Nolan Calls Marvel-Bashing Quote "Inaccurate" - Update

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
ticklefist said:
Marvel movies are just a manufactured product. The McDouble of the movie industry.
I would compare them to a Costco pizza. Manufactured on an assembly line, sure, but damn do they hit the spot.

Uriel_Hayabusa said:
I'm with Nolan on this one. Never understood the need for a scene (or two) after the end credits, especially if it's important. I mean: if it's so important why ''hide'' it there?

The fact that some hardcore Marvel-fans are butthurt over a harmless potshot is just a nice extra.

Funny how it goes, though. Nolan used to be something like a hero to geeks what with The Dark Knight and its widespread acclaim. I guess Nolan lived long enough to see himself become the villain...
Nolan kept on doing the job well past he was interested in it. Batman Begins and Dark Knight were projects that, at the very least, he was interested in. Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel were Nolan being paid enough money so his name could be on the poster. And I can respect that. He wanted a net worth of $150 million so he sold his name to the highest bidder. And that is fine. I would certainly do the same thing in his place.

But if he wanted respect as a serious artist he should have either been more choosy about his projects or he shouldn't have phoned it in. You don't get to make Dark Knight Rises and then make snide quips about how you make "real" movies. Or rather you can do it, but it makes you an ass.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
RedDeadFred said:
I'd just like to remind everyone that it is perfectly reasonable to like both Marvel and DC movies. Holy shit, right?!
I agree with this sentiment but I think people naturally go to either direction because that's what they enjoy.

For me, I prefer the nolan movies because they had drama whereas the marvel movies seem to be heavily action based. It's fine to like either but I think this might be a rare cause where people just go towards what they like instead of an us vs them mentality. Except moviebob for some reason, who seems to be the only one going on and on about how terrible dc movies, including the batman trilogy are.

I dunno, maybe there is more hosility then I realized *reads thread* ...

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I for one have always enjoyed end credit bits. It's an intelligent way to get people to stay through the credits, I also like what marvel has done with them. Using them as the first teaser for the next movie is brilliant.

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
I like waiting through the credits for my Post Credits treat.

It reminds me just how many people it took to provide my entertainment.
A really good Anti-Piracy tactic in my view.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I can respect that post-credit stingers aren't the way Nolan likes to makes movies, it's just not his style. Marvel makes it work and honestly most of them would be awkward 'ends' to any of the movies they've been in so it's their trademark. A little flourish at the end of the signature.

What I can't respect is the notion of 'real films don't do that'. That is elitist horseshit that honestly, I thought a man like him would be above.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
You know what a real director wouldn't do? Talked shit to another rival films to yours behind their back than face to face!

Is he really still butthurt about it? First it was that complain about the Avenger movie scene and now this!

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Man, I was never a fan of Movie Bob, but I didn't think the day where he would resort to making click-bait articles would actually come.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
I just want movies to be enjoyable. I couldn't care less what it's actually about as long as it's done well, the acting is good, and it makes me feel something that isn't anger over a stupid decision made by the director.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Gordon_4 said:
I can respect that post-credit stingers aren't the way Nolan likes to makes movies, it's just not his style. Marvel makes it work and honestly most of them would be awkward 'ends' to any of the movies they've been in so it's their trademark. A little flourish at the end of the signature.

What I can't respect is the notion of 'real films don't do that'. That is elitist horseshit that honestly, I thought a man like him would be above.
I read the entire article, which was a really good read.

However, it really didn't come across the way this article represents.

It seemed to me that what was said when asked was "A real movie wouldn't just take what's popular in other movies and use it".

The entire tone of the article is so different to this one that it doesn't come off as a jab at all in my opinion.

