is on their side, and thus their character is marginalized to silent protagonist.

Of course, like I said, bad reason. If you're at a point where you've got a silent protagonist, maybe that's what you need to go with.

Either that or some internal monologue.

---

Also, Yeah, Tails could use his own game.
Look up Tails Adventures

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Sotanaht said:
Just want to mention that the first thing that came to mind as worst videogame sidekick was Fi, and I haven't even played Skyward sword.
This this this this this this this. I don't even understand why Tails would even be considered for this category, but Fi? Never has anyone annoyed me so much throughout the course of a game, ever.