No skirts with Kinect?

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
So apparently microsoft is going to have a harder time than I once thought. According to the article linked below women cannot wear long skirts, and other users cannot wear baggy clothing while playing kinect. The device seems to have issues detecting people joints while they are covering them up. This seems logical, but at the same time kind of constrictive. I guess the real kicker is that the article says you cannot wear baggy clothes either.

http://www.gamerzines.com/xbox-360/news/kinect-long-skirt-incompatible.html

My question is, what if an obese player (i.e the target audience for kinect) was to try and play, would the device have a hard time detecting them. That and what of people trying to use it as an exercise device?

So what do you guys think? Think this is going to be a big problem for M$? or do you think that it won't have any real repercussions come of it?

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Yay! Another reason not to buy Kinetic!
I wear baggy pants all the time and if something will make me have to take them off I would not bother.
[sup]After all, all my pants are baggy.[/sup]

AngelSword

Castles & Chemo Founder
Oct 19, 2008
I doubt it'll have any particular negative result. It's a purely technical issue with a specific requirement. The wording is based on a(n arguably correct) notion that women are more likely to wear skirts than men.

As far as the obese, I doubt the Kinect-o-Tron will have issues there. Their joints may be covered up, but they're clearly defined.

mrwoo112

Jul 15, 2010
i agree with PayJ567

how in gods name would you PAUSE? a movment? what if you do it buy mistake? a button? but surely you have to move to press the button. if someone walks in the background or a cat jumps at your legs, causes my charter to die and forceing me to reload my saves. i will NOT be happy.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
YOu also can't play while sitting down. Since you will have to go through the motions of driving to play a driving game I invite any kinect enthusiasts to try the driving a car actions while standing up right.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
AngelSword said:
As far as the obese, I doubt the Kinect-o-Tron will have issues there. Their joints may be covered up, but they're clearly defined.
or are they? I could see folds in someones arms cause problems. but baggy clothing as well, if it cant catch joints doesnt that pose an issue?

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
PayJ567 said:
People will have to dress up to play video games.
Or get naked.

Unless it also gets confused by my wang, it wouldn't be the first machine that has been.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
PayJ567 said:
This is incredibly stupid. People will have to dress up to play video games. Fuck off.

This product will flop. I'm willing to put money on it.
Seriously, this is sounding worse and worse every day. At first I didn't care because it was just a silly motion control thing that apparently every company has to get out of their system... now it's expensive and there are only a certain amount of people it can detect and only if they're dressed a certain way... this is not what I call the future of gaming. I call the future of gaming the Matrix in which I plug in a tube to my head and walk around in a virtual world. Why do we have to spend so much time and money on silly things like this that don't matter instead of developing better games?

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
D4zZ said:
Unless it also gets confused by my wang, and it wouldn't be the first machine that has been.
well that all depends, if it is so mammoth that is could be seen as a second leg... then yes...

and congratulations.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
well then, women will just have to play in their underwear like the rest of us!

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
The Wii was laughed at when it came out but has become the best selling and most fun console imo on the market.
However the Kinect looks balls, it will flop hard, harder than the fat people from tiring themselves out trying to get it to register their joints through their flab.

AngelSword

Castles & Chemo Founder
Oct 19, 2008
FallenTraveler said:
or are they? I could see folds in someones arms cause problems. but baggy clothing as well, if it cant catch joints doesnt that pose an issue?
But that's not the issue. Baggy clothing moves much differently than a person's body fat. And I highly doubt that anyone who is likely to buy Kinect is of a weight where it would hinder the recognition of the sensors.

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
Hahahahahahahaha AWESOME.

The first death cries of Kinect are heard round the internet. I can't wait until Microsoft realizes the only thing you can really do well with it is box.

u4527646

Jul 20, 2010
mrwoo112 said:
i agree with PayJ567

how in gods name would you PAUSE? a movment? what if you do it buy mistake? a button? but surely you have to move to press the button. if someone walks in the background or a cat jumps at your legs, causes my charter to die and forceing me to reload my saves. i will NOT be happy.
Don't think I'm defending Kinect at all, because like hell I'll buy one, but with regards to pausing, kinect has voice controls so some games MAY have the ability to just say "pause" and have the game pause. Although I am really not sure if/how it will pick up someone else moving in the background or somesuch...

I also don't think "baggy clothes" will be a problem, like surely they would have to be REALLY baggy to stop someone's movements being detected in the same way as a long skirt.

Still... Unless I see a really REALLY inventive use of the tech, there is no way I will buy this ridiculous device.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Gaaaaaaah what were they thinking?

Hey, let's make lemons into lemonade! Maybe they can sell a line of Kinect-ready clothes!