Notch is a degenerate

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
Are you totally mad?

Notch made one good game and founded a studio that, in all honesty, was never going to match their initial success. Instead of squandering his success on a slow death, yeah, he sold out (although I doubt he'd put it that way). He's now a near-billionaire, and paying each employee three mil is LITTLE? If my company sold out and I got a three million dollar golden parachute, I'd use six of it to buy my billionaire boss a beer for setting me up for life.

Yeah it sucks that MS ate up another little developer but as a person Notch did nothing wrong and cheated nobody.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I agree with the OP. I mean, with all that money, he's going to sweep the Desert Bus auctions. D:

[sub]Octopimp am cry[/sub]

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
and your point is?

minecraft has been running on *essentially* free updates for the last few years i mean it must have been at least 3 years now that it went into beta and 2 years since it was considered finished

hell minecraft beta started on December 20, 2010 and you could have called it complete, the game had tons of playability just on its own merits and has been polished over the last 4 years

so long story short, the game was practically finished when it came out onto beta but notch decided to continuously update it and polish it over

essentially your just bitter because the game is no longer "indie"

btw your argument about natural selection being "something" better, you do realise there's a lot more to minecraft than just putting some pictures on a block, right?

there's a lot more coding involved in minecraft than in natural selection 2, you know?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Duster said:
1. Your abrasive tone doesn't make you sound smart, nor does your use of condescending words. It outs you as an elitist and your opinions in a lot of folks eyes are going to be invalidated by your insulting tone. Just a few words of advice, if you want to be taken seriously I'd drop the pretentious arrogance you are showing here.

2. Comparing a CEO who took excessive vacations to a guy who started a company almost by accident and a game that he very likely didn't expect to be as big as it became is ridiculous. Notch did nothing unethical by selling his company, he probably did the smartest thing possible.

3. So your indie game of choice didn't sell as well as Minecraft, beg someone else for a tissue. It means absolutely nothing except that maybe just maybe Minecraft is much more universally accessible for gamers from all walks of life. Whether you like it or not isn't relevant to the discussion nor is comparing an apple to an orange.

So you've succeeded in being the angry internet guy who seems to think opinion = fact. I'll give you an opinion, I think you're that guy who sees someone else succeed in life at something you yourself can't do, are jealous of that success and are lashing out in any way you can. I'd suggest that you do something constructive with your time but I doubt you'd take advice from a faceless goat demon.
Enjoy your life as much as you can, with your attitude it seems like there's little to enjoy thout.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
The difference between Notch and Mark Kern is that Notch actually released a game. Minecraft has been out since at least 2009 and continually updated since then. At times, sure, it's been sporadic, but the game is out and so long as he, or others he paid, kept working on it, no matter how sporadically, that doesn't change the fact that the game was out, and later given an official release in 2011. What about Firefall? We've known about it since 2010 and it just now got a release on July 29, 2014. Not to mention that Mark Kern was as bad to work for as Brendan McNamara.

And if you call three million dollars a small handful, you must be rolling in money yourself. I'd love to have gotten a bonus of $3,000,000, myself. It's going to take most of my life just to get somewhere close to that amount.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Notch didn't want to work on minecraft anymore. It's not "selling out" to sell of something you don't want, and which requires a lot of your time. It's simply a good decision.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Duster said:
I read an article on notch recently

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-09-17-rust-creator-id-have-done-the-same-thing-on-mojang-deal

In this the creator of gmod goes on to praise notch for selling out to microsoft without any hesitation. The thing is, all he does is praise the bussiness mindset. Notch doesn't really take up noteworthy professional ethics.

A few months ago, people where insanely angry about the firefall ceo taking hundreds of thousands of dollars for vacations and stuff, and he got fired.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1tuf3c/this_is_why_mark_kern_was_removed_as_ceo_by_red_5/

So let's look at notch:

http://oi53.tinypic.com/r73yps.jpg

Then consider he sold out IMMEDIATELY to microsoft and paid the small handful of his employees 3 million each.

Now that THAT's considered, let's look at the product

http://i.imgur.com/j9vViQV.png

developed by a small indie developer

Now let's look at another indie title developed from scratch with not nearly a fraction of the profits.

http://i.imgur.com/MUtK62d.jpg

Now that THAT's considered, let's look at a bunch of manchildren act passive aggressive and like mongoloids in response to young children that they are offended by, to the point where they can't even answer basic questions about the game they are developing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRdcptG365I
So what? Are you trying to argue Notch is an asshole for making a successful game that isn't a graphical powerhouse, making his employees rich, and selling the company he created and owned so he could do other things besides Minecraft when he had no interest in continuing to be a CEO more than a developer?

