Now that Fallout 4 is being teased, what would you like to see in the next installment?

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
Just a couple off the top of my head:

- Weather! Honestly, I don't care about the science. I had several ideas how it could spice up the gameplay.
- Access to a basic vehicle (like the bikes you see everywhere) would be a nice aternative to fast travel or walking for aaages. But nothing on the scale of Borderlands or Rage, too much focus on vehicular combat would ruin the isolation.
- Mutated birds would be a nice edition. In fact, more varied 'animals' in general.
- Larger clothing/appearance options. Eg: tattoos, scars, piercings etc and being able to equip individual items such as gloves, boots and so on.
- Lots more music please!
- It would also be cool to have a few more improvised weapons like the Railway gun, Nuka Grenade, bottlecap mine etc.
- Caps. Good lord could you make them valuable for a change? I'm tired of being a billionaire 5 missions in!
- Probably controversial to most I know, but a simple cover system wouldn't go amiss. It would certainly be handy for interiors and you'd still have a largely empty wasteland and melee enemies where/who you couldn't use it in/against.

Perhaps the most important thing I would ask for is better characters. I mean, it wouldn't hurt to have more than 4 voice actors and character models for starters, but it's more a case of personality. I mean, you could have a Raider boss who's more like Vaas, someone to fear and hate, rather than "Grrr! I take Jet!"
People need to DO things. Have them move around a bit and give them some body language as they talk. I don't want a villain to just stand there, their voice hardly changing as I a) Bribe them. b) Charm them. or c) They run randomly around the room firing in my general direction.

Obviously there are factors that will make most of our desires more or less impossible, be it money or just plain old technology, but please don't just slap a new coat of paint on New Vegas!

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Actually, my friends and I were talking about this the other night during a mega RP session.

What we really want is a realistic nuclear apocalypse! Plants wouldn't just disappear! If I remember correctly, there was a town in Russia that was exposed to nuclear bombing during the Cold War. Naturally, the down was decimated and the area is now uninhabitable by people, but within five years the forest had entirely overtaken the town and the surround farmland.

Proper additions I would like are just the usual things. More tactful storylines, more well written characters, moar guns, etc.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
An ending that doesn't make my whole character a waste of fucking time.

I know it has DLC that might or might not bring my character back. Don't care. When you get served a dead dog for lunch you do not stick around for the pudding.

TheRandomNPC

Jun 19, 2011
Please all I ask for are more hair and eye options I keep having to get mods for this because I just don't like the look of my characters and why is it we have like 20 sliders for you nose, but only 10 hair styles. Also, I would like it if I shoot someone in the head their head doesn't come clean off like someone sliced it off cause I mean unless I have a chainsaw gun and am the best rifleman in the world that won't happen.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
A plot that actually revolves around the vaults. There are hundreds of them, there's gotta be one that holds a magical macGuffin that'll tip the balance to someone's favour.

Also more destroyed locations, New Vegas didn't have much, only in the surrounding outer vegas. Everywhere else was slightly damaged but not Fallout 3 destroyed.

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
I'd like a Fallout game set in the Hawaiian Islands, maybe not hit directly by the bombs, but still affected by the resulting fallout (/pun). Access between the islands would be limited to a handful of NPC's, though if the player shows some initiative then they can cobble together (Or buy, if you have the caps) a boat and use that to travel. The islands themselves could also play host to different factions, such as newcomers such as island natives that worship Elvis and The Commonwealth, as well as some old hats like maybe remnants of The Enclave and/or the Brotherhood of Steel.

Also, at least one of the Vaults on the islands would have to be a Volcano Lair.

Svarr

Nov 2, 2011
Ahem.. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121557-Bethesda-Trademarks-Fallout-Television-Show-UPDATED

It was on the bloody front page for a week. D:

Sure, I can see the Fallout 4 thing too with all that Boston business, so maybe it'll be a double release? Like how halo 4 had that mini series of "Prelude on to Dawn" being shown with the release of Halo 4.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
The_Lost_King said:
I want Obsidian to make it. FO:NV was 10 million times better than FO3.
Gameplay wise? Billion miles ahead. You had some serious crafting, bullet making. Enemies like the Super Mutant were stronger. There was DT, Hardcore mode, a load of new weapons and a better skill system (No more Big Guns). They handled skills and stats to dialogue better instead of the stupid percentage.

Story? Eeeeeehh... "Benny shoot you! Follow from town to town! You kill Benny! Take over the world!". It wasn't as open-ended as 3 was. In 3, as long as you knew where to go, you could skip a few tasks in the Main Quest. In New Vegas, they placed Deathclaws and killer wasps that protected 2/3rds of the map. They railroad you. Great.

