No Russian

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Because we want large war games, and there aren't that many realistic choices for enemies?

Iran and NK would be pushovers, and our economy is too tied up with China, we'd both be shooting ourselves in the foot.

So we go "fuck it" and pick the one with some historical precedent.

Also, show me an airport magazine rack with Tolstoy and Pushkin.

And the best part of your post is the second half, when you start spouting of random American stereotypes that are far worse than the Russian ones from MW2, which were all from a magazine rack no one looks at and that you might even be making up.

farmerboy219

Feb 22, 2009
I would take it serioulsy but i wont because call of duty isnt the holy grail of story telling or creativity.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
No-one hates Russia because of games. The developers probably don't either, it's just one of the countries it'd make sense for America to be fighting in a game.
Plus in Black Ops the dude's former best friend is/was Russian, so yeah.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
urilukin said:
So if you haven't noticed the times of Joseph Goebbels are back with Anti-Russian propaganda, with games like MW2,BFBC2,COD:Black Ops,MW3 and many more.
Writing this i am watching the mission "No Russian" from MW2 and to tell the truth, in my opinion it is disgusting, and the amount of anti-Russian games coming out of the american game industry is quite worrying.
It seems that in almost every american game Russians are the enemy and not only that, the amount of stereotypes that get worked in to these games is also worrying because in the news stand at the Moscow airport in MW2 you can see magazines like "vodka today" and "Satanist dictionary" and my favorite "duck killer" What?! you thought that Russians read Tolstoy and Pushkin Fuck no, we read "vodka drinker".
And what if Russia brought out a game where you go around killing hyper-fat Americans and the magazines they were reading were "How to bomb brown people" and "How to get you IQ up to 73" and "The REAL way to clean a shotgun" well, you get my point.
So it is time for us to get rid of this insulting, lazy and old way of writing scripts it may have worked in "Rocky IV" but not in the 21 century...
Actually, I'd play the Hell out of that game. Especially the hyper-fat part.

Most game designers are not Chris Nolan. Most storytellers behind military wank fantasies are more Tom Clancy than Dean Koontz, so they're going to bring out some old fantasy they had from before they started kissing girls, when everything was black and white and the Russians were all bad and we never had to think too much about all the killing we were doing in the Middle East. It's as simple as that. That's why the Homefront crew hired the writer of Red Dawn to write another story about Russia invading the US, which by the way will never ever happen, and I doubt they're interested, anyway.

"But, dude! Dude, they could totally use an EMP."

Thanks, but I've seen Goldeneye, the Matrix and about a dozen other films that used that plot device better.

Military games don't usually have the best stories. That's the problem. Hell, I read a Tom Clancy book once that was essentially a sermon on gun control.

Try some non-military games, and I think you'll see that the racial stereotypes are generally not as bad. Now, the female stereotypes are another story...

HandsomeZer0

Dec 6, 2010
As far as i can tell, it was about a russian terrorist cell. Not the actual country. Russia is an easy scapegoat to label as generic enemies in videogames. Like police/gangs in GTA or aliens in space marine wank games. Its probably nothing personal, and if it is who cares? Its a game not a manifesto about world control. I'll leave that to the reptiles.

K V MAN

Sep 20, 2010
pspman45 said:
Te be honest, as an American I am sick of Russians being the bad guys as well.
Mix it up a bit games industry, lets have a robot takeover or a not shit alien invasion!
what i want is Russians and Mexicans fighting alien robots

now there's a game

aei_haruko

Jun 12, 2011
urilukin said:
So if you haven't noticed the times of Joseph Goebbels are back with Anti-Russian propaganda, with games like MW2,BFBC2,COD:Black Ops,MW3 and many more.
Writing this i am watching the mission "No Russian" from MW2 and to tell the truth, in my opinion it is disgusting, and the amount of anti-Russian games coming out of the american game industry is quite worrying.
It seems that in almost every american game Russians are the enemy and not only that, the amount of stereotypes that get worked in to these games is also worrying because in the news stand at the Moscow airport in MW2 you can see magazines like "vodka today" and "Satanist dictionary" and my favorite "duck killer" What?! you thought that Russians read Tolstoy and Pushkin Fuck no, we read "vodka drinker".
And what if Russia brought out a game where you go around killing hyper-fat Americans and the magazines they were reading were "How to bomb brown people" and "How to get you IQ up to 73" and "The REAL way to clean a shotgun" well, you get my point.
So it is time for us to get rid of this insulting, lazy and old way of writing scripts it may have worked in "Rocky IV" but not in the 21 century...
totally, it sucks, heck, my school offers russian as a language, It was my 2nd choice next to chinese. I can' stand russian steryotypes, it's like saying "hey you guys, the russians are still communist" Um, no they're not

