Notch Tweets Rage Over Minecraft Party Sexual Assault

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
3quency said:
Trilligan said:
So many new and exciting ways to downplay sexual assault, blame the victim, and show solidarity for a creeper.

Way to go, guys. Fantastic job you're doing, showing how gamer culture totally doesn't have problems with sexism.
Eh? I haven't read all the comments here, but I thought we'd all just sort of agreed that the one person that was definitely an asshole in this situation was Mr. Creeper.

I could well be wrong I guess.
You are. Quite wrong. Loads of people try to move the topic here. She's making it up, she should be amused, etc etc etc.

But hey, it's to be expected on the Escapist involving a thread concerning women and the hobby.
This is almost as much fun as reading about how some people tried to defend James Desborough.

Therumancer said:
Staying classy as always Theru.

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
Her use of the words "creeper" and "nope'd" don't help me in taking this seriously. On the other hand, I too use silly words or phrases to ease any trauma.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
dunam said:
it took awhile for the shock to wear off and the magnitude of the situation to sink in
I bolted for the door to find a cab, trying to hold tears back.
'magnitude of the situation'? This is something that has no negative physical results, no pregnancy, chance of STD, no physical injury, he doesn't know anything about her, so no chance of stalking....

'trying to hold tears back'? This I can somewhat imagine. It may have no negative physical results, but it has some negative emotional results. But how is this worse than a bit of a fright?
Dude, think about this for a second. If she hadn't soberd up and bolted right then and there... I dread to think what might've happened. That's why she's feeling so traumatised by it, she came pretty close to... that. Even thinking about that is an unpleasent experience, so something happening that might have lead to that must be pretty scarring in and of itself.

dunam said:
I felt ashamed and embarrassed that this happened to me
It's sad that it has this result, because it certainly isn't her fault.
Agreed. It's tragic that this woman's night was so screwed up because of just one asshole, and she got no help for it. Personally, I want to find the security guys she talked to and give them a peice of my mind.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
matthew_lane said:
CardinalPiggles said:
Queen to B6?

Anyway, do you know what he means when he says "shrugged it off"? It means the security guard didn't take her seriously, and seeing as we're told she was drunk, well I put two and two together.
So essentially you are building up a narrative out of nothing.

He didn't do anything because there was nothing he could do. What exactly was this security guard meant to do exactly?
You're right. I made the whole thing up. The security was infallible. There was no sexual assault even. The girl wasn't even drunk. In fact if the security guard hadn't rode in on his white stallion everyone could've been brutally murdered. God bless the glorious security guards and their perfection.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
matthew_lane said:
CardinalPiggles said:
Queen to B6?

Anyway, do you know what he means when he says "shrugged it off"? It means the security guard didn't take her seriously, and seeing as we're told she was drunk, well I put two and two together.
So essentially you are building up a narrative out of nothing.

He didn't do anything because there was nothing he could do. What exactly was this security guard meant to do exactly?
You're right. I made the whole thing up. The security was infallible. There was no sexual assault even. The girl wasn't even drunk. In fact if the security guard hadn't rode in on his white stallion everyone could've been brutally murdered. God bless the glorious security guards and their perfection.
Wow. I've never seen someone not answer a simple question so hard. Fair play.

Mariahsyn

Nov 30, 2010
The problem with the security is that they have absolutely NO authority to do anything in most cases. That means he cannot compel said person to leave, nor detain him lest he be subject to civil or even criminal lawsuits for violating the individual's 4th amendment rights. Now if the person who was running the event (or someone with authority) wanted to do something I am certain that there were PLENTY of police available to deal with it. But to blame a security guard who is making $8 an hour and no benefits of any kind strikes me as pointing a finger at someone who could not have done anything anyhow.

The best that the guard can do is call the police. Period.

It's easy to blame the poor sop who struggles to feed his family on barely above minimum wage on an internet comment board. Hopefully someone will think about that the next time they call for someone to lose possibly the only job they can get in this economy. Think about the consequences for a family who might lose their only income. Just like what happened isn't funny, casting blame about isn't very funny either.

Most security companies charge clients in the $20 an hour range and pay less than $10. (Don't believe statistics I have friends who work in the field and it's not a nice one to be in most of the time. I also worked in the field for a short amount of time after losing a much better paying job.)

At $8 an hour, figure averaging 40 hours a week if one is lucky and you have about 320 before taxes. That's not much especially if you think about the working conditions that can be in some cases rather hazardous. Admittedly there are those who are lucky enough to get into good paying positions but those tend to be few and far between. By and large security can be a thankless line of work where the paycheck is a pittance compared to the actual risk.

Sexual Assault of any sort is horrible and nothing I would wish even upon my worst enemy. But show some compassion for people who may be powerless to really do anything about the situation. Now if it turns out that the guard was an off duty cop (one of my ex's used to moonlight while off duty) then that tends to be a whole other can of worms. (let's just say that there is a reason he is an ex and leave it at that.)

Anyhow, I hope this doesn't feed too many trolls but by and large security guards are powerless 99% of the time to even detain a shop lifter or even say anything. Food for thought.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Entitled said:
chadachada123 said:
Your conclusion doesn't follow your premise. We wouldn't live in a culture where we got equally sexually assaulted, we would live in a culture that didn't distinguish between assault (illegal) and sexual assault (illegal), both of which are, in the proposed model, not worth worrying about but ARE still illegal and worthy of legal punishment (or a punch to the face, to quote myself).

TL;DR: You don't need to feel traumatized to be a victim, and if the acts are still kept illegal, why in the hell wouldn't we want the average victim to not be traumatized if most of their traumatization is because of society's teachings to begin with?
In your own posts, you compare this current case to being forced to grab someone's arm. Should making someone grabbing your arm be illegal, and if yes, should it earn the same level of punishment as sexual assault.

If breaking a leg and getting raped might cause comparable physical pain, then after ignoring the cultural severity of rape, which one's punishment should be matched with the other? Should rape be a misdemeanor like assault and battery, or should every case of causing physical pain to someone give the same several years of prison to you, regardless of whether or not it involved morally based emotional pain?
Making someone grab your arm forcefully already is illegal (assault and other more-obscure charges), and I have yet to see a justification for why it should be treated differently compared to sexual assault, if a theoretical person could be fine with being forced to grab a crotch but suffer trauma from being forced to grab an arm (because of religion, or whatever).

If there's a justification, then I'll concede.

Firstly, most of my postings have been about 'sexual assault,' with rape excluded, as I have yet to reach a conclusion on my feelings on rape and its punishments.

Nowhere in my post did I say that causing true emotional trauma should not be a crime. I only said that if we can reduce emotional trauma FROM these crimes (if it turns out that much of the trauma is a reaction to society's treatment of the crime and not to the crime itself), it would be beneficial to do so.

Regarding pain: If I break your leg on purpose, with intent to cause extreme pain without 'serious' injury, I feel that a misdemeanor is too light of a punishment. I feel as though that should be a felony, as it goes beyond simple assault. If there is some way to compare physical pain to emotional pain, I feel as though an equivalent amount of emotional pain to somebody should also be a felony if it is done deliberately, as that goes beyond simple harassment.

Forced rape that causes injury (and with X emotional trauma) should be punished more harshly than forced rape that doesn't cause injury (still with X emotional trauma), but that isn't to say that forced rape without injury should not be a felony, if it causes emotional trauma. If it doesn't cause emotional trauma, or causes considerably less trauma, then why should it be punished as harshly as the other cases?

I feel as though my words are a bit confusing, so feel free to ask some more about just what I mean. I want to make sure that my beliefs are internally consistent, after all, and with justification for everything.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Blablahb said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
Agreed. It's tragic that this woman's night was so screwed up because of just one asshole, and she got no help for it. Personally, I want to find the security guys she talked to and give them a peice of my mind.
Did you read the story at all? She was drunk off her feet, talked along while the warning lights were already flashing and did nothing about it at all, and afterwards, instead of punching that fool in the face, she just let it happen, said nothing, and walked away, and only asked security a lot of time later.

