NSA Building Quantum Supercomputer To Crack Encrypted Data

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Coakle said:
The research program is titled "Penetrating Hard Targets".

Between this and the "Octopus" satellite, it seems like people's browsing history has starting to take its toll on the NSA.
Aww, that should have been my first thought too. Instead, my mind went here:

Still, I love this movie.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Oh, Quantum, holy Quantum... You who watch over our plots and provide us with miracles on a semiregular basis, bless this plan. I know this one is a doozy, but give us this blessing, and we'll celebrate with many tachyons in your name. Amen.

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
The branch of the US government agency in charge of signals intelligence is working on quantum code cracking?

Don't be ridiculous. Next you'll be telling us that NASA is trying to send humans to Mars.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Anonymous and all kinds of rebellious elements have my blessing to take that thing out.

[This post has been flagged by the NSA, CIA, ASIS, M5,MSS]

Jul 31, 2013
So, they get 80 million in taxpayer money to build a "quantum supercomputer" and they call their project "Penetrating Hard Targets"?

Come on, NSA, now you're just fucking with us. Stop it, it's not funny anymore.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I've always been scared of bathroom and bedroom and shower cameras and webcam hacking, but this is much worse. Thanks, internet!

And if you really trust them with this power, then you must have not seen any news within the last 2 years.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Tismo said:
The real reason for building it is obviously Dogecoin mining.
[sub][sub]Much wealth[/sub][/sub]

[sub][sub]So easy[/sub][/sub]

[sub][sub]Many spies[/sub][/sub]

I feel bad for saying that now.

OT: Well obviously they need it in case we come across alien machine monsters. The NSA is just trying to save us from aliens guize. They saw Star Trek: The Motion Picture, they know what's up.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Vivi22 said:
If someone figures out how to make quantum computing work, modern encryption will be utterly useless.
Until that same degree of processing muscle is turned back towards creating advanced encryption on its own level.
Remember: Public encryption only had the government scared once personal computers became affordable for the average citizen back in the early 90s. I see no reason that couldn't happen again with quantum machines.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Caffiene said:
FalloutJack said:
Vivi22 said:
On the other hand, as Tzzimy linked to above, once we have quantum computing working reliably then new methods of cryptography also become available.
We actually already have quantum encryption algorithms. I'm not sure if they require a quantum computer to actually run the algorithm though.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
If they are telling people about it now that means shit was already running for years, and they aren't the only ones who have them either.

Hell even Google has their own quantum computer, although theirs is set up for pattern matching.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
So they are not "building" a quantum computer, they failed to do so.
Get your headlines straight.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Weaver said:
We actually already have quantum encryption algorithms. I'm not sure if they require a quantum computer to actually run the algorithm though.
Yeah, the theory is certainly already there. Most of the quantum encryption ideas Im aware of make use of either the parallel processing aspect or things like particle spin as the methods of encryption, though, which would require the quantum computer before they can be implemented - afaik, its named quantum encryption because it is encrypted by quantum computer rather than because it is encrypted against quantum computing.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Good thing noone has managed to make quantum computers work, and not for the lack of trying. I remember in 2007 when we hit a single core wall everyone was screaming that quantum computers are the next step and current technology halted. well no, we just got better at it. Sure, someday quantum computers may be a reality. not today though. Though technically there is one, who can calculate 2+2 and not much else, but its a proof of concept.

As far as breaking encryption i think their better off investing into a supercomputer. If we have a computer that fits in your palm able to crack a 8 digit/letter passwords in under 30 minutes, we have computers that can crack harder ones in similar fashion. and that was last years codecracking show, or well, two years ago now since we are in 2014 now.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Valderis said:
Let's hope the open world will build one before the damn NSA does.

Not sure if it even matters though...
Quick question, where's your avatar from? It's going to be bugging me all day...

Anyhow, you know what this sounds very much like to me? A certain book written and released 15 years ago...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Fortress

Normally I think Dan Brown is full of crap (though I do enjoy reading his stories purely as entertainment, and the Tom Hanks films were pretty good). But he predicted this almost 15 years before Snowden started leaking info to the papers, so I'm just going to leave it here and see what people think...

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
$80 million for a conceptual computer you cannot even program and control in usual/reasonably understandable ways? please, pour more money into that, because this might as well be the fusion generator of this century.

EDIT: after reading some articles on wikipedia it seems that they actually might have a chance here.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
I would guess the NSA/CIA/DARPA has all kinds of fun little gadgets and doodads that the private market is still working on. It's one of the benefits of existing in a country that likes to dump billions more than anyone else in to the Defense budget without a noticeable rise in performance. Iraq is, officially speaking, over while Afghanistan is down to relatively low troop levels, yet the budget for the Pentagon remains staggering. Gee, I wonder where that money is going? Could it be to fund things like Quantum computers or some military space plane? I don't know, but I sure as hell hope so.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
FalloutJack said:
And if you leave it on all night with nothing to do, eventually it will return the answer "42!".

But in all seriousness, isn't proper decription and decoding of software something you leave to a keen human mind who has an eye for patterns and instincts that a computer will never have? You can only program the computer with the accrued knowledge you have so far, which is no guarantee against something new, is it?
The problem is that a quantum computer could (theoretically) try all possible password combinations almost simultaneously.

I suddenly feel the need to read the fourth realm trilogy again.