Notch Tweets Rage Over Minecraft Party Sexual Assault

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Disgusting act, but as far as that kinda shit goes it doesn't irk a rage in me.

Stryc9 said:
"People tell me I should've called the cops or screamed or made a huge scene, but I didn't want that type of attention and the reaction of the security guard made me feel like cops would be even more of a waste," she wrote.
Especially Seattle police, they probably would've identified her as a threat and shot her after severely beating the crap out of her.

Seriously though, it sounds like maybe they should hire better security for next time, "What do you expect me to do?" is not a valid response to "Some guy just made me touch his dick!"
Well I don't know the laws in Seattle but as a licenses New York security guard, there's not much he could of done. Maybe he could of gotten the guy kicked out of the even if the victim actually could point him out, but aside from that there's not much else.

A security guard can not legally make a citizens arrest unless he in fact sees the crime happen, nor could he or should he facilitate in helping the girl arrest this guy because if she's wrong he can be sued for slander and false arrest. Nature of the reality. If she wanted him arrested she should of called the police and made a police report.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
BehattedWanderer said:
FelixG said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Get them. Get both culpable parties. Get the jerk who did it, and get the guard who dismissed it as nothing. This needs to be taken more seriously. Get them. Mike, Jerry, Notch, do whatever you guys need to do--find them.
it has been said before, but I guess ya missed all the times it was said, so I will say it again.

What exactly was the guard to do? There were no witnesses, she had been drinking, and her best description was 'a small asian guy.'

Legally all you can do as security is shrug. At the worst the security officer is guilty of being insensitive. If he had witnessed the act, then it would be a different story, but as it stood it was hearsay and not actionable.

Edit: Changed the tense, damn not sleeping enough
He could have done a lot. He could have reported it, followed through, gone to the area where it happened to see if the guy was around. He could have taken it to any one of the event organizers, sought more information about the person (for instance, hair length, color, clothes being worn, notable facial features), or just pass along the information to someone more helpful, instead of shrugging it off as just a thing. So sexual harassment is fine, when there are no witnesses and someone has been drinking? No. No it most definitely is not, in case there was any doubt in your mind. These kinds of events absolutely need to be reported, and the people responsible need to be held accountable. Even if the guard had no legal option, he could have called for someone that has the legal power to help. Passing it off as "not my problem" or "what can you do" is part of the problem. Tolerance for this kind of thing is why it continues to happen, and in defending it, you defend all forms of sexual assault.
Yeah just posted about this. The most he could of legally done write it in a report and attempt to get the guy kicked out of PAX had she been able to point him out.

She would have to be the one calling the police I believe, he can not call for them to make an arrest because he didn't see the crime happen. Security Guards are just glorified civilians, he can't just call the police and have them arrest someone because the girl tells him too or he's putting himself in severe legal liability.

The girl could of though.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
Not to be one of "those guys", but this sounds like a much bigger deal than it needs to be. Holding back tears? Yeah ok. All she needed to do was call the guy a weirdo and walk away. If she felt like it, alert a guard to it as it happened. There was never a moment when she couldn't have just walked away. There was no physical presence stopping her.

I don't know what the ladies expected the guard to do. They reported the incident to him hours after it happened. All she can do is give him a description, and maybe they can find someone.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
anthony87 said:
Well I'm flattered and all that but if you go back a page or two you'll see my post about the time some gay dude shoved his tongue in my ear, it very clearly outlines that I'm not into that kinda stuff.
Oh, shock and surprise. It's only wrong when it happens to you.

wulf3n said:
How against sexual harassment can you be when you threaten people with rape?
Very much, as it turns out. He's already giving a sex predator the benefit of a doubt, so why not someone who rapes him?

Boogie Knights said:
I think we found the guy that was at the party.
One look at my profile shows that I am neither Asian nor at this year's PAX.

The Plunk said:
Wow, I'm really quite impressed. Hypocritical moralfags usually have much worse spelling than this.
That part about being embarassed sharing a community with total fuckwads? Goes double for you.
Demonstrating how the worst part of his own idea can effect him is not hypocrisy. Unless you're saying executioners should feel guilty giving lethal injections to killers, in which case... Lol, moralfag.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
Elate said:
Right, so here I'm seeing "Drunk creepy guy pulls stupid move" girl blows things out of proportion (pun intended.)

Drunk people, do stupid things, if she really had an issue with the guy she should have got up and walked away, like most sensible adults, even drunk ones can manage that. Ok, he shouldn't have had his dick out in the first place and should probably get done for public indecency, but I consider things like rape sexual assault. Nothing here says he went after her etc, just did something very very stupid and probably felt like a complete ass hat (If he was even sober enough to remember.)