Because if that's what you're getting at then you're about as wrong as a person can get about anything ever.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
He made a product, he sold it and now he's rich, I'm not seeing what the issue is here, I mean whatever he does with his money is his deal, it doesn't really matter.

He didn't really seem to have done anything particularly bad along the way, which makes him cool in my book.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
What exactly is the point of this thread? you don't think Minecraft is as good as Natural Selection 2? Well, too bad, there are plenty of games I liked that weren't as popular as games I didn't like, that doesn't make their creators degenerates, it just means my tastes sometimes differ from the masses, Natural Selection 2 is a fun game, but I enjoyed Minecraft more, and for a longer period of time, and by the looks of sales numbers, so did a lot of other people.

as for anything else, maybe its because I live in Nevada, where people vacation a lot, and prostitution is legal in some areas, but I don't see why I should give a shit what Notch does with the money Microsoft gave him. The Firefall guy spent company money that could have gone towards making the company's game, Notch completed his game, and it is kind of fucked up to expect him to be required to keep making games for the rest of his life if he doesn't want to. he made his product and sold it very successfully, and even had the decency to give really fat bonuses to all his employees, which rarely happens in these types of buyouts, and pretty much never to the tune of 3 million dollars. Microsoft basically just paid him for the rights to a finished product which he can choose to use that money however he wants, if he wants to retire and spend the rest of his life investing in other projects or traveling the world, that's his right, and I honestly see nothing in your OP that would qualify him as a degenerate, or really even in the wrong in any way, he's not a great public speaker, and really that's the worst I can say about him given what was linked in the original post.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
If someone offered me 2.5 billion dollars, I shudder to think what I WOULDN'T do.

Also, comparing Minecraft to Natural Selection 2? A game where you make structures/explore caves/mess around with circuitry and make a little fantasy living against another multiplayer shooter that's a dime a dozen these days.
Sure, choose your poison, but I'm burned out on Destiny already, but can't get enough of Minecraft.

EDIT - Point isn't entirely clear. What I'm saying is: Just bloody play what you enjoy and stop pointing out the shittiness of things you don't like. All it does is negatively energise yourself and others into anger. Sure, discuss why games are good/bad, but there's a difference between that and straight shit-flinging (which I'm not saying OP did, just in general).

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
What? You're pissed at notch for managing to make a hit game, then sell it and make boatloads of money? What the hell's wrong with that?

"Anyone who was decent wouldn't sell their game for 2.5BN USD" -Duster 2014

Sorry bro, but you're living in some silly fantasy world.

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Notch *got out*, he didn't sell out.

Selling out is compromising one's own artistic integrity for money. Notch didn't compromise anything. He wanted to develop other games besides Minecraft, and felt that Minecraft was an albatross around his neck. So he got market value for it and is now free to put his time into more artistically-fulfilling work.

It's fair to criticize Notch for selling Minecraft. The mega-corporation Microsoft may or may not do anything worthwhile with Minecraft from an artistic point of view, and if they don't then Notch's decision to sell it will forever be a source of hurt and anger for lovers of Minecraft all over the world.

Artists *have to* be a bit selfish, in order to fulfill their creative needs. This isn't the first artist dealing with an albatross, and it's very unfair to harshly criticize someone who feels trapped by his own creation. Free artists are much happier than enslaved ones.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Random Gamer said:
endtherapture said:
I would sell my game to Microsoft if I could get $2.5bn for it.
I'd sell my dad for 2.5 bn. Hell, I'd sell him for far less than that.

And Notch is on the record for saying he would only sell out for 2 billion or more. Looks like Microsoft is a good listener. (on the other hand, I really don't think Mojang is worth that much.
At one level, I find it sad that big success stories can be bought, but then I know plenty sold out for far less than that, so I can't get mad at Notch.
I'd sell your dad and End's game too.

I sincerely hope notch enjoys his share of the fortune that was paid and, should he feel compelled to, try his hand at developing something.
Might be able to try that space based game they were considering a few years ago.

Or failing that, just build himself a money pit and swim in it all day.

Dec 16, 2009
i couldn't watch all the YT link as it was dull. so this may be the reason I'm missing the point of this thread as I don't feel the OP actually made a point. Is it just me feeling that way?

