Notch Releases Minecraft 1.5 with Weather, Rails

Shakura Jolithion

Nov 9, 2009
I don't like the fact that the pressure plate track crashes the game. I wouldn't mind if it crashes *my* game when I place it next to a rail, but when it crashes the server... that's infuriating. Especially since it not only happens while placing, but if it changes the direction of a normal piece of track, that counts too, and it crashes. Otherwise, great update... I have friends I got into MC this year who complain the new stuff isn't useful, but they joined after rails in the first place.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
I definitely like that powered rails solve alot of problems and weren't something a mod already added. Now just get me a minimap without the use of a mod and we're in business.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
lol @ the people complaining about achievements. Although it is misleading, the achievements don't say "ZOMG DO THIS BECAUSE IT WILL MAKE YOUR E-PEEN BIGGER" it works as a tutorial for new players. OF COURSE THOUGH, people will ignore my post because they will see someone who says "zomg achievements = lame" and just agree with them, even if they don't know what the achievement parameters are.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
CounterAttack said:
One thing I despise about 1.5 is the fact that you cannot create ladders with gaps in them. For example, the common system I used before 1.5 was a ladder piece, then an empty space, then another ladder, rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

Notch "fixed" this with the 1.5 update, so I had to fill out all my ladders and screw up the awesomeness factor in the design of my house. On the upside, the crafting recipe now produces two ladder pieces for seven sticks.
Even worse, water ladders don't work anymore. So, I was about trapped at one place. You have to hold jump to go up, and it is at the same speed as a ladder...

Pretty much all the achievements are stupid start stuff anyway: Get a piece of wood, make a bench, make a furnace, build tools, etc. Only ones that take more than 2 second basic stuff would be traveling 1km from where you start in a mine cart (I'm not going to waste my time making that much track away from my base), making a cake, and riding a pig off a cliff.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
I like the spirit, but I still feel like minecraft has a huge way to still go. Most basically, an improvement to biomes is in order; making them bigger, with finer transitions between, and more interesting flora and fauna for all the different biomes. Raising the height limit would be nice too, and perhaps adding more rocks/building materials.

I feel like it's taken Notch/Mojang waaaay too long to add all these tiny features to the game. I mean, weather's cool and all, but it's really a tiny thing, when compared to what could be done in/for the game.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Fanghawk said:
I like the addition of weather, but out curiosity, is there anything planned about having the snow melt? When I started my current world, the spawn point was surrounded by snow and ice. It's been frustrating enough to clear a path through the water for my boat, and I'd hate to have to do that everytime a snowstorm comes by.

Probably a fair compromise would be allowing snow and ice to melt at certain elevations. After a couple of days snow at water level will start to disappear, while the higher up you go the longer it takes. Eventually, snow becomes a permanent fixture unless you physically clear it off, or construct some kind of furnace network to keep your Skull Fortress snow-free.
Protip: Torches melt snow.

1. Dig a 1-block hole.
2. Stick a torch in the hole.
3. ???
4. Creepers!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
An added thing that pushed this update a bit was that if pigs get hit by lightning, they turn into zombie pigmen.
Greg Tito said:
The Powered Rail [http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Power_Rail], made with gold instead of iron, replaces the various methods used to "boost" carts which players resorted to.

I can't wait to see the rail systems that players can make with the new rails available.
It is actually an alternative, as the "booster" track hasn't been nerfed. Notch hasn't confirmed on if he will remove it in time but he was specific that the way booster tracks work will remain in place through this patch.
For the latter comment, I am eager with anticipation myself. Time to hit the rails!
roostuf said:
yay, immersion. And railway systems yay, now where are fucking wolves?
If you aren't seeing wolves, then you might try reinstalling the updates. They are appearing quite often for me, in fact much more than expected. The reason you may not be seeing them can be numerous. Are you using a custom texture that isn't updated for wolves? In which case you could be getting them but they are just invisible.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Notch: All we need is a beer fountain, hookers, and unicorns to make Minecraft epically epic.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
if this was farmville, no one would give a shit.

but if MINECRAFT (which at this point has become some sort of Jesus of the gaming scene) adds some raindrops and metal poles then everyone goes apeshit.

and we call the casual gaming crowd dumb sheeple?