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
I wish Marvel would tone down all the in movie advertising for other movies they have in the pipeline. They should just focus on one movie at a time and focus on its stand alone quality rather than forcing the meta-narrative about the infinity gauntlet. Putting stuff at the end of the movie is ok but if its just some guys goofing off its not really worth the time to wait out all the credits imho.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
He's already made 10 very real movies and earned 3 very real Oscar nominations along the way. Granted most of his movies that aren't Batman-related rely on some sort of narrative hocus pocus to elevate themselves above the average blockbuster. Memento is told backwards, Prestige has unreliable narration, Inception is a Chinese box of continuums... but I think he's a very good director. He's ambitious, he comes up with his own scripts for his own projects and is always pushing some sort of new ground. And Interstellar, for all its pretense, is a very good movie. Probably his most personal and humane too.
Yeah, but I said real movie. None of those count.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
That was quite a leap in logic there Bob. I cannot disagree strongly enough.

I can only be satisfied in the fact that you are not a journalist because that is the most click bait weasel words headline I have seen in ages. I only clicked on it to see if it was as tabloid as I suspected.

I think I will stick to entertainment news sites from now on.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Wow nice one Guardian. You guys should collaborate with IGN for future poorly presented journalistic click bait articles. While I don't think Nolan is the second coming of Christ, the number of people who keep trying to twist and "dig up dirt" for every minor thing he says is pathetic. The resentment and envy is disgusting.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
DrOswald said:
Nolan kept on doing the job well past he was interested in it. Batman Begins and Dark Knight were projects that, at the very least, he was interested in. Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel were Nolan being paid enough money so his name could be on the poster. And I can respect that. He wanted a net worth of $150 million so he sold his name to the highest bidder. And that is fine. I would certainly do the same thing in his place.

But if he wanted respect as a serious artist he should have either been more choosy about his projects or he shouldn't have phoned it in. You don't get to make Dark Knight Rises and then make snide quips about how you make "real" movies. Or rather you can do it, but it makes you an ass.
So he phoned it in with a movie or two, big deal. Work isn't always fun, that's the world of grown-ups for you. And even if he took a potshot at Marvel (which seems to have been a misquote), so what? Lords knows every other wiseass (wannabe) movie reviewer with a (video)blog has made fun of him for all sorts of things (''Hey guys, notice that Christian Bale's Batman voice sounds kind of forced and weird?'')

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
jhoroz said:
Wow nice one Guardian. You guys should collaborate with IGN for future poorly presented journalistic click bait articles. While I don't think Nolan is the second coming of Christ, the number of people who keep trying to twist and "dig up dirt" for every minor thing he says is pathetic. The resentment and envy is disgusting.
The headline does not belong to the Guardian. The quote was cherry picked by Bob and put into the context we see it.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Lono Shrugged said:
jhoroz said:
The headline does not belong to the Guardian. The quote was cherry picked by Bob and put into the context we see it.
Did you read the update? I said nothing about headlines. Nolan specifically stated that the quote from the profile the Guardian wrote up on him was inaccurate.

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
He's already made 10 very real movies and earned 3 very real Oscar nominations along the way. Granted most of his movies that aren't Batman-related rely on some sort of narrative hocus pocus to elevate themselves above the average blockbuster. Memento is told backwards, Prestige has unreliable narration, Inception is a Chinese box of continuums... but I think he's a very good director. He's ambitious, he comes up with his own scripts for his own projects and is always pushing some sort of new ground. And Interstellar, for all its pretense, is a very good movie. Probably his most personal and humane too.
Yeah, but I said real movie. None of those count.
Care to elaborate?
To say "a real movie" is very ambiguous. What is a real movie in your book?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
viscomica said:
To say "a real movie" is very ambiguous.
I think you just made my point.

Well, the point I wouldn't have made if Johnny didn't take a quip seriously (ironically, one that came right after defending Nolan).

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
jhoroz said:
Lono Shrugged said:
jhoroz said:
Did you read the update? I said nothing about headlines. Nolan specifically stated that the quote from the profile the Guardian wrote up on him was inaccurate.

Haha, well if Bob can change the headline to something a bit less sensational then I guess I can change my comment.