DerpHerpilous

May 16, 2013
Mr Ink 5000 said:
i couldn't watch all the YT link as it was dull. so this may be the reason I'm missing the point of this thread as I don't feel the OP actually made a point. Is it just me feeling that way?
I doubt that it's just you feeling that way, he mostly just rambled on about how he is a bit buttmad that Notch is no longer supporting a game that made him gaming famous and still getting attention for it, where as some shitty game he likes didn't get enough to make him squeal like a tween at opening night for Twilight.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
Well this thread certainly won't become a shitstorm(sarcasm)
I don't even give single shit about what notch does so him supposedly being a degenerate means nothing to me. on top of that It just seem like the op is just ranting.

my advise for the op is listen to some relaxing music and calm down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1YRu2pqK3g&index=119&list=PL9349666407FD48C2

Muspelheim said:
"Did someone say Degenerates?"

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110117134809/fallout/images/thumb/a/a9/Vulpes_Inculta.jpg/640px-Vulpes_Inculta.jpg

"For I believe I heard someone say Degenerates. I brought my crosses with me."
this just makes me think about getting back to working on my fallout new vegas mod. anyway that was a decently entertain post.

jamtea

Aug 8, 2013
Duster said:
He's not evil for this but he is a degenerate. Anybody who actually was decent would massively expand the company and take on projects, instead of cashing out.
Clearly the OP has a keen business sense and must be earning millions if not billions. Otherwise why would he make such a statement if he couldn't back it up by a fat stack of cash and multiple 'projects' on the go. What a decent fellow he must be. Certainly not a degenerate like that buffoon Notch. He wouldn't know how to run a business if he tried! Ohohoh!

Dec 16, 2009
DerpHerpilous said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
I doubt that it's just you feeling that way, he mostly just rambled on about how he is a bit buttmad that Notch is no longer supporting a game that made him gaming famous and still getting attention for it, where as some shitty game he likes didn't get enough to make him squeal like a tween at opening night for Twilight.
can I join in? I'd like to complain that Legacy of Kain didn't get as many squeals as CoD, and every person involved in making CoD, sells glue to children

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
I find it funny the OP refers to hack businessmen and stuff when it's the state of business in general.. LOADS of companies change hands and "sell out" to bigger companies.. it's part of the industry in a lot of ways. I don't think Notch "sold out" by selling the company to Microsoft, he just took advantage of a business decision that was offered to him and hey at least his workers got 3 million bucks each.. I've heard of multi-billion dollar buyouts where the employees get next to nothing.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Word of advice OP, if you want to be taken seriously, don't use terms like Mongoloid like that ever. It reeks of immaturity. In fact, that one line gives your entire a post an air of jealous and juvenile aggression. It says more about you then it could ever say about Notch. As if the only way for you to tackle your issues with Notch was to compare him to mentally and physically retarded individuals (assuming you are going by the common vernacular understanding of the word) and also claim that he lives a life of sin and excess (easiest way to make someone cartoonishly evil). It shows you have no confidence in your own argument, to the point where you need to poison the discussion against him from the start.

You claim to be passionate about video games, but you seem more interested on dismantling Notches success (or at least any respect the community might have for him) then you are about promoting lesser known productions or small time developers. You think you are taking on a tyrant simply because the man has made more then anyone could have imagined. That this is some sort of injustice against us.

It isn't.

My personal take on Minecraft is that it was a fluke. Notch got lucky. He made the game at the right time, marketed it to the right people and fostered just enough goodwill to create a snowball effect that far exceeded both his expectations and his ability. And you know what? That's exactly what he thinks too. He has been nothing but humble about his successes and it hasn't been all "hookers and blow" to him.

http://notch.net/2014/09/im-leaving-mojang/

But your mind is already set. This is all obviously a deflection, he's only trying to avoid reparations for... whatever crime it was he committed. So keep fighting the "good" fight. Fight for the little man. Topple tyrants... *yadda yadda, ego stroking revolutionist rhetoric*.

Just remember that not too long ago, Notch was nobody and him becoming somebody was not entirely of his own volition. I mean, surely you should be pleased right? Notch is only leaving because his confidence is wrecked. You literally crushed his spirit. Good on ya. Microsoft gave him a sweet deal, one that would set him for life AND bail him out of the monster he had long since lost control over. Who wouldn't take such on offer?

Torrents of abuse or billions of dollars? What a tough choice.

Frankly, he didn't sell out... he got out.

And that money is his to do as he pleases with. Your entitlement ends with the product you paid for as it was at the time of purchase. If that's a problem for you, well... Caveat Emptor. That's all you were guaranteed to get.