Maybe I'm just not so prudish or something but touching a dudes penis is not really a biggy, he probably thought he was being super smooth or something. While I'm not saying this guy was in the right, he really wasn't, she had ample opportunity to get up and walk away too. Of course now that I've said this I will no doubt be labeled some woman beating, misogynistic, rapist molester from hell or something, cause everything's gotta be black and white yo.
How often do you feel unsafe, or degraded, or sexualized?

Do you feel that way anywhere from once a year to once a month to once a day?

If yes--and only if yes--has this thing happened to you? Even anything like it?

Do you, in fact, have any idea what it feels like to be a woman trying to enjoy herself at a party full of gamers, where she's supposed to feel safe and among friends, and to have her hand grabbed and placed against someone else's naked penis for that person's gratification?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, maybe you should listen to how that feels instead of fucking telling her how to feel.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
hooksashands said:
Very much, as it turns out.
Whatever you have to tell yourself.

hooksashands said:
He's already giving a sex predator the benefit of a doubt,
You mean he's not lynching the man based solely on hearsay? the MONSTER!

hooksashands said:
so why not someone who rapes him?
It's the fact that you said you'd enjoy it that's distrubing

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
anthony87 said:
OniaPL said:
"It's so fucking sad when Notch/Gabe/Tycho have to take responsibility for this, simply because you're all too busy playing devil's advocate to admit MAYBE there ought to be consequences for certain illegal and morally reprehensible acts, like pulling your dick out in public and literally forcing someone to touch it."

Nobody has denied that there SHOULD be consequences, but the reality of the situation is that there most likely won't be because the situation is what it is. Sexual harassment cases and similar things are always difficult to deal with, and this one crosses the threshold in both difficulty to investigate and prosecut and harmlessness to society that it most likely won't be seen in court.

This is the reality of the situation; if you can't see it, either you know nothing of the subject or close your eyes and go "lalalalalala".

-"The security guard wasn't there when it happened."

Then do tell, with your superior knowledge about the authority and job description of the average security guard, what action could he have taken? Other than calling the police, which she could have done by herself, there was nothing that he could do, expect turn vigilante, become batman and catching him.

-"It was a large crowd."

But this is a valid reason. The police can conduct a search for this man, and maybe find him and bring him to justice, but the security guard can't. Again, take it to the police.

"I'm on forum probation, but I feel like it's worth being suspended when I say from the bottom of my heart to each of you: Fuck off. Leave this community. I'm embarrassed to be associated with you in even the slightest way. You are sub-human ogres with little or no redeeming qualities and I sincerely hope karma comes in the form of a large cell mate who makes you his ***** during your inevitable prison sentences."

What does this have to do with anything? You launch an attack at me, telling I am scum, without apparently even reading my post or understanding my point. Classy, dear sir.
Awh don't go and LOGIC him! He'll run off talking about how he's on probation as if it's some sort of big deal if you go ahead and do that!
Security guard could have done an incident report, reported it to the police, gotten a description of the assault and male responsible, as well as reporting to other security guards that an incident had happened and getting his superiors involved as well.

FAR better than doing nothing. Response time could mean everything in catching a sexual predator. Most security I know of always have walkies to communicate as well.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
AngelBlackChaos said:
Security guard could have done an incident report, reported it to the police, gotten a description of the assault and male responsible, as well as reporting to other security guards that an incident had happened and getting his superiors involved as well.

FAR better than doing nothing. Response time could mean everything in catching a sexual predator. Most security I know of always have walkies to communicate as well.
Does anyone actually KNOW what the security guard did? all we have is the blog from the victim which stated her friends contacted security. So what we have is a third hand account from people who were distraught and admittedly intoxicated.

perhaps we should get facts before criticising.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
I think half the posters in this thread need to realise that the only person who was at fault in this is the guy who didn't know...YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO WHIP YOUR DICK OUT AND FORCE PEOPLE TO TOUCH IT WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT.

Is this a fucking complicated concept to grasp.

If tiny had kept his junk in the locked and safed position the worst thing to have happened would be someone having to deal with a socially incompetent humanoid (creeper).

There is no devils advocate position on this.

Your dick....keep it in your pants whilst in public <---- is this something people need taught? do we need a "keeping your genitals safely stored" 101 class for 'gamaers' ?

I mean clearly we need some of "try and not forcibly penetrate non-consenting persons*" basic class so maybe I shouldn't be surprised by this.

