Nvidia announces RTX 4000 series - Promises big performance, even bigger prices

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It's because nVidia is trying to normalize luxury prices for commodities. They've got AI to chase now; who cares about gamers? (Because that mindset did so well for them with crypto, ya know.)
Yeh, they're absolutely doing that, and more likely than not will succeed, because corporations are very good at training consumers to eat shit, and act like we should be grateful for it.
Fuck me, was just looking at some prices and I could get an 7900XTX for 1000-1500 dollarydoos cheaper than a 4090
7900xtx is the flagship, but is actually in the same ballpark as the 4080, with a slight edge for AMD in straight rasterisation, while the 4080 generally comes out ahead in raytracing. That said, the 4080 is still €200-400 more than the 7900xtx, but overall a little worse for everything that isn't raytracing (and upscaling. DLSS is so far a fair bit better than the competition)
Just how agressively are nVidia planning to shit the bed?
They're shitting alright. But not the bed.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
The more I see the more I'm thinking about just buying a refurbished 2070 super. It's far better than what I have, reasonably close to a 3060 in performance and a halfass acceptable price....

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I felt dirty the other night because a friend asked me to look at a rig they want to build - their first - and I was all excited cos they had a 7900XT - price to performance flagship powerhouse - and then they said they needed to use Blender and wanted to Stream. I had to recommend that due to the superior support, they switch to an nVidia card. It added a $300 bump to the build price and lost 4GB of VRAM for the privilege.

I mean I like nVidia cards, I know my 3080 is gonna last me until probably the 6000 series or so, but they’re just so doggedly determined to overprice and under equip or even outright mislabel their cards this generation. It’s insane

Reactions: gorfias

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Jee, somehow no one wants the card barely better than its predecessor. And after Nvidia already quietly stopped producing 4070s cuz no one wants those either.

Tho knowing Nvidia, the lesson learned from this will be "gamers don't want GPUs anymore, so let's stop making them and go all in on AI"

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Jee, somehow no one wants the card barely better than its predecessor. And after Nvidia already quietly stopped producing 4070s cuz no one wants those either.

Tho knowing Nvidia, the lesson learned from this will be "gamers don't want GPUs anymore, so let's stop making them and go all in on AI"
Either that or rebrand and relaunch as the 4050. Which is what it should have been in the first place. Kind of.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I would have asked what they needed to use it for because if its primarily 3D modelling rather than any heavy rendering work then the card won't really matter.
I will ask; content creation isn't a part of computing I'm very familiar with so I can only go on what I've been able to research. I'm pretty confident its rendering, but I will double check.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The more I see the more I'm thinking about just buying a refurbished 2070 super. It's far better than what I have, reasonably close to a 3060 in performance and a halfass acceptable price....
Would that cost you about $500? You can get the RX 6700 XT new, around $350, I'm guessing more energy efficient and faster than the 2070 Super.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Would that cost you about $500? You can get the RX 6700 XT new, around $350, I'm guessing more energy efficient and faster than the 2070 Super.

It would run me about 399, but honestly doom and gloom aside I suddenly feel I should back up a little bit. I keep reading stuff about price cuts and although my country tends to lag behind when it comes to that stuff I figure I may as well wait it out and see what goes cheaper.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Dear nVidia, have the AI's taken over and are forcing you to do stupid things so they can further their evil plans for world domination? Have Jensen blink once for yes and twice for no at the next reveal event.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Jensen no longer needs to blink. His eyes behold only the filthy lucre of the AI market.
You'd think though that making money hand over fist in that professional space, they'd use that income to undercut AMD by offering......actually, I don't think I can finish that statement with a straight face.

Nox

Jun 20, 2023
Country
Valhalla
You'd think though that making money hand over fist in that professional space, they'd use that income to undercut AMD by offering......actually, I don't think I can finish that statement with a straight face.
They need AMD. Part so we can still pretend they don't have a monopoly--which we fucking do, thanks to CUDA--and part so Nvidia can continue to pretend to be the "premium" offering. And, judging by the sales, it works. Still don't really know a single person that has an AMD card.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
They need AMD. Part so we can still pretend they don't have a monopoly--which we fucking do, thanks to CUDA--and part so Nvidia can continue to pretend to be the "premium" offering. And, judging by the sales, it works. Still don't really know a single person that has an AMD card.
I have a 5700xt that I bought at the start of 2020 (about a month before graphics card prices went insane due to the pandemic). It's fine, I like it well enough.

Fidelity FX isn't as good as DLSS, and freesync isn't quite as good as gsync, but they're both still pretty good and do a great job at keeping my FPS high and keeping things feeling smooth at 1440p even in newer titles. Fidelity FX is also becoming more common than DLSS for smaller titles since it's free for developers to implement (though those titles are also typically less demanding in the first place, so that's a bit of a moot point).

A lot of people complain about driver issues with AMD, but I can't say I've experienced significantly more driver problems than I did when I was using nVidia (I previously had a 980).

I would love to get a newer nVidia card that gives me access to the newest version of DLSS, but not at these absolutely insane prices. I don't give 2 shits about raytracing, and I'd rather pay less for a card that's better at rasterization. Also my monitors don't have gsync and I don't plan on replacing my monitors anytime soon, so having a gsync capable card means nothing to me.

Last edited: