No Violence needed

That Greek Guy

Jul 29, 2009
Even though i supported the idea i never truly believed it. I always believed that games with no violence even though very interesting and fun they could never reach the feeling you get from good shooters and hack-n-slash games.
I have played tons of kid friendly platformers,party games ,puzzle games accross all platforms and even though i very much enjoy games like portal mario and others, none of them gives me the feeling of urgency and power like the games where you just have to f*** your opponents up so hard that their f*** a** is about to e****** with c*** because you have benn s***** them from every single possible spot....you get the idea. Power just feels so great and violence is what its served on.

BUT after playing Sonic Generations i have to say to hell with those violent, over the top gore fests.This game alone proved to me better than anything else that violence isn't needed to reach SUCH LEVELS OF FUN. I've been playing all the modern stages again and again since the game has been released and i am having more fun than ever. This game and especially the ROOFTOP RUN stage gives you this amazing feel of speed and rush that just makes your reflexes reach their limit.

You just go sonic boom out of the window and into the streets, jump on the rail, slide under the wall, climb the giant clock tower, slide down the giant clock tower, drift on the ledge, do an 180 turn and boost throught the army of robots into the finish(This doesnt count as violence because robots are as dangerous as rocks in this game and are treated as such).

What do you guys think about this?

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
I agree with you, but then again, I am a firm believer that any type of game can be fun and interesting. Mario Galaxy, I think, is the perfect example of a non-violent game, that is also extremely good.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Risingblade said:
I honestly can not think of a game where I haven't committed even one act of violence.
Tetris?

Unless lining blocks is murder.

In which case, I am a monster.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
What? I've never held violence as the ultimate metric by which to judge games. Nor do I think many on this think that violent videogames make good games. It's all about context and how it's applied. As long as the game gives me enough to feel a very real sense of danger, I don't need graphic violence to have fun. Some of the most epic battles that I have fought were triggered by the board game, Risk, where I formulated glorious defeats and triumphs without actually ever remembering seen any blood.

Humans have a very flawed sense of power. To echo Steven Eriksson on this one, the power to not have to do anything--indifference--is the ultimate sign of power. Having to interfere means that there is something lacking.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Risingblade said:
I honestly can not think of a game where I haven't committed even one act of violence.
DJ hero? I'd have suggested guitar hero, but there's always the threat of you enacting violence on or with the peripherals.

OT: You're trying to get an adrenaline rush from gaming? Violence is always going to be the quickest way to cause that. The other option is racing games. You'd think sports games could manage it, but they tend to deconstruct team sports so much that they practically become strategy games.

That Greek Guy

Jul 29, 2009
You are way too intelligent for this thread.
What i mean is that for most people ,including me, the games that makes us go "WOOOOOO THIS IS AWESOME" include you killing something so i am amazed to find a great exception.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I've never see violence as anything more than a way to convey the feel of a world. If a game is lacking in violence it tends to have a more Idealized world, if a game has a realistic amount it shows a Reasonable world, if a game has an over-the-top amount it can show a Frantic or possibly Exaggerated world.
It's nothing more than an aesthetic to me, same as level design or lighting I suppose.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Risingblade said:
Tetris?

I did read a theory once that Tetris is a metaphor for the Soviet gulags. The blocks are the corpses of political prisoners which you stack neatly into a mass grave.

Try not to think about that before you go to sleep tonight.

OT: I was going to say Portal, but... does it count as murder if it's an AI? Or a turret? Oh damn, just remembered the Companion Cube. Nevermind.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Risingblade said:
Tetris?

Don't the blocks explode? explosions are violent...unless I'm thinking bejewled

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
One of the best games I've ever played was all about you preventing violence, it was called Ghost Trick and it was fucken awesome.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TestECull said:
Two things.

One, you can swear on Escapist. Nobody gives a shit.

Two, some of us enjoy being able to do things we can't do in real life. For most of us, bashing skulls in with crowbars is on that list.
Really? You guys are total amateurs. >.>

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Risingblade said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Risingblade said:
Tetris?

Don't the blocks explode? explosions are violent...unless I'm thinking bejewled
No, the blocks don't explode, they just disappear.

Also, Little Big Planet is fun as hell, non-violent, and very psychedelic.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Well, that depends on your definition of violence. I can easily argue that Mario and Sonic are both violent. Mario has a tendency to punch and smash things while Sonic rips through things like a buzz-saw at the speed of sound. That's not exactly "non-violent". Maybe not like God of War or Ninja Gaiden, but you're certainly not finding solutions that don't involve pounding a Gomba or making a robot explode.

On the other hand, you could almost claim that Batman: Arkham City is non-violent. Now, hear me out. Sure Goons have guns and people do die (Rest in Peace Cop #2), but Batman himself never kills anyone. He might punch some people, break some bones and leave a few goons unconscious or hanging from the ceiling, but he never kills anyone. Hey, if Mario can be called nonviolent as he stomps on Turtles and sends them careening into others and off cliffs, why can't Batman be thought so, too?

Okay, so I would consider Mario and Sonic non-violent while considering Arkham City as violent (though not the worst offender out there).

Anyway, nonviolent games can be fun! Who here hasn't played Tetris for hours? Or a classic platformer? You can even complete most Metal Gear Solid games without killing anyone. I'm certain there will be plenty of great games mentioned where you don't have to shoot a guy in the face with a shotgun to win.

I'm thinking I'll wait to get Sonic Generations. I tried the demo and its surprisingly solid. So maybe when the price drops (say as a Greatest Hit?) I'll pick up a copy.

That Greek Guy

Jul 29, 2009
Saltyk said:
Mario has a tendency to punch and smash things while Sonic rips through things like a buzz-saw at the speed of sound.
I agree with what you said about Mario but sonic? Nah. all you hear is a BANG and then a BOOM and the robot has disappeared which takes half a second. thats not violence, thats just an obstacle going poof.
Also i agree with you on the other examples you gave but tetris and such, though fun, they didnt make me squeeze the controller and scream with excitement. For me it only happened with devil may cry 3,4,bulletstorm and mirror's edge. But now sonic came in.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
It is completely possible to have non-violent gameplay that is funner then shooting.

Portal 2 is a good example. Particularly, some of the sequences with the smashy spike plates combined with that really awesome peppy music really got my blood flowing in a way that no shooter game has.

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
Programmed_For_Damage said:
I was going to say Limbo (which is in itself purely masochistic), however I remembered what happened to the giant spider.
Hey, that bastard had it coming. Methodically truding after you and trying to eat you. You may pull off his limbs, but I consider it justified... -.-

/semi-fake-offense-at-a-nonexistent-point