There's nothing at all security can do about it, if people it happens to behave so utterly sheepishly.

At most you can find the guy due to some description, after which you're forced to conclude there's nothing you can do because you have two persons, one of them totally drunk, telling a different story, and no witnesses or fuss to indicate who of them is right.
Ok, you do kinda have me there, I admit I skimmed over it a bit. But the point I was trying to make there was that the guy should've at least given it a quick look instead of just saying "What do you expect me to do?". I know no-ones perfect, and there may have been other things that required his attention, but come on.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Lyri said:
chadachada123 said:
I think you don't understand one simple concept: I'm not you.

For sexual assault, I would not give a shit in the vast majority of situations, and I know that for a fact.

For rape, I said that I HONESTLY DON'T SEE MYSELF being traumatized in most non-painful situations. Maybe I'd be wrong. There's only one way to know for sure. What I do know is that some victims of rape walk away emotionally pretty much fine, while others like you think that it is unable to comprehend, with everything in between.

Maybe YOU personally suffer extreme emotional pain, but to say I would suffer the same is insulting, and to say that the pain is incomprehensible is unfounded (and insulting to other victims that weren't harmed emotionally to your extent). I've been through a lot of nasty shit, and I see little that could compare emotionally for myself. As in, for me. Not you. Not him. Not them. Me.
That's great but you could show a little compassion here and stop with the "unfeeling and insensitive" thing you have going on.

Maybe YOU personally suffer extreme emotional pain, but to say I would suffer the same is insulting
You must be a delicate flower.
I am compassionate, but I saw little reason to be gentle towards the guy that thinks he knows more about me than I do just because he suffers in a particular way.

I stand by my statement that his words are a direct insult to other victims, and am pointing it out so that hopefully he'll stop making generalizations like that in the future.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Wow, it's already hard enough to prove gamers aren't socially dysfunctional misogynists without freaks like this showing up. (the guy that is, not the girl of course)

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
chadachada123 said:
I am compassionate, but I saw little reason to be gentle towards the guy that thinks he knows more about me than I do just because he suffers in a particular way.

I stand by my statement that his words are a direct insult to other victims, and am pointing it out so that hopefully he'll stop making generalizations like that in the future.
You should probably try reading a little harder, Boudi is a chick as far as we're all aware and basically admitted to suffering some kind of sexual assault in this thread.
Re-evaluate your stance, you're coming of as a bit of a twat.

Also no, it isn't an insult to other victims to assume that they would need some kind of help during an ordeal like that.
Do you get offended when someone offers you an umbrella when it rains?
You're not being insulted at all, come down off your high horse.

Glass Joe the Champ said:
Wow, it's already hard enough to prove gamers aren't socially dysfunctional misogynists without freaks like this showing up. (the guy that is, not the girl of course)
It doesn't really help us out but being realistic this whole scenario could happen just about anywhere.
It sounds more like unfortunate circumstance and some severe loneliness that caused this incident, fuelled by alcohol and low self esteem.

Bloodtrozorx

Jan 23, 2012
Andy Chalk said:
"Then he grabbed my free wrist and put it on his crotch and asked 'Is this big enough?'"
Ok, first. That line, funny. Very funny is a rather pathetic and sad manner. On the whole this incident is incredible. This guy clearly needs to be registered as a sex offender regardless of the effects alcohol had on his judgment. His actions are unforgivable and he needs to face justice.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Is it wrong that I'm sceptical this actually happened? Maybe I'm just insensitive, but it just seems to lack any kind of evidence. It all seems like it could have been fabricated easily.

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
Well, it's disgusting that it happened, and it's good that Notch is looking into it. I wish them the best of luck on finding the asshole.

Hopefully that guard is fired/reprimanded. "What do you expect me to do" is not an appropriate response when it's your job to ensure the safety of the people there. If somebody has just told you that they were sexually harassed/assaulted, you should get off your ass and work with them to find the person.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
What a fucking creep.

More on topic though, THE GUY IS SO CREEPY IT'S FUNNY, we're not laughing at the sexual assault jeeebuzz