No Sleep For A Week- Dangerous?

KEGman321

Jul 16, 2009
After a full seven days of not sleeping, the subconscious mind will slowly mix with your main consciousness. This will make your dreams become a reality and have a very high chance of causing permanent brain damage as well as mental and physical damage. Also, with the lack of sleep your mind will slowly deteriorate and as such you have a chance of dying.

I've actually thought about doing this. I've looked up many things about it. After all, my dreams and nightmares show me how I feel, so why not have them happen to me while I'm awake?
I've discussed it with friends. All of which agreed that it was a stupid thing to do and I would likely drive myself insane upon trying to do it. I still want to experience it one time though. Even if it's just for a day.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Griffstar said:
Internet Kraken said:
You would be incredibly, dangerously exhausted. I don't think you can even make it that long without sleep before your body literally refuses to stop working. I'm not sure how you would stay awake that long, but it would definitely require fucking up your body some way. So yes, it would be dangerous.
I have powerful willpower.
Can I have your Stereo?

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
KEGman321 said:
After a full seven days of not sleeping, the subconscious mind will slowly mix with your main consciousness. This will make your dreams become a reality and have a very high chance of causing permanent brain damage as well as mental and physical damage. Also, with the lack of sleep your mind will slowly deteriorate and as such you have a chance of dying.
Citation needed.

The world record's 11 days I believe, I think it's like putting your face in a basin of water, in that try as hard as you may you'll not manage to drown yourself willingly.

Griffstar

Mar 3, 2011
Elamdri said:
Griffstar said:
Internet Kraken said:
You would be incredibly, dangerously exhausted. I don't think you can even make it that long without sleep before your body literally refuses to stop working. I'm not sure how you would stay awake that long, but it would definitely require fucking up your body some way. So yes, it would be dangerous.
Can I have your Stereo?
Google VALVe.

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
Death Prophet said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_deprivation#Effects_on_the_brain

Internet is a great tool use it.
My Thoughts Exactly.

Brilliant!

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Griffstar said:
Elamdri said:
Griffstar said:
Internet Kraken said:
Can I have your Stereo?
Google VALVe.
Well try it with me for one day, I'm resetting my sleep to regular times and in Scotland it's.. 6:05.

It's extremely tough even for a day, I've had to to this before.

Griffstar

Mar 3, 2011
Baneat said:
Griffstar said:
Elamdri said:
Griffstar said:
Internet Kraken said:
Can I have your Stereo?
Google VALVe.
Well try it with me for one day, I'm resetting my sleep to regular times and in Scotland it's.. 6:05.

It's extremely tough even for a day, I've had to to this before.
I'm actually starting day 2, its not even hard until the third day.

DMac the Knife

Mar 24, 2010
There is a really good reason that sleep deprivation is used as a form of torture, that's because it is effective! At best you can suffer reversible physical and psychological damage, at worst you can suffer permanent physical and psychological damage. If you're lucky you might just die...

If the bet is for money your friends should ask for the cash in advance.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Yeah... you'll pretty much die around day five.

But you know, you already made the bet. Don't want your friends to think you're a wuss, do you?

Kevonovitch

Apr 15, 2009
after doing that myself, a few times, it's funky, and frankly, it starts to get really hard to do @_@

apparently, after the 3rd day, doctors can declare you clinically insane, but yeah, nothing THAT bad, except the possability of slipping into a coma once u do sleep, and for thoes of you with shit endurance, yeah, dying :p

i myself, start to mildly halucinate after 5 days (conversations, object placements, inability to tell whats real, and whats fake mostly.), and i have an increasingly harder time differentiating between them and reality as time goes on.

only managed 7.5 tops myself, i chose to end it. frankly, i don't think i'd like to try doing that again, it is rather scary after 6-7 days of not knowing whats real, and whats your brain going AWOL.

Griffstar

Mar 3, 2011
DMac the Knife said:
There is a really good reason that sleep deprivation is used as a form of torture, that's because it is effective! At best you can suffer reversible physical and psychological damage, at worst you can suffer permanent physical and psychological damage. If you're lucky you might just die...

If the bet is for money your friends should ask for the cash in advance.
Tdc2182 said:
Yeah... you'll pretty much die around day five.
Depressing, at most. Funny, at least.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Hal10k said:
Fie to all of the negative posters! Sleep is a completely optional part of life! Not only have I not slept in two months, I'm completely alert! In fact, I'm even more alert than everyone I know! I've started to see colors that they don't even know to exist!
I am so reminded of this scene.

But yeah, staying up that long is really not advisable.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
If you stay away from any physically demanding tasks you will be just fine, but you should know your brain will start to shut down until only the bare conscious level functions remain, so don't even think of driving or anything on that level.

My dad did pull an 8 day stretch around the time I was born, but he was driving to work repairing heavy machinery and then go home to spend the rest of the day working on the farm, and he admits he almost killed himself on several occasions.

nbamaniac

Apr 29, 2011
Last month i had an average of at most 3 hrs of sleep a day. I looked and felt like shite. I never wanted to feel that feeling again. So yeah if you wanna help mother nature and be fertilizer to her soil be my guest.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
I'm pretty sure it is. Me and a couple of buddies stayed up for 3 days straight once and then we slept for almost a whole day and felt like shit for the rest of the week.

So don't do it! XD

KEGman321

Jul 16, 2009
Baneat said:
KEGman321 said:
Citation needed.

The world record's 11 days I believe, I think it's like putting your face in a basin of water, in that try as hard as you may you'll not manage to drown yourself willingly.
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1690
This is where I read some of what I did about sleep deprivation. I do not remember where I found other information.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
You'll pass out before it gets too dangerous, the brain typically forces someone who hasn't trained themselves to stay awake to force someone to sleep after 2-3 days.

I had a friend who trained themselves and stayed up for a week. They lost about 30 pounds and went into a mini-coma for about two days afterwards.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
I got to day 5 once and 4 days a few other times. I personally didn't feel bad except for being really, really tired. I have heard it can be bad physically and mentally.

callmegreen

Jan 29, 2011
my cousins and i had a bet like that during winter break......... I won, lasted about 4 days until i fainted in the middle of my living room and woke up 16 hours later with wangs drawn on my face...... and in the fourth day i was EXTREMELY paranoid and my ceiling started to have rainbows cascading down from it....... BEST WINTER EVAR

Vandy

Apr 18, 2011
I doubt you'll die, but I see reduced mental capacity and hallucinations in your future.
You're gonna be all derpy by the end of day three.