Non Americans: Does seeing American English bother you?

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I feel like when you use such a derivative language, it seems outrageously hypocritical to be annoyed by something as simple as regional spellings and diction.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Turigamot said:
Perryman93 said:
yes it most certainly does annoy me when Americans pronounce and spell English words incorrectly, but I can tolerate it, it is just the reluctance of some Americans to accept that the language isn't theirs, and when because of that, they try to tell others how to spell things in an Americanised way, when im pretty sure that English was originally spoken by the great people of England. (well, and the rest of the British isles)

Also, its called the Queens English for a reason, so please learn how to use it!
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you are speaking English the exact same way you were 500+ years ago. Forgive my ignorance of the fact that English is a perfectly static language on those islands of yours.
Ugh, here we go.

Look, I know the previous user acted patronising and superior and generalise all of America, but generalising back isn't the way to go about it. Insinuating that language never changes here and that we're backwards for it is a false, generalising statement and since the English view of "yanks" is 'misinformed idiots who generalise rather than bother to think' you're actually hurting yourself more than us.

That user was an idiot for being so in-your-face, don't insult everyone who happened to be born on the same stretch of dirt as him.

EDIT -

Apologies, I thought you implied England was static. I didn't read that post correct.

I'll go have breakfast and post another time, hopefully without making a fool of myself...

Turigamot

Feb 13, 2011
AngloDoom said:
Turigamot said:
Perryman93 said:
yes it most certainly does annoy me when Americans pronounce and spell English words incorrectly, but I can tolerate it, it is just the reluctance of some Americans to accept that the language isn't theirs, and when because of that, they try to tell others how to spell things in an Americanised way, when im pretty sure that English was originally spoken by the great people of England. (well, and the rest of the British isles)

Also, its called the Queens English for a reason, so please learn how to use it!
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you are speaking English the exact same way you were 500+ years ago. Forgive my ignorance of the fact that English is a perfectly static language on those islands of yours.
Ugh, here we go.

Look, I know the previous user acted patronising and superior and generalise all of America, but generalising back isn't the way to go about it. Insinuating that language never changes here and that we're backwards for it is a false, generalising statement and since the English view of "yanks" is 'misinformed idiots who generalise rather than bother to think' you're actually hurting yourself more than us.

That user was an idiot for being so in-your-face, don't insult everyone who happened to be born on the same stretch of dirt as him.

EDIT -

Apologies, I thought you implied England was static. I didn't read that post correct.

I'll go have breakfast and post another time, hopefully without making a fool of myself...

:p Sarcasm, yo. The internet sucks at expressing it.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
EdwardOrchard said:
The only thing that annoys me is that the Escapist text box's auto-spellcheck keeps telling me that I'm incorrectly spelling colour, favourite, honour, armour, etc. These red underlines....have made me lose my faith in humanity (edit: /s).
Have you thought about setting the language of your browser's spell checker to British English?

While I generally prefer British spelling myself because I think it looks cool, I don't even notice it when the American alternatives are used when I'm reading something. I guess that as long as you're consistent with the spelling you've chosen (something I'm probably not because I can't always distinguish the two) it doesn't really matter.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
spectrenihlus said:
redmarine said:
When it comes to spelling correctly, yes. I prefer to spell colour, armour, anyhow, and so on. These minor changes sound like a pathetic excuse to be a bit different from GB English.
Wait there is another way to spell anyhow? Btw auto correct is redlining colour and armour...just saying
You have the En-US edition of whatever browser you're using.

If you're in the UK and you write it without a "u", you've simply spelled it wrong. It's not that bad, but if you tell me I'm wrong for spelling colour I'll rip your head off :)

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Perryman93 said:

The Romans have a ~60% share in "your Queen's" language. I'd say that they own it, but that would be leaving out the Norse, the French, etc...

When you really come down to it, not much English was originally spoken by the British. It's fine, even etymology needs a Vanilla Ice.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Turigamot said:
AngloDoom said:
Turigamot said:
Perryman93 said:

Ugh, here we go.

EDIT -

:p Sarcasm, yo. The internet sucks at expressing it.
It wasn't even that. I just woke up and instead of reading "forgive my ignorance", which is obvious sarcasm, I read it as something like "you are ignorant" for some reason.

*Sigh*

Back to Yogscast and morning-pizza until I'm awake...

Apprentice88

Jun 16, 2011
Realise the Colour of an Axe, and for Odin's sake it's not English "International", it's proper bloody English.

Jun 11, 2008
The only Americanised word that I dislike is doughnut being donut it kinda defeats the purpose of the original word as it is dough in the shape of a nut. Other than that I don't care about color, armor, gray and all the others unless I am told I am doing it wrong.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Citizens of the USA, does it blow your mind that the outside world uses hundreds of languages?

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Not really. But I do have nightmares of "dieing" becoming a real word.

I will seriously go out into the world and massacre everyone in my way should that ever happen.

Feb 13, 2008
Jacco said:
I see quite a bit of the "proper" spellings of words on this site (oweing, I'm sure, to the large non-American presence) and it makes me wonder, when you see us Amies spell words like "color" and "favorite" as such instead of the "proper" "colour" and "favourite" does it bother you at all or is it just another way of spelling?
It doesn't bother me at all when used for things that are relevant to you. That's its purpose.

It's exceptionally rude when it's used for things that are from a country that refers to them by it's proper name, because that's just jingoistic.

Jamie Johnson

Jan 14, 2011
meh the only thing that gets me is when they call foot ball soccer lol and then their game foot ball lol i believe that in american football they use their hands mostly (altho i've never seen a game lol so i may be wrong) i just think "english" football was called foot ball first so they shouldnt call it something different because in the english language its foot ball lol c'mon american if your gonna copy the brits do it properly with a nice cuppa tea ;)

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Spelling doesn't bother me, I only get annoyed when they claim that American is a language, or when they call football soccer.

A bit of digression but since the topic of the differences in our football has come up I have to ask, why do Americans wear so much body armour just to play Rugby? (as Giles put it, though that isn't the exact quote)

Snoozer

Jun 8, 2011
I had to learn both ways of spelling at school, so for me they are pretty much the same. I prefer the english spelling because it's the original form, but it doesn't bother me if people use the american spelling.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
It's been said before but i'll say it again because repetition is fun.

I don't mind how people spell things as long as thick bastards stop telling me i'm spelling English words wrong when using the English language and I live in bloody England.

Morons that try and correct me when I type out "colour" or "armour" or "generalise". "Lol, learn to spell English" .... The irony of non-English people trying to correct us about our own fething language.