Notch Posts Test Video of Mojang's New Game

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I've sunk hundreds of hours into Minecraft and I've already decided I have no reason to care about any of his future projects. He made other games before Minecraft and nobody cared about them. He's far from a brilliant game designer (even if Infiniminer had never existed, a game made of blocks where the only selling point is "you can do anything you want" isn't exactly rocket science), but at least he's committed to continuing to work on new games instead of just retiring young.

ciancon said:
I still don't understand the name....

Zero multiplied by ten to the power of the speed of light is still zero.
As such, i will continue to call this game "Zero" (also cos it's easier).
0x[number] is a common format for error codes (and the "x" is just an x, not a multiplication sign). Why there would be an exponent in it, though, is the question.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
This actually looks fairly cool. Looking forward to seeing where they go with this. :)

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Consider me underwhelmed, I get that it is early stages, but if he wants the game to sell then he will need more than that in his next video/demonstration.

I am still intrigued, but that video told me little, comments here suggest coding is part of the game or something? If so, that will limit the player base I would imagine.

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
TheKasp said:
Mr.Squishy said:
It..looks like half-life by way of Doom. And the gameplay honestly looks kind of shit. Is notch out of his skull? Or does he expect that his rabid fan army will gobble up game in which they can count the pixels?
But that is it. His rabid fan army will gobble that up. In the eyes of too many Notch seems to be some kind of gaming Jesus and I really can't comprehend it.

He could shit in 1000 boxes and would find people who would pay if he'd shat in 1000 more.
Someone's got a grudge......

OT: Seems like a first person FTL. I guess we'll see how it turns out. Not much more to say, really.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
I want to play this. I know it's stupid to get so excited for a game I know very little about, but two things are certain:

Minecraft is awesome.
Mojang's sophomore game debut.

Because of both of these I am officially excited about 0x10c.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Steve the Pocket said:
ciancon said:
I still don't understand the name....

Zero multiplied by ten to the power of the speed of light is still zero.
As such, i will continue to call this game "Zero" (also cos it's easier).
0x[number] is a common format for error codes (and the "x" is just an x, not a multiplication sign). Why there would be an exponent in it, though, is the question.
0x is a common notation for hexadecimal numbers. 0x10 would be 16 as decimal notation. So 16 to the power of speed of light perhaps. 16^c

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Oh cool! Mojang is making an FPS from the mid 90s. I am so just so thrilled I could have a heart-attack and die.

Hurr... blah!

Seriously though, why is this an FPS? If Mojang wanted resource management, I'm sure there are better gameplay options than "shoot at things with a gun always in the same two spots in front of you".

---

Now, what would be cool is if this were somehow a sequel to Minecraft. The end result, you might say of Minecraft, is to make massively cool things.

So you wake up, a descendent of Steve, in a world that he eventually either had a hand in or started the world towards. Now, instead of a pickaxe and shovel... you have wire-cutters and a blow-torch.

With the ship failing, you have to find these tools to gather resources from the ship much like you did in Minecraft in order to repair it enough to get to a bigger ship or a space-station. You have to sacrifice certain things in order to get the materials for important items, like a build a new power converter, relocate a bulkhead, or even a create a redstone circuit board. Sure, there can be guns that you shoot, but it would just be an upgraded version of swinging a sword at each other.

Various creation instructions could be found on the on-board computer, so you don't have to guess or look it up on the internet. Fixing the on-board computer could be the first task and a great tutorial opener.

Then, if you succeed at getting to a fleet or a space station, it becomes more open-world with you "salvaging" parts from various places to make a home for yourself. The old enemies could be back too: Space-faring Creepers; Zombie outbreaks; Pigmen colony ships.

---

That's not what this game is though, it's a mid-90s fps with resource management as a feature.
Hurrblah.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
It's in pre-alpha for God's sake! It doesn't show off anything of the game so who cares? Even the textures are placeholders.

Apr 25, 2009
Jesus on a biscuit, stop arguing about what is literally a video of a bare-bones concept engine and a bunch of made-in-ten-seconds placeholder graphics.

Who know's where he's gonna go with this? Quit condemning it or getting excited, it's completely pointless at this stage.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
We need more space games.

I hope he won't slack off with it like he did with Minecraft. There's every reason for him not to neglect it, he SHOULD have his shit together at this point.

FTL showed me that there's so much to be explored in space sims like it. I like the backstory that he cooked up for this. So I support Notch's efforts here, and I'm quite curious about this. However, I looked into a bit more and read some unsavory things.

0x10c is expected to be the first Mojang game with a monthly fee for online play in multiplayer mode (but no recurring fee for single player mode). Markus Persson says that this is because of the cost to "emulate all computers and physics even when players aren't logged in." However, there will be a free online mode that doesn't emulate physics when unlogged. The first one will be called "Hyperplayer". It was revealed via Twitter that the pricing will be similar to Minecraft, with alpha costing less than beta, and beta costing less than the full release
Boy. You'd better be sure your pay-to-play online mode is actually worth a damn. It's hard for me to imagine how he'd make that work unless the game itself is an MMO. But hey I could be surprised.

At least there's the free-multiplayer alternative. Something about the idea of me and my friends working together within a space ship in a dying universe trying to survive sounds incredibly awesome to me. I got my eye on this for sure.

Tinkotin

Feb 28, 2011
TheKasp said:
Heh, he'll probably leave it unfinished and shitty to some other guy to fix so... Call me unimpressed.

It happened before, don't see why it can't happen again.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
That Robot's face makes me really uncomfortable...
Anyway, I think the last video was a huge mistake to release, it was like alpha version 00000.1 and just left an awful taste in everyone's mouth, this one looks at least a tiny bit promising.