Noobs on MMOs

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
The word noob, in my mind, comes along with a mental image.

Some guy, in a room filled with Halo Figurines, with anime posters.

The guy is wearing a jinx t-shirt that says something about eating noobs, and he has a high pitched voice, and is yelling over his microphone because someone is hacking their kills.

And the word noob is always screamed in a high pitch squeel.

ExodusinFlames

Apr 19, 2009
Xbowhyena said:
Only read this section if you play WoW, otherwise you probably won't understand much.

Alright, I was running SM Cath earlier this morning. We had a really bad group, but I knew we could make it. The group poorly put together, partly a fault of mine and partly because it's hard to find a good group in the morning, but it worked. As things sometimes go with recruiting for pugs, I ended up tanking AND healing, which suited me fine. I mean seriously, this is SM, level 30-40... It's easy as shit. Well there was a shaman and a warrior who were constantly getting on my nerves, and when we killed Mograine and Whitemane, the Triune Amulet drops. Naturally me (a pally) and the Warlock roll on it. Then of course the warrior rolls on it and wins it. Me and the lock just dropped group and logged right then.

You will understand this part if you play WoW or not.

I'm not really all that worked up about it, I'm just posting because I know some people will find this funny and to make my point: Why the hell are there so many noobs on MMOs? I've been playing MMO games for years, and NEVER had a time where I have been as bad as these idiots. Anyone else got more stories like this?
Are kidding, I had to run my wife through Kara weekly, in someone else's raid (due to the small guild at the time). She wanted the Sunfury Bow, from Melchazzar. It had been ninja'd by any number of players that wouldn't have benefitted as much as a hunter would have. 4 months of running with other guilds, nothing. Stupid.

DragunovHUN

Jan 10, 2009
Kif said:
DragunovHUN said:
Oh, now i see. So he had no need/use for it. But couldn't it be that he needed it for another one of his builds?
If a warlock, shaman, and pala can use it then the item was almost certainly a magic enhancing item... so nope, warriors have no use for magic they just hit stuff to try and irritate it enough to hit them back.
I admit i don't know anything about WOW. So if someone's a warrior, is there something preventing him from giving this item to another character of his, which is something other than a warrior?

Kif

Jun 2, 2009
DragunovHUN said:
I admit i don't know anything about WOW. So if someone's a warrior, is there something preventing him from giving this item to another character of his, which is something other than a warrior?
Yep, in WoW bind on pickup items, currency, experience, what factions think of you pretty much everything is all per character rather than per account. I would imagine in an effort to increase the time people spend playing, I know when I played I had my main and several other chars for making potions, disenchanting things etc etc.

So assuming the item in question was dropped from a boss and therefore binds to the character who picks it up, the warrior can only sell it to a vender for a small amount of currency or equip it and face the risk of people mocking him for wearing a magic based item... the third and far more rare option being ticket a games master to send the item to the next highest roller who needed.

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
I think it comes down to, everyone makes mistakes when they start playing. Elitism is all over World of Warcraft, you can't ask any questions and mistakes aren't tolerated. You basically have to be perfect from day 1 now. It's one of the reasons I didn't play for more than a few months.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Xbowhyena said:
Well there was a shaman and a warrior who were constantly getting on my nerves
That's why I never ever do instances.
DragunovHUN said:
Kif said:
DragunovHUN said:
Oh, now i see. So he had no need/use for it. But couldn't it be that he needed it for another one of his builds?
If a warlock, shaman, and pala can use it then the item was almost certainly a magic enhancing item... so nope, warriors have no use for magic they just hit stuff to try and irritate it enough to hit them back.
I think the item in question was BOP (Binds on pick up).

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
handofpwn said:
Because everyone starts out a noob. Its an unfortunate fact of life. If I said I didnt roll on a trinket when I wasnt supposed to I would be lieing. But now I know better!
If your level 30-40, you should know that the Triune Amulet is not for warriors.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
It's because people are selfish and irresponsible. I don't know if it's a birth defect or if they just got raised wrong or what.

A lot of people can act responsible if you set a good example and tell them that what they are doing is wrong, but unfortunately a lot of people won't.

I recommend you talk to the people who join you and find out if they are trustworthy or not, this won't always work, people lie, but it helps, trust me.

Evilvikingking

May 2, 2009
KaZZaP said:
Its WoW, that game is 85% retards. That's the price you pay for something like 12 million players.
You speak as if from experience. Takes one to know one, friend.

Handofpwn

Aug 6, 2008
Mrsnugglesworth said:
handofpwn said:
Because everyone starts out a noob. Its an unfortunate fact of life. If I said I didnt roll on a trinket when I wasnt supposed to I would be lieing. But now I know better!
If your level 30-40, you should know that the Triune Amulet is not for warriors.
I have never even heard of the triune amulet before... so no, i did not know that it is not for warriors.

-Orpheus-

May 5, 2009
Xionis Zeshun said:
My theory is all the "good" players are already high lvl, they've mastered the game, and breeze through the low lvls, bypassing the lower dungeons unless they're twinking. This leaves only noobs, retards, and chronic sufferers of mental decay to populate the lower levels.
Heaven forbid I decide to join an already established MMO. It is just this sort of attitude that puts me off. I have played a few MMOs over the years and generally have a good idea what I am doing. I cannot, however, jump into a new game and be an instant expert. It is so annoying when you join a new game wandering around on your own because established players assume you are a noob.

YYZed

Jun 25, 2008
silly not lvl 80 and your everyone can roll system

lrn2lootmaster

2nd post:

being level 80 also doesnt make you automatically good at the game, there are quite a lot of people at 80 that raid naxx and dont know how to play their class (they are called scrubs :D) and ive seen people roll on stuff that isnt for there class plenty of times...but like i said loot master...

3rd post:

ALSO why is there a 3 page rant about a crappy blue neck slot that you will replace with a superior 10 silver green in the AH within your next 3 levels anyways?

Fighterblaze

Feb 17, 2009
General Ken8 said:
I USED to play Runescape, and people were so dumb on that game
when my friends made me go onto nonmember worlds, all these noobs would swarm me because i had cool armor and weapons
when i used to have a granite maul, some guy walked up and shouted "Cool Rock Hammer Dude!"
?
So, because someone complimented your stuff it makes them an idiot?
you are a twat.

Reaperman64

Dec 16, 2008
I am an MMO Noob. i played wow for a few weeks and has a few raids and its fun.

however ive never wiped my party (even a noob knows when to run and hide) or ninjaed anything on purpose (didnt know what my warlock could and couldnt use)

you sir do not hate newbs or even noobs. you sir hate jackasses which can be found in abundence in mmos

one guy offered to take me through RFK. he got me about halfway round the big circle that thing is...he then told me to wait and exited the dungeon. i got a /whisper saying har har har noob.

VicunaBlue

Feb 8, 2009
I was n a pug once, and the leaer had decided that it would be a good idea for the mage (me) to pull. end result, I have no loot or exp. because I WAS DEAD FOR MOST OF IT.

NE-NE-NE-NECROPOST

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Pankeyman said:
Wow? What about other games? Like CoD4, TF2, GW, and ect?
Thing I like about GW is because it's instanced all the "noobs" are left in the starter area and all the "newbs" progress. This way all you have to do is avoid starter areas like Shing Jea.

TF2 is just hilarious, people don't understand the amount of skill involved so noobs are bagged way too easily.

CoD4 is noob central, there's always a few hardcore players on the map and there's always the noobs shouting hax!.