Notch Challenges Bethesda to Lawsuit Deathmatch

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
ALL legal Copyright law suits should be done this way!
it beats having over payed lawyers bullshitting each other!

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
This is awesome.
And it reminds me of a book I once read where law was settled by tournament matches in an MMO.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
That's fucking retarded, If I made a fast food company named McRonald's then I wouldn't challenge McDonald's to an eating competition for the trademark.

Pathetic publicity stunt.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Major respect for Notch for suggesting this. Major respect for Bethesda if they agree to it.(One can hope) And if they do by some miracle agree to it, I want to watch that battle.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
the deathmatch should be televised or at least streamed
i would watch it a tdm with acctuall real world consiquences hell yes.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Traun said:
Lt. Vinciti said:
Traun said:
Andy Chalk said:
Well, Bethesda? What say you?
Considering that they are first class dicks, they'd probably go with it in court.
They = Lawyer Yes?

Sounds like how it should be...a gentlemans sport to see who wins...
No, I mean Bethesda. Look up their relationship with Interplay.

Here's the short story of it if you don't know.

1.Interplay is making a Fallout MMO.
2.Interplay is nearing bankruptcy.
3.Interplay sell the Fallout licence to Bethesda, the agreement is "We make Fallout MMO, you make Fallout games."
4.Bethesda makes Fallout 3.
5.Bethesda makes millions.
6.Bethesda goes full Kotick and sues Interplay to take away the rights for the MMO.
7.Court says no.
8.Bethesda know Interplay are standing on their last leg and is suing them again hoping to drain their resources in court battle.
hold on, don't go bashing Bethesda for that, Interplay is totally at fault there. The deal was that Interplay could make a Fallout MMO, but only if it didn't use any of series' established devices. Which would seriously cripple the possibilities, and i can see where that's a dick move, but Interplay fairly sold the rights to Bethesda. who paid millions for that IP. as far as the world is concerned, interplay has nothing to do with Fallout, and never has. It must suck to sell your baby that you nutured so hard, but they did. And NOW that Bethesda brought the name back to the public eye, they want a piece of Bethesda's pie? No sir. Sorry, you're baby's been adopted. By richer, better parents that take care of it better than you obviously could you destitute schmucks. Watch from the sidelines,

LIKE THE REST OF US WHO DON'T OWN FALLOUT'S IP!

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
Rooster Cogburn said:
I understand that Bethesda is taking action against Mojang because they have to
Actually, they don't. The word "Scrolls" is not their trademark, nor could it be since it's a proper noun. Just by way of comparison, TSR (yes, the original D&D people) once trademarked the word "Nazi" for their Indiana Jones RPG --- and that wasn't about to fly, either.

A trademark isn't endangered until and unless there's enough similarity that a real issue of confusion exists --- and there isn't any chance of that, here. The fact that Bethesda demanded a "pile of cash" up front also means this isn't just a cease-and-desist; it's a simple money grab.

I hope Notch takes 'em to court and thrashes 'em so hard they'll WISH they got whipped in a round of Quake.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
This is asinine.

You don't settle a court case by playing Quake. Legal problems are solved legally. Notch is a fool to think otherwise, even if he is joking (which, evidently, he isn't).

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Well, this...this could work. I expect Bethesda might be regretting their choice of raising this issue over the negative PR it's netted them, but it's got precedent. Look at Avatar and The Last Airbender. The latter had to change its name, despite having an older source material, because the former came out first. And with Skyrim about to come out (most assuredly with The Elder Scrolls attached to it), I can sort of see where they're coming from.

But this move? I like it. It's like Thunderdome, only there's no hard feelings and neither side ends up actually dead. And, best of all, it keeps two of my favorite game producers from getting tied up in a costly legal battle.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Notch has style...
Although i can't see Bethesda taking this, even though their lawsuit holds no steam.
Anyway, this is awsome.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
I want the battle Live Streamed. This match would be something for the history books.

Comieman

Jul 25, 2010
MOOORTAAAL KOOOMBAAAAT

Now I wished all legal issues between game publishers were dealt with like this.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
No seriously... if everyone settled all their differences over a game like this, how much better a place would this world be.
I had dreams of this as a kid.

"Your fence protrudes 10 centimetres on to my property."
"What the hell! It protrudes 10 centimetres on to my property!"

"Ok then, first to ten in Street Fighter 4, no character changes - winner is right."
"You're going down b!tch! My Ryu is LETHAL!"

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Oh my... that is awesome! Notch is... EPIC! Hopefully Bethesda accept the challenge, only way they can regain face for such a stupid lawsuit. And screw legal process, this idea is too awesome to pass up!

angelrubio

Dec 31, 2008
King Toasty said:
jamiedf said:
a ballsy move, which i appreciate, but the law student in me wants to smack notch upside the head for suggesting such a thing ha so yeah im a little torn on this
But it's perfect! It won't cost the court anything, it'll raise publicity, it'll ease tensions between studios, and it might become the new norm for game devs!
my thoughts exactly