Nostalgia that HAS NOT let you down

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
I'm not exactly sure how I should have phrased the name of this thread, but here's what my question (and subsequently the thread) is about:

You always hear about nostalgia being a pair of spectacles with dirt, scratches and greasy smudges on the lenses. Games, movies, shows ... you always hear people say that the things they thought were great many years ago (usually during childhood) they now think are rubbish.

So, my question is: What game, movie, show, comic book, or anything else that you liked years ago and that you had on the infamous "nostalgia blinders" for still stand the test of time? That you can still like ever after you have grown and matured? For me, it's Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast. To this day I think it's a great game.

How about all you other Escapists out there? What's yours?

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Star Wars, the original trilogy. Every year or so, I sit down and watch them, and I always enjoy myself.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Riven is still as awesome as I remember it being, although its also a good deal less traumatic.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Suikoden II

I love that game just as much now as I did when it game out over a decade ago. The graphics are charming because they were polishing up a style and not trying to break new ground. The music and story are amazing.

In terms of movies:
The Original Transformers movie.

phatty500

Mar 25, 2009
About once a year i stumble across a 64 controller and remaster 007 goldeneye all over agian. I really wish they would release just a hd port of the original instead of the weird gameplay they had on the wii version.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Theres a series of games called "Avernum".

And theyer relatively new. But they play like older RPG's from the 90's.
I recommend it to anyone who likes Baulder's Gate style point and click RPG's.

And the story harkens back to good old Fantasy RPGs like Neverwinter. Its a bit pricey, but well worth it in my opinion.

duktapeman90

Fhqwhgads
Aug 16, 2009
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. My favorite in the series and one of my favorite games overall. I usually play through that game at least once a year.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Disney movies. I never would have though it, but they often - wait for it - get BETTER with age.

There's all sorts of stuff I get now that I didn't when I was a child! And the musical numbers... I liked them back then, but I LOVE some of them now. Hellfire, Poor Unfortunate Souls, Go the Distance, I'll Make a Man Out of You... bad-ass, high-quality songs for awesome movies. GO DISNEY I LOVE YOU!

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Mr Thin said:
Disney movies. I never would have though it, but they often - wait for it - get BETTER with age.
I didn't really appreciate Bambi till I was like... 15... I can get behind this I think...

Disclaimer: Only for the classics.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
A fair few cartoons. Invader Zim, Billy And Mandy, Disney movies. I've been watching the X-Men series, all of it for the first time, and it's really not a bad show. For games there's Klonoa. A bit easier than I found it to be back when I was 8, but still a fun game.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
The first season of Pokemon, I refuse to believe the latter ones are better. The original Star Wars trilogy is great, as are a lot of the cartoons of my youth. Most of the stuff I like either holds up or is now affably bad and really fun to watch.

Then there's Power Rangers...

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
phatty500 said:
About once a year i stumble across a 64 controller and remaster 007 goldeneye all over agian. I really wish they would release just a hd port of the original instead of the weird gameplay they had on the wii version.
Well, fortunately, there's always Goldeneye: Source.

The guys who made that game (as well as the TimeSplitters series) are now CryTek UK. Even though I've never played the game (I had a Dreamcast at the time), I still think it would be cool for that, along with TimeSplitters 2, to get HD remakes with the CryEngine.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
Chrono Trigger and Breath of Fire 3.

Both had a awesome story and some pretty unique features for their day. I'll bust one or the other out occasionally, and everytime I do, I am never disappointed

ScrubberDucky

Feb 17, 2011
Fire Emblem as a whole. I will admit to being very biased in every way about Fire Emblem as a franchise, since I played it from almost the very beginning of my gaming days, but I swear that it still stands up today, although with the writing just becoming a wee bit cheesier now that I'm older.