*with advance lessons in "No that doesn't mean you can do x other act without consent" where the final exam for needing that class is a .357 hollow point to the base of the skull

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
NightowlM said:
DugMachine said:
Boudica said:
runic knight said:
Boudica said:
chadachada123 said:
Boudica said:
chadachada123 said:
Boudica said:
Coming from someone that has fucking been a victim you have no idea what you're talking about. The emotion pain and the upset isn't even something you can comprehend without going through it.

Just stop.
I think you don't understand one simple concept: I'm not you.

For sexual assault, I would not give a shit in the vast majority of situations, and I know that for a fact.

For rape, I said that I HONESTLY DON'T SEE MYSELF being traumatized in most non-painful situations. Maybe I'd be wrong. There's only one way to know for sure. What I do know is that some victims of rape walk away emotionally pretty much fine, while others like you think that it is unable to comprehend, with everything in between.

Maybe YOU personally suffer extreme emotional pain, but to say I would suffer the same is insulting, and to say that the pain is incomprehensible is unfounded (and insulting to other victims that weren't harmed emotionally to your extent). I've been through a lot of nasty shit, and I see little that could compare emotionally for myself. As in, for me. Not you. Not him. Not them. Me.
And, like I said, you have no idea what you're talking about. You're just pulling this out of the air when you admittedly have zero experience with them.
You're ignoring what I said. You are an insult to other victims with your presumption that I would suffer like you would, or that all emotional pain is equal.

I'll repeat this: I don't hold much stock in my sexual organs. I already clarified that I see no real distinction outside of society's forced distinction between being forced to grab a creepy dude's arm and my hand being forced into creepy dude's crotch, so what makes you think that I'd be bothered by being forced to penetrate someone, even if it was unwilling, so long as it was painless?
You may as well be commenting on the flavour of the moon, for all the authority you have on the subject.
Kinda like how you have no authority on saying that he does or does not know what he is talking about and describing himself and not other people?
Not to sound like an ass here, but stop a moment, take a deep breath and reread his last posts. Sounds like you are getting riled up due to how the topic touches close to home, which is understandable and all, but in doing so, you are ignoring their post.
He's presuming to know what something is like when he has no way of even fathoming it. How he thinks he feels has no bearing on reality. You can think and imagine all you want, but if you don't have the experience, your words are hollow and empty.
Your experience is not universal, get over yourself.
Hahaha Telling sexual assault victims to get over themselves. Hillarious. No really fuck you. And really, fuck all you people trying to minimize this and blame the victim. Fuck off with you're fucking bullshit. If we just removed you assholes in these forums we wouldn't have huge flame wars at the mere mention of sexism/misogyny.
Actually I think if we just removed people like you we would have sophisticated discussions about serious topics, with the occasional joke to lighten the mood. Seriously, get off your high horse, he didn't say sexual assault victims should get over themselves, he said Boudica should get over herself and stop acting like her emotional experiences are universal and must be the same for everyone. Also, no one is blaming the victim, some people are saying that she did not handle the situation properly, and that she should have acted sooner, but no one said "It wouldn't have happened if you hadn't let him put your hand there" or anything like that. No one is trying to minimize it, some people say it is bad, but that it has been blown out of proportion, which it has, and a few are saying it would be nice if there were more facts to support the story then the accounts of intoxicated friends. I'll say it again, seriously, get off your high horse. When you have to resort to "Fuck off with your fucking bullshit", you really just need to stop, take a deep breath, and take a therapeutic bath.

Vulpis

Jan 18, 2011
Mmmph. I definitely feel sorry for the girl in this. I do wish she *had* made a scene or at least screamed, though--I have just enough faith in the con-going gamer community to believe that the guy would have wound up being the center of attention of some rather hostile Minecraft fans, and security would have been called to *rescue* him from bodily harm and/or being hung out of a third-story window with more than Mr. Tiny hanging out in the wind.

As for the security guard...Mmph. Definitely a third-hand story problem there--on the one hand, the guard might *have* been Just That Slack, but on the other, the report here could be just paraphrasing by someone stressed and what was *actually* said was more along the lines of "I'm sorry, but unless you can bring us a better description than 'some asian guy', or witnesses who saw and can describe the guy, there's not much we can do." Or possibly, it could be both--the security guy *meaning* the latter but saying the former under the mistaken idea that she'd understand what he meant.

As for the people getting upset at people laughing...

We're not laughing at the girl. With a handful of exceptions, I'd say that everyone here feels feels sympathy for her for having to put up with this (especially the poster who was a chikan victim) crap in the first place.

We're not laughing at the situation--in fact, I'd say most of us are just as upset as Notch, but have even less ability to *do* anything other than offer sympathies as that security guy.

