No Videogames for Trapped Chilean Miners

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
MurderousToaster said:
Personally, if I was stuck down a copper/gold mine, I'd try and find as much gold as possible and pocket it.

If I'm going to be stuck down a mine, I'm taking some compensation.
As well as how much the gold is worth on the black market...

OT: Fair logic, but they'll have to get used to choice once they get back to the surface..

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
spartan1077 said:
I must have missed the part where they got trapped :/ but if they can hand them psps can't they get out?
Rescuers bored small holes just large enough to get a few essentials down there. It will take a long time to make one of the holes large enough for the miners to pass through. It's a long way down to the miners.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39233360/ns/39296593

And they have to do half the work to create the passage for their own rescue! Those miners must be made of grit and iron!

jaing1138

May 25, 2010
Let them watch daylight you get to watch sly stallones hillarious acting talent in a situation similar to there's volcano would be good as well but better. Better yet Doctor whos the impossible planet/the satan pit 2 parter the reaction (if any of them can understand english for clarity's sake though if they do a chilean/spanish dub would do)would be priceless.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
oranger said:
Mechsoap said:
so how is a psp different from an tv? they both distract in the same way pretty much...
Actually, a TV puts out light on the same beta wave your brain produces when it sleeps. This is why most crazy people loooove tv, and why when you start to feel "zoned out" after a while commercials hit you harder.
So when the miners finally get out the first thing they will want to do is hit Burger King and Target. (Or whatever does get advertised down there)
Makes me wonder if the "psychologists" aren't so much concerned about the miners' mental health as they are wanting to do experiments.
"They can't go anywhere so let us have some fun!"

Kinichie

Penguin Overlord
Jun 18, 2008
Give them PSPs and some damn Multiplayer games. Christ. How hard can that be?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
well I suppose handhelds could potentially be isolating

this is where console gaming can be a group thing (one couch 4 controllers set up for clarification), altho it'd be crazy to squeeze all that through the tunnel lol

edit: haha maybe they just don't want them to get too fat (not that tv isn't totally trimming to the waist)

Squeaksx

Jun 19, 2008
I think that controlling what the miners watch, while it can come as morally iffy, is something of a good idea. To be devil's advocate, I assume that being stuck in a mine, in and of itself, would be a depressing venture. The last thing they probably need is something that will lower their spirits anymore. In terms of the PSP, I'm not sure how horrible the network connection might be down there (har har), but unless they are given some form of multiplayer game, I could see isolation being an issue. At this time encouraging comradery and motivating spirits is more important than indulging fancies. Escapism is nice, yes, but sometimes reality is what needs to be focused on.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
Proper psychology, in this case, is when people are trapped in a situation where all they can do is hope the third world government they're trapped below (in every sense) can momentarily not be completely corrupt and worthless, is to let them do whatever the fuck they want. If they want to wallow, let them wallow, if they want to isolate, let them isolate. There isn't shit they can actually do from their end beyond survive, thus allowing them to dictate the terms in which they survive is the only viable course of action.

Conversely, limiting their options sounds more like the government prodding them towards mass suicide, so as they won't have to unfuck themselves long enough to actually accomplish something beyond fucking over their entire population. Which is par for the course for government.

Squeaksx

Jun 19, 2008
InterAirplay said:
They're going to be stuck down there a long time. Give the poor bastards what they want. If one of 'em wants to zone out and listen to music or indulge in some PSP gaming for a while on his own, you fucking let him and do NOT force him to stick to what the others are doing. You force them together, they will get agitated and sick of each other. Allowing them to entertain themselves away from the others would be a priority in most situations where a bunch of dudes are stuck in a confined space together. Sure, you do your best to make sure they get along, but forcing them to spend time together will not help.

And if the guys behind this really think that some gaming will cause them to isolate themselves from everything around them.... well, give them some credit. Even hardcore gamers would have the sense to contribute and help out where it's needed, let alone a group of trained miners, for fuck's sake.
I don't think you've ever stuck a hardcore gamer inside of a mine, I am not entirely serious, but I wouldn't discredit the idea of someone possibly sticking themselves inside of a corner and not coming out. Secondly, they are not forcing them to stick together, they are encouraging it through television. These miners can hide themselves away anytime they want, the simply formulated a meeting area for them to get together and communicate in. If they did the same, but with a Wii, choosing for them the selection of games they were to play (making sure they were all multiplayer enabled), I doubt you would have as much of a problem.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
The Bandit said:
This is probably the most phenomenally stupid thing I've ever seen. If they asked for PSPs (though, to be fair, I don't know what they asked for), give them some freaking PSPs. And if they want to watch A Walk to Remember instead of The Hangover, let them have that too. Because, guess what? The reality of not being able to have what they want is probably going to make them more depressed than fiction.
THANK YOU

RawFrawg

Sep 27, 2010
apparently psps nowadays are made of chocolate and are equipped with subterranean drills. if this were the case, those miners would've been safe at home with chocolate all over their faces by now.

flipsalty

May 11, 2010
Mechsoap said:
so how is a psp different from an tv? they both distract in the same way pretty much...
The psp is one person doing it with no interaction with the other miners, at least with the television they can all enjoy it at the same time.