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Lazarus Long said:
Actually, I had the impression that North Korea was the boogeyman du jour.
Yah and to an unrealistic degree as well. In Crysis 1 and Homefront they're portrayed as an actual threat to the point that they can start expanding and in Homefront they invade America (somehow? Seriously Russia is one thing, PMC's are another, China is another, but freakin' North Korea? What the hell. Where were they hiding the manpower and equipment to even occupy America? Much less conquer it).

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
I'm half russian,but I don't take it seriously because 90% of FPS game are that russia is invadeing the US.And mostly because I know that every game that uses America VS. russia is just because of the develepoer's stupidness & unoriginality to come up with an better story.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
K V MAN said:
pspman45 said:
Te be honest, as an American I am sick of Russians being the bad guys as well.
Mix it up a bit games industry, lets have a robot takeover or a not shit alien invasion!
what i want is Russians and Mexicans fighting alien robots

now there's a game
and the one white guy will die first :p

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I really want a game that depicts a western country, especially the US as the bad guys (except for canada, they're amazing) would be an interesting take on recent conflicts or fictional ones, just to add some depth

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
The only country that could be a legitimate threat to the US is Cold War era Russia. No other country has the manpower and military might to stand a chance. Even if the US Army gets inexplicably pwned for plot convenience, the US people are just as well armed (especially the rednecks, hillbillies, gangsta thugs, New York mafia, and all other stereotypical people). A Japanese officer in WWII remarked about a gun behind every blade of grass.

So developers use that and their lack of creativity. It is always either Nazis, Russians, or Not-Taliban. In the rare case it is Asians, it WWII era Japanese in name or in behavior.

urilukin

May 16, 2011
88chaz88 said:
Play MW2. Seriously if you just watch the No Russian mission then you take the entire game out of context. The CoD games have always been great at portraying things without a simple good/evil line. MW2 is no different.
Dude, i played MW2 and its full of "evil" Russians

urilukin

May 16, 2011
I just wanna say that i am new to the escapist and would want to thank you guys for being so understanding of my opinion.
I really like the community here and maybe i shall continue posting and voicing my opinion.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
demoman_chaos said:
The only country that could be a legitimate threat to the US is Cold War era Russia. No other country has the manpower and military might to stand a chance.
Basically this. The USSR actually did possess the ability to hit all of America's major cities with ICBMs, bombers and subs. China's People's Liberation Army Ground Force might make a good showing in a land battle, but the PLA Navy and Air Force are still far inferior to the USN and USAF. Also, Russians are a convenient choice since showing US soldiers killing white people by the hundreds doesn't raise accusations of racism.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
I don't see how CoD shows Russians as bad? the 1st few they were pretty much heros most of the time, and in the later installments, isn't it a group of ultra-nationalists that happen to be Russian? I seem to remember the invasion of USA by Russia was in relalication for the "No Russian" Moscow airport attck, committed by those extremists? In the eyes of the player, the enemy, but in the grand scheme of things, be lead along. And really, arn't the 2 major bad guys in MW2 Shepard (American) and Makarov (Russian) so it's not so much, West - Good, Russia - Bad.

Also as a side note, there were the ultra-nationalists in MW and there was also Kamerov and his loyalist Spetsnaz helping

darksuccubus

Jan 11, 2011
As a Russian I couldn't care less. Everyone knows that Russians aren't evil by default, for USA developers Russia is just an easy choice. I personally don't care, to be honest, because I rarely if ever play modern FPS.

FuktLogik

Jan 6, 2010
Oh calm the fuck down. It's a game, and clearly those book titles are a play on the lingering American mentality of the cold war.

At least your stereotypes have balls. You know what the Canadian stereotype is? Beer drinking, hockey loving pushovers that will one day be annexed by the U.S to help fight off the Chinese.