Notch Is Worried He Might Never Top Minecraft

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Notch Is Worried He Might Never Top Minecraft

Minecraft creator, Markus "Notch" Persson is worried that his future games may seem "a bit pointless and hollow compared to the success of Minecraft."

"Everyone has at least one good book in them," goes the popular adage. Ostensibly it's meant to be encouraging, a reminder that even the most terrible writers can, with effort, produce at least one worthwhile book. However, I've always found it kind of grim, some people only get one book, just one. "You want to write more? No, you've used up your talent allotment, citizen #4589, and yes, I want fries with that."

Game developers seem to feel something similar. Talking to Eurogamer at GDC in San Francisco, Notch voiced concerns that he might never match the success of Minecraft, and admitted that he might have preferred success to come later in his career.

"It kind of feels like the level of cultural impact that Minecraft has had will be very difficult to replicate," he said. "It kind of feels like whatever I do next is never going to be as big. I'm kind of worried about everything feeling a bit pointless and hollow compared to the success of Minecraft."

Despite the fact Mojang is currently working on Scrolls and made its first foray into publishing with Cobalt, Notch himself hasn't started any major projects since Minecraft.

"Honestly, it would have been more fun to have the Minecraft success in 15 years rather than have it as I just started to do my own thing," he continued. "Because it's going to be anti-climactic. It's a bit strange because the narrative - we have the big hit up front and just try to replicate it - it becomes a bit sad. You make a huge hit and then you sit around making smaller games - it's a sad narrative."

Whether it lives up to its predecessor or not, we should be seeing Notch's follow-up to Minecraft sometime soon. He mentioned that he's "probably" going to start work on something new this summer, before dropping a hint that it may be a space game with similarities to Elite.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-12-notch-trying-to-top-minecraft-could-prove-pointless-and-hollow]

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I don't think it's possible to feel sad for Notch considering the sizable nest egg he has. Frankly, as long as he stays creative and has ideas in his head (and the money to realize it) he'll strike gold again at some point. I believe that, anyway. It might be he only has one good product in the whole of his life but considering how inspired Minecraft was I don't think he'll have THAT much trouble making at least another good game... and thanks to Minecraft, budget is no longer an issue. So forgive me, but this isn't really as sad as Notch thinks it is.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Andy of Comix Inc said:
I don't think it's possible to feel sad for Notch considering the sizable nest egg he has. Frankly, as long as he stays creative and has ideas in his head (and the money to realize it) he'll strike gold again at some point. I believe that, anyway. It might be he only has one good product in the whole of his life but considering how inspired Minecraft was I don't think he'll have THAT much trouble making at least another good game... and thanks to Minecraft, budget is no longer an issue. So forgive me, but this isn't really as sad as Notch thinks it is.
On the other hand. Look at Guns and Roses. Lots of money, lots of talent. Then Chinese Democracy happened.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Grey Carter said:
On the other hand. Look at Guns and Roses. Lots of money, lots of talent. Then Chinese Democracy happened.
Yet another memory to suppress...

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
That's ok Notch, just publish. You can still tinker at the edges of stuff produced in house. Let's face it you aren't Carmack, don't try to be. Really an Elite type game? We have the X games and StarWraith as well as EveOnline and maybe even Blockade Runner. How about a space COMBAT game, about COMBAT. You can go the Freespace 2 dog-fighting route or the Independence War capital ship route or better still try to incorporate both.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well Notch is quite right to think that he cant top Minecraft.

But that doesnt mean hes not right to try.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Agreed. Hes not going to top the right place right time success of minecraft. In order to do that it would mean he would have to take time off from his overwhelming vacation schedule and plan a vacation so he can conceptualize what kind of game to not make next.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I don't think he should be trying to top Minecraft. Not every game he makes needs to be so market shattering and I think the majority of his fans will be fine with that. Hell, look at Tim Schafer. The man is a god among game creators simply because he puts his heart and soul into every project and isn't concerned with "topping" his past work. It shows in the final product and I think if Notch follows a similar practice his career will be a long and celebrated one within the medium.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
evilneko said:
Notch is gonna make an Elite-like?

Hmmmmmmmm....

Sorry to get off topic but between your pic and your tag this post has an almost dangerous amount of Loli in it, all it's missing some Ro-Kyu-Bu!

To get on topic I can understand Notch's worry, when you shoot to the top that fast where honestly are you suppose to go. EVERYTHING he ever makes is going to have this sentence in the review "while not as good as minecraft...", there will literally be no way to escape the comparisons.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
When you can construct a swimming pool out of money and liquidize more money to swim in, nothing about your story is sad.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
kajinking said:
Sorry to get off topic but between your pic and your tag this post has an almost dangerous amount of Loli in it, all it's missing some Ro-Kyu-Bu!

But I still want to know more about this Elite-like Notch plans!

Then again there's still Oolite... [http://www.oolite.org/]

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
Minecraft can never be recreated by Notch because Minecraft was the product of more than just the game and its own merits: Minecraft was a cultural sensation spurred on by its lack of pretense-- it wasn't advertised, it wasn't finished, purchasing it required the most modest of sums, and you never heard of the guy who made it. It became an 'inside' sort of thing where people post pictures of it on 4chan and use Minecraft lingo while the rest of us scratch our heads, look at pixelized photos of some ugly game and wonder what the appeal could be? For the longest time I thought it was just hipsters who have latched on to something new and different solely because it was new and different-- or worse, an invented sensation that doesn't exist to confuse 'newfriends' such as the persistent fingerboxes. Then I tried it.

Notch is now a known quantity and wealthy to boot. He is no longer indie and anything he makes in the future will be colored against those facts.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Notch making a space game? My interest has been grabbed.

Oh and a man with an awesome hat on this site once said something about dying after making the crowning achievement of your life or something. I can't be assed to find that one Yahtzee quote...

xqxm

Oct 17, 2008
It's funny, because Minecraft was basically just an infiniminer with the gameplay removed, and rewritten in Java because some men just want to watch the world burn.

He got lucky, rather than creative, is what i'm saying.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Redlin5 said:
Notch making a space game? My interest has been grabbed.

Oh and a man with an awesome hat on this site once said something about dying after making the crowning achievement of your life or something. I can't be assed to find that one Yahtzee quote...
Would this be said quote?

"If there's one thing history has taught us, besides not to piss off people called Genghis or put lead in your water pipes, it's that if you're going to make something incredibly good that becomes frighteningly popular, make sure it's the last thing you ever make in your entire life because otherwise you get to spend the rest of your creative career struggling under the weight of high expectations and bricks."

From the Spore review.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
He should accept his fate for now and focus on making a sequel to minecraft. Or rather, hire the best of the minecraft modding community and just put his name on the finished project.

I'm sure Sid Meier / Will Wright / Peter Molyneux all realized at one point "I'll never top the first Civilization / Sim City / Populous." But 20 years later they are still doing well, and games made by other people under their names sell well and get high reviews.