3 had you fight Behemoths in DC, go into a creepy-ass simulation to find Dad, had you fight the Enclave with a 40 foot anti-communist robot called Liberty Prime. You then had the choice to cure the irradiated water, or spread a sickness that only affected the "impure" (Those who were born in the wastes)

The coolest thing in the New Vegas main-quest was... fight Lanius? Saving/Assassinating the NCR Pres was pretty cool. Except you don't actually do much yourself. You just go around talking to NCR soldiers to find the assassin. Big whoop.

Kiardras

Feb 16, 2011
I want to see a slightly less destroyed environment. I love the post-apoc setting, but IMO Falluot 3 was still too destroyed, even after 300 years.

NV was better, in that it had independant towns and villiages, and farms and stuff. I want to see people not just scraping by, but actively keeping their little villiage running.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
What would I want in Fallout 4? Ok... let's see here...

- Visible damage when pieces of equipment wear out, and visible damage on your character when you take damage. I find it rather odd that Power Armor for instance looks EXACTLY the same at 100% condition as it does at 0%, and that when your character's HP drops to zero it looks like your character just keels over and dies for no reason. If they could go full reactive damage like the Batman Arkham games it would incredible, but not necessary.

- The ability to do any and all quests in 1 playthrough, and at least 1 way to do those quests without pissing off a particular faction too.

- Have NCR, the Brotherhood of Steel (both the east and west coast versions, maybe they can even fight each other) Enclave, Super Mutants, whatever's left of the Legion, and so on. All factions that could reasonably fit in whatever location this ends up being in. As long as each faction has enough attention put into their design and characterization, more factions is never a bad thing. Also, have each faction's goals and methods be more realistic. No more outright good OR evil factions, take advantage of the shades of gray? I hate how every faction thus far are just a bunch of walking cliches with everybody being either completely psychotic cartoonishly evil, or too righteous about the way they do things to even ever be convinced that the way they're doing things isn't necessarily the right thing to do. Let's have some factions actually act intelligently please.

- Show some signs of rebuilding please. It's been 200 YEARS, there should at least be some things giving an indication that actual progress is being made to restore the U.S. to a functioning state.

- Whether the game takes place solely in the U.S. or not, sprinkle in some background as to what state exactly the rest of the world happens to be in and what they have been doing the past 200 years. I want to know if the rest of the world in Fallout just as screwed up as the U.S. is, or if it's better off (in which case there will have to be a reason why they haven't shown up to take over the U.S. or something yet.)

- Have everything take place in New York. We have yet to have a Fallout game take place in a major city, with skyscrapers and such, and I'd like to see how those places fared.

- Go back to the growing up from a baby start like Fallout 3 did, but have it take place not in a Vault, but out in the open. This would help give an idea as to just what growing up in a post apocalyptic wasteland is like, and it would allow for much more deeper karmic choices for that section of the game.

- Improve the graphics. Skyrim makes 3 and New Vegas look kind of dated.

- Improve the radio. First, make sure that the music and the host's responses don't repeat until everything currently available has been done once, and keep it that way. That way the hosts won't repeat the same 1 line and play the same piece of music 5 or 6 times before saying something different. Second, have 2 stations and hosts, 1 which praises your good actions and violently curses your evil actions, and 1 which praises your evil actions and condemns your good ones. If possible, have a station and host representing each faction.

- Some variety to the ambient music. There seems to be only 1 kind of music for any given area, and the combat music is always the same. There should be at least 3 music tracks for any given area and especially combat. The ambient music is incredibly repetitive I always end up turning it off entirely because silence is better than having to hear that music track 1 more time.

- More variety to interiours and more vibrant coloring. Like Oblivion, the inside of areas always end up looking the same as the last one, and they all look so... dull and grey.

-NO IVISIBLE WALLS!!! The only walls that should be there are the ones that my character doesn't look like it can actually get through, if it looks like I can get somewhere on foot, I should be able to.

LordMithril

Jul 10, 2010
-One feature I would like is a dynamic worldmap in the way of Planet Side 2 / just cause 2.
If you choose to help the NCR they would slowly take over the map. With the other side of course fighting back and sometimes winning back some land.
And not like in NV where you find a slaughtered NCR encampment at the beginning of the game and at the end its still empty.