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
roostuf said:
yay, immersion. And railway systems yay, now where are fucking wolves?
The previous patch.

OT: I've now created a railway system that blasts a minecart to the end of it, swings it around and brings my entire train back to my castle door. My castle is also a pile of shit.

Jul 9, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
CounterAttack said:
One thing I despise about 1.5 is the fact that you cannot create ladders with gaps in them. For example, the common system I used before 1.5 was a ladder piece, then an empty space, then another ladder, rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

Notch "fixed" this with the 1.5 update, so I had to fill out all my ladders and screw up the awesomeness factor in the design of my house. On the upside, the crafting recipe now produces two ladder pieces for seven sticks.
Even worse, water ladders don't work anymore. So, I was about trapped at one place. You have to hold jump to go up, and it is at the same speed as a ladder...

Pretty much all the achievements are stupid start stuff anyway: Get a piece of wood, make a bench, make a furnace, build tools, etc. Only ones that take more than 2 second basic stuff would be traveling 1km from where you start in a mine cart (I'm not going to waste my time making that much track away from my base), making a cake, and riding a pig off a cliff.
Yeah, as people have said, the achievements are really just there to be a tutorial for new players, not the typical epeen enlarger.

As someone who tends to specialize in Minecarts and redstone, this update really excites me. I'll have to check it out...when I'm done with Portal 2.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
It is actually an alternative, as the "booster" track hasn't been nerfed. Notch hasn't confirmed on if he will remove it in time but he was specific that the way booster tracks work will remain in place through this patch.
except there's a new bug that will crash your game if you hit a north/west elbow coming from the south. In my case that means a good portion of my rail network is unusable...so on top of fixing all my ladder shafts i have to fix all my rails too.

then again i really like the powered rail's design(booster or break) and it solves an issue i was having with a sky bridge not having room for a regular booster assembly.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
GrandmaFunk said:
samsonguy920 said:
except there's a new bug that will crash your game if you hit a north/west elbow coming from the south. In my case that means a good portion of my rail network is unusable...so on top of fixing all my ladder shafts i have to fix all my rails too.

then again i really like the powered rail's design(booster or break) and it solves an issue i was having with a sky bridge not having room for a regular booster assembly.
Notch tweets that due to the current epidemic of Portaltwollitis that has been going around, he may be behind a bit on checking on bug reports. Just finished a fairly long session on a new world tonight with no hiccups. No rain, either, sigh.

One of the other bits with this update is gaps in ladders are no longer ignorable so you need to build a full ladder for it to work. The tradeoff is when crafting them, you get two ladders instead of just one at a time. Hope nobody was down below with gapped ladders when the update hit!
Edit: Guess some were caught with their pants down, but it wasn't a closely held secret about the change for ladders. Remember that this is beta and still under constant change. Read up on Notch's Blog, the Wiki, and other sites listed in the Community in Minecraft.com often so you can stay ahead of the game!
0p3rati0n said:
And so the piston mod is still a mod and isn't officially incorporated into the game yet. :(
Nope, sadly the piston was postponed. I'm betting it is in the next update, though.
Fanghawk said:
I like the addition of weather, but out curiosity, is there anything planned about having the snow melt? When I started my current world, the spawn point was surrounded by snow and ice. It's been frustrating enough to clear a path through the water for my boat, and I'd hate to have to do that everytime a snowstorm comes by.

Probably a fair compromise would be allowing snow and ice to melt at certain elevations. After a couple of days snow at water level will start to disappear, while the higher up you go the longer it takes. Eventually, snow becomes a permanent fixture unless you physically clear it off, or construct some kind of furnace network to keep your Skull Fortress snow-free.
Want large amounts of snow to go away? Pour water on it. Just take a bucket, make a spring, scoop up the spring, and wherever the water flows, it will remove snow.
If you want to keep ice from forming near the shore for boat-usage, build a dock with lots of torches. Those will keep the water from freezing.