NPC's unaware of what you are doing

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Bambi On Toast said:
I kind of like the fact that non-essential NPCs can be permanently killed.
In Morrowind plot essential characters could be killed. The game would tell you it was impossible to continue and suggested reloading but you could keep going if you wanted.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Blore said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Blore said:
My problem in Fable III is that EVERY npc knows what i'm doing. It scares me.
I know what you mean. As soon as you open the front door of a house, it's like every NPC in the town is compelled to suddenly walk into the building :|
I remember the NPCs were bashing me for stealing Elliot from his Fiance. I don't even know how they knew.
Haha, it's a creepy omniscient hivemind. Hell I couldn't even sleep with my wife in Fable without the town coming to spectate.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I figure NPCs should notice when someone's walking around naked. Oh hi, I'm just gonna walk into your shop, naked, and buy a gun off you.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
It's always fun in Fallout: New Vegas when you're sitting on the outskirts of Cottonwood Cove picking off the Legion with a silenced sniper rifle and nobody notices why the guy they were just talking to suddenly exploded into gibs.

Souldead341

Nov 25, 2008
Oblivion, I'm the champion and hero of the entire land, but the Arena Guy still treats me like crap when I join up.

Triangulon

Nov 20, 2009
Odinsson said:
I like the fact that in Oblivion you can be head of all four guilds at the same time and no-one notices
Including the NPCs in the guild unfortunately. I remember feeling really let down when (as head of the mages guild) I had to steal a staff or somesuch from a member of the mages guild. When I went to order him to hand it over (as his guildmaster) he attacked me. I know they have a lot of strands to pull together when making such a deep game but it felt really lazy at the time.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
jamesbrown said:
I recently got Elder Scrolls iv: Oblivion; a great RPG fantasy; for those that played it bare with me. So, there is this evil murdering cult-thing called the dark brotherhood; now since I joined it they want me to kill for money. I don't want to, so I killed all the members except the vampire dude, and still won't kick me out.
Seriously, when have you done somthing in a game that would cause quite a stir in real life, and it didn't
you're meant to kill them for a quest. that could just be it bugging out...

OT:
Souldead341 said:
Oblivion, I'm the champion and hero of the entire land, but the Arena Guy still treats me like crap when I join up.
same here.
plus, i hate this, yet a guard a whole fucking country away knows i moved someone's vase. i didnt take it, i moved it.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Aircross said:
Fallout: New Vegas, Van Graffs store.

Used a stealth boy to steal everything off the shelves and showcase counter. The owner was standing behind the counter and didn't react when three dozen guns vanished under her nose.
You nearly ninja'd me, but I one-upped you.
I walked in with 100 sneak, found different points where nobody can see me an took everything I could from the shelves(read: everything).
"Derp, I should stand here and guard this rare Plasma Caster"
"Oh look, a birdie!" *looks away while I steal everything*
"Wait, wasn't there a Plasma Caster here that I was supposed to defend, and who's this guy and what is he doing crouching near our supplies? Meh, whatever, I guess I was wrong about there being a Plasma Caster here."

Similarly, when I wanted to steal a Gauss Rifle from the BoS I couldn't kill someone and take it as they would instantly aggro regardless of stealth. So I used a sniper rifle to shoot it out of one of the guards' hands. The GR breaks instantly and is sent flying. The guard aggros for a second, goes to grab his rifle, but then sees that it is broken and returns to his position, no longer angry, leaving the broken GR on the floor.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Every game ever: Jump all over the place, run around in circles when people are giving me instructions, and abuse animations in general.

The Elder Scrolls games are notorious for this kind of thing because they aren't programmed with any player behaviors in mind (More interested in what they are able to do, instead of being interested in what they are doing), but other games are just as bad. Stairs? Just jump down a story or two. I'll be fine.

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
I killed that scientist and android from the commonwealth in front of a group of scientists, and the only reaction I got was "Glad that wasn't me". Also, they don't seem to clean up the messes I make.

basm321

Sep 14, 2011
Cleril said:
Deus Ex Human Revolution, hacking various doors into people's offices in Sarif Industries and none of my co-workers care. I know I'm the security manager but I doubt "free to hack your shit" was in my job description.
I'm on my second play through. Just for sh*ts and giggles I have decided to kill or knock out EVERY person I can, that includes quest NPCs like mrs Reed. No one seems to really have a problem with dead bodies laying around or hanging off anything I can throw them on. It is quite fun (and challenging) as I have restricted myself to using nothing but takedowns and the tranq/crossbow for snipers that are out of reach.

I would urge you to try it.

To my disappointment you can not get bodies to hang from trees or the sarif statue.

I do approve of the MASSIVE lethality of throwing bodies as weapons.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Vanguard_Ex said:
Blore said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Blore said:
I know what you mean. As soon as you open the front door of a house, it's like every NPC in the town is compelled to suddenly walk into the building :|
I remember the NPCs were bashing me for stealing Elliot from his Fiance. I don't even know how they knew.
Haha, it's a creepy omniscient hivemind. Hell I couldn't even sleep with my wife in Fable without the town coming to spectate.
And that is why I have no plans to ever become a celebrity.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
sageoftruth said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Blore said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Blore said:
And that is why I have no plans to ever become a celebrity.
True that man, tis a powerful metaphor for the world we live in.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
jamesbrown said:
I recently got Elder Scrolls iv: Oblivion; a great RPG fantasy; for those that played it bare with me.
Wow! An Elder Scrolls naked orgy!

Sorry, I normally don't nitpick spelling, but I couldn't resist calling you out on that one.

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
The Mages Guild master really pissed me off one day, all I did was murder someone and he made me find some stupid flowers, anyway that night I snuck into his bedroom and filled it with Alchemy equipment. I waited all night to watch him wake up, and all he did was get out of bed and walk out of the room, I was so disapointed. This is something that is tricky to programme though, NPC's reactiong to every situation, but unfortunatly, they don't seem to react to anything unless you steal something or hurt someone. But I do find it funny sneaking into someone house, stealing everything in there, then watching them wake up and not notice anything missing.