We *are*, however laughing *at* (not about, not with, but *at*) Mr. Teeny McWeenie there, who at the very *least* deserves to be mocked and ridiculed to the point that the psychic backlash causes what little he has to disappear entirely. (He deserves a lot worse than that, of course, but that would require finding and catching the culprit).

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
NightowlM said:
DugMachine said:
Boudica said:
runic knight said:
Boudica said:
chadachada123 said:
Boudica said:
chadachada123 said:
Boudica said:
Coming from someone that has fucking been a victim you have no idea what you're talking about. The emotion pain and the upset isn't even something you can comprehend without going through it.

Just stop.
I think you don't understand one simple concept: I'm not you.

For sexual assault, I would not give a shit in the vast majority of situations, and I know that for a fact.

For rape, I said that I HONESTLY DON'T SEE MYSELF being traumatized in most non-painful situations. Maybe I'd be wrong. There's only one way to know for sure. What I do know is that some victims of rape walk away emotionally pretty much fine, while others like you think that it is unable to comprehend, with everything in between.

Maybe YOU personally suffer extreme emotional pain, but to say I would suffer the same is insulting, and to say that the pain is incomprehensible is unfounded (and insulting to other victims that weren't harmed emotionally to your extent). I've been through a lot of nasty shit, and I see little that could compare emotionally for myself. As in, for me. Not you. Not him. Not them. Me.
And, like I said, you have no idea what you're talking about. You're just pulling this out of the air when you admittedly have zero experience with them.
You're ignoring what I said. You are an insult to other victims with your presumption that I would suffer like you would, or that all emotional pain is equal.

I'll repeat this: I don't hold much stock in my sexual organs. I already clarified that I see no real distinction outside of society's forced distinction between being forced to grab a creepy dude's arm and my hand being forced into creepy dude's crotch, so what makes you think that I'd be bothered by being forced to penetrate someone, even if it was unwilling, so long as it was painless?
You may as well be commenting on the flavour of the moon, for all the authority you have on the subject.
Kinda like how you have no authority on saying that he does or does not know what he is talking about and describing himself and not other people?
Not to sound like an ass here, but stop a moment, take a deep breath and reread his last posts. Sounds like you are getting riled up due to how the topic touches close to home, which is understandable and all, but in doing so, you are ignoring their post.
He's presuming to know what something is like when he has no way of even fathoming it. How he thinks he feels has no bearing on reality. You can think and imagine all you want, but if you don't have the experience, your words are hollow and empty.
Your experience is not universal, get over yourself.
Hahaha Telling sexual assault victims to get over themselves. Hillarious. No really fuck you. And really, fuck all you people trying to minimize this and blame the victim. Fuck off with you're fucking bullshit. If we just removed you assholes in these forums we wouldn't have huge flame wars at the mere mention of sexism/misogyny.
Come off that high horse there. I never blamed the victim, if this story is true then the guy is a fucking creep and I hope he gets caught if he pulls this shit again. I said, one sexual assault victims experience is not universal which is why I told Boudica to get over herself and that notion, not her experience with whatever the fuck happened to her. Way to put words in my mouth lol.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Entitled said:
So, do what? Let's just be more strict with male rapists and more protective of female victims, because they are more likely to be emotionally hurt? Or accept that the same non-consensual acts should be punished based on how much fuss the victim chooses to make afterwards, instead of any objective criteria (e.g: genital-touching is bad)?
Is talking going to do much anything about it? No, it's just gonna incite knee-jerk emotional reactions with little, if any logic involved. Not saying it's right, just saying it's a likely result.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
Disgusting situation all around (this thread included). Also, as someone who works in the security industry, I find the reported actions of the guard on site extra sickening. It's garbage like this that makes the entire industry look bad.
My friend's best friend got beaten up at a party once. Security didn't do anything about it. Turns out he was being beaten up by the bouncer who was JEALOUS THAT HE WAS DATING HIS EX GIRLFRIEND.

You're absolutely right about it making the industry look bad, but honestly, I'm willing to think its more a situation that assholes are assholes and need to be fired and find another job. The industry shouldn't even concern itself with bad apples. Just fire them, revoke their licenses, and make them leave if they pull such bullshit. ...sad thing is, the bouncer is still working today, even after hospitalizing the poor guy that did nothing wrong. Eurgh.

...sorry, tangential as hell, thought I'd share anyway.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
hooksashands said:
Lol..moralfag.
I love how you called someone a "moralfag" while being the person who had the biggest hardon for the security guard to "look inside of his grinch-like heart" and apparently, "do his job".