-Larger world with more collectibles and a place to put them. (playing just cause 2 right now.. seems big enough ;) )

-a beginning more in the style of FO3. Where you start just living and something happens.
Not "this just happend/we need this mcguffin in order to survive" explained in a cut scene and then start.
that way you play more like "you".

-A ability to choose/buy/claim a real house. Preferably somewhere at the start of the game so I can at least get on with my fetish of collecting every single type of weapon and armor in the game.
Perhaps a moving service to if i decide to get a new home.

-vehicles (if you take a map the size of JC2 you have to). What is cooler then blasting through the wasteland, listening to 3dog while sitting in your "mad max" style Mack semi!

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
Brahmin Armour is a must have.

Honestly, The only thing I want in fallout 4 is it to be playable after the main quest.
It made Vegas pointless for me. I've spent hours with my character, why cant I play some more?
In that respect, Broken steel was fallout 3's saving grace for me.

Francis York Morgan

Oct 24, 2011
I found F:NV to be less immersive than F3 I spent 500 hours playing F3 and about 50 for F:NV and thats with all the DLC and on hardcore mode...
Many may say that F:NV blew F3 out of the water and that it should be handed over to obsidian but I don't think so.
Sure get Chris Avellone to write it even though I didn't see no difference probably because i'm a retard as someone will point out, True obsidian went back to some Fallout lore(The NCR and Caesers Legion) that people wouldn't know unless they played Fallout 2 and i've heard people say that Bethesda did a shit job of Fallout 3 but to me they actually did a better job than obsiian did.
Don't get me wrong I liked obsidians story but there were things I didn't like about it like before it came out they said oh new vegas never got hit by the bombs then you jump in and find mutated geckos and giant fly bastards that can fuck your shit up in about 3 seconds, Then again Bethesda pulled that shit too with Point Lookout.
And to me New Vegas wasn't as memorable as F3 and the other games the other games made me feel like i'm in a nuclear apocalypse they had the atmosphere, enviroments and characters but F:NV to me atleast, didn't feel like a nuclear apocalypse but I loved Lonesome Road that was probably one of my favorite things about F:NV now that felt like being in an apocalypse.
I shall stop ranting now and say what I want from Fallout 4.
I WANT EVERYTHING...... Jokes
I wouldn't mind multiple locations to explore possibly traveling between them by airship?
Have several factions like the Brotherhood of Steel possibly at war with each other.
If supermutants make a reapperance make them stronger and more frighting
Thats why i love Fallout there's alot of unexplored territory in that world where anything can happen.
Possibly sparkle dragons......

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Another addition that I'd like to see:

Decent character customisation (visually). Fallout 3 and New Vegas were appalling, the lack of variety and options was ridiculous. Thankfully in Skyrim Bethesda have shown that they are at least capable of giving us some options. Considering that there aren't multiple races to choose from, hopefully Fallout 4 will have a large amount of choices.

I don't recall it being an issue in Fallout 3 (I may be wrong), but New Vegas had far too many invisible walls. These all need to go. If it looks like I can go somewhere, I should be able to go there.

Better death animations. Okay, having gory deaths is not necessarily a bad idea, but in Fallout 2 they actually worked to a certain extent. You'd see somebody get hit by a shotgun, and their body would lose a chunk of it when they died. In Fallout 3 and New Vegas hitting a person with a pistol somehow decapitates them. It doesn't take their head out, it somehow cuts it neatly at the neck and it goes flying. Let's have some more realistic ones please.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
A decent engine, I really feel that the gamebryo engine and it's very recent successor the creation engine just don't seem to be up to much in terms of textures and animation. Also, England! Even if it's DLC.

Blunderman

Jun 24, 2009
I can only hope that this time it'll actually be Fallout and not The Elder Scrolls IV½: Oblivion with Guns.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
HeWhoFightsBosses said:
Kinda hoping for a co-op element; not sure how it'd work, maybe like Borderlands, but I feel any game regardless of quality can be improved when playing with a friend.

Also, I hope they make it the same, graphics-wise, as Fallout 3 and New Vegas; those two were VERY well optimized for the PC.

Finally, I hope they keep the Companion system, I liked Lily and Boone. Perhaps even a romance subplot? Knowing the great writing these games have, having someone there you/your character cares for would make for a more immersive experience.
Careful mentioning multiplayer around TES/Fallout fans, you might spark a shit-storm. (I agree with you, by the way)

Improvements to the combat system (I hate VATS with a passion, I want weapons to handle well enough that I won't have to use it) and perhaps a little bit more colour in the world, I know it's post-apocalyptic but it's just a little bit too brown for me.