Notch Releases Minecraft 1.5 with Weather, Rails

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Legion said:
While I like these changes, it is kind of annoying how small the gap in between 1.4 and 1.5 was, as the server I use online took about a week to update to 1.4, and now I have to wait again before updating.

Nice changes though.
Fantastic. I feel sorry for Notch, you know, because no matter what he does he simply cannot win. If he takes his time in between patches, people ***** and moan on the forums about how in the old days Minecraft got updated every week and now he's sold out and is too lazy to finish his own game. If he gets the update out fairly quickly, people complain about servers having to be updated or mods no longer working.

I'm just excited to check all this new stuff out.
Bitching and moaning? Kindly point out where I ranted at Notch for updating the game, in fact, the odds of Notch even seeing this are about a million to one.

It is also impossible for any developer to win, and that doesn't make it the consumers fault, it is just the way things are, as you cannot please everyone.

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
dammit! wasting so much time building boosters for my minecart central executive...

bah!

Mukiwa

Sep 4, 2008
It's a small thing but I just noticed that you can get more than one kind of sapling now, which is kinda nice.

Just planted my own little pine forest :D

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
Legion said:
While I like these changes, it is kind of annoying how small the gap in between 1.4 and 1.5 was, as the server I use online took about a week to update to 1.4, and now I have to wait again before updating.

Nice changes though.
A week? That must be one pretty lazy server. All I had to do to update my server was go into my server folder and replace the old Minecraft_Server.exe with the new one. Same thing with this new update.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
The rain is really calming, especially if you set the draw distance to tiny so there's lots of fog.

What's cool is that how loud the rain is depends on how close you are. So in my house on the surface it's quite loud, yet in my underground bedroom it's a soothing white noise.

Dark Sup3rn0va

Jul 14, 2009
New update out again ha. 1.5_01 just came out fixing alot of bugs. I really love how it took less than 24hrs to fix alot of bugs and big companies with massive devlopment teams take months to fix simple bugs.

saregos

the undying
Jul 7, 2009
Please, please, PLEASE tell me they're not going to cripple traditional boosters!

Sorry, the powered tracks are great and all, but traditional boosters are awfully nice. It'd be cool if they left both in - the "beginner" mode of Powered Rails and the "expert" mode of boosters. Mix/Match as needed.

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
saregos said:
Please, please, PLEASE tell me they're not going to cripple traditional boosters!

Sorry, the powered tracks are great and all, but traditional boosters are awfully nice. It'd be cool if they left both in - the "beginner" mode of Powered Rails and the "expert" mode of boosters. Mix/Match as needed.
<a href=http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Powered_Rail> Good news, boosters are still in. Bad News, powered rails are planed to replace boosters in future...

I suggest everyone who likes boosters keeps a backup of version 1.5

Also, I edited my save file to trigger rain. It's some of the best rain ever! I like how it's actually heavy rain.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Aethren said:
Protip: Torches melt snow.

1. Dig a 1-block hole.
2. Stick a torch in the hole.
3. ???
4. Creepers!
samsonguy920 said:
Want large amounts of snow to go away? Pour water on it. Just take a bucket, make a spring, scoop up the spring, and wherever the water flows, it will remove snow.
If you want to keep ice from forming near the shore for boat-usage, build a dock with lots of torches. Those will keep the water from freezing.
Thanks! That'll be handy, although I still kinda hope the melting snow idea comes up in some way, since it'll make things more dynamic.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
can people stop being happy about the weather, its not implemented, its re-implemented with a few upgrades...actually a lot of upgrades...and lightning...W00T!!!

seriously the new rails are a nice feature, be careful of all the bugs though, there are some which will crash the game.

Xirema

Nov 12, 2010
Fetzenfisch said:
Legion said:
Fetzenfisch said:
achievements? really? something totally useless like that gets implemented before the game is done? well it might not have taken long to add that bonusfeature. But i'd rather have well working beds.
I don't get why everything needs achievements, isn't Minecraft supposed to be about using your imagination, not ticking off a checklist?
exactly. thanks for your support there. achievements are nothing but extra gameplay time for 100%ers without adding any content. Fodder for the dumb.
He's using the achievements as a form of tutorial.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
I've been putting off my minecraft roller coaster for some time now due to the whole "booster tracks" but now that we have powered rails, I can finally begin working on it. I do like these new changes. Especially the cooked pork one. Makes things a lot easier.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Xirema said:
Fetzenfisch said:
Legion said:
Fetzenfisch said:
achievements? really? something totally useless like that gets implemented before the game is done? well it might not have taken long to add that bonusfeature. But i'd rather have well working beds.
I don't get why everything needs achievements, isn't Minecraft supposed to be about using your imagination, not ticking off a checklist?
exactly. thanks for your support there. achievements are nothing but extra gameplay time for 100%ers without adding any content. Fodder for the dumb.
He's using the achievements as a form of tutorial.
yeah i know. You are about the 12th person that quoted me here to tell me that. Why doesnt anyone read the goddamn threads anymore they are posting in? Should be difficult to take part in a discussion one doesnt know about.