Nvidia, ATI Get Bad News In Price-Fixing Lawsuit

ReepNeep

Jan 21, 2008
Nugoo said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
ReepNeep said:
I've had three different ATI cards over the years (Radeon 7200, Radeon 9500 Pro, Radeon X1950 Pro) and have been satisfied with all but the first one.
I've got a Radeon 9600. Even with the latest drivers, any graphically intensive game can't do translucencies and knocks my core temperature to 30 degrees/chip temperature to 65. Playing GTA VC crashes the ATI driver after ten minutes.
65? That's fantastic. My 8800 idles at 70 and peaks above 90. Still runs like a dream, though.
Its an 8800 GT right? Those things have a seriously nerfy cooling system. Seems to be adequate though.

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
ReepNeep said:
Its an 8800 GT right? Those things have a seriously nerfy cooling system. Seems to be adequate though.
They aren't the best cooling solutions however most graphics card chips can handle in excess of 100 degrees C (around 115 is the failure point I think). So unless you have extremely bad airflow the GT won't cook itself.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Damning evidence. Nothing says prices will drop after that though. The problem lies in the practice of illegal business activity.

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
Arbre said:
Damning evidence. Nothing says prices will drop after that though. The problem lies in the practice of illegal business activity.
if anything prices would go up, the alleged price fixing happened a way back and if they were slapped with a huge fine I have no doubt they'd want to recoup the loss.

Feb 13, 2008
ReepNeep said:
ReepNeep said:
I've had three different ATI cards over the years (Radeon 7200, Radeon 9500 Pro, Radeon X1950 Pro) and have been satisfied with all but the first one.
I've got a Radeon 9600. Even with the latest drivers, any graphically intensive game can't do translucencies and knocks my core temperature to 30 degrees/chip temperature to 65. Playing GTA VC crashes the ATI driver after ten minutes.
65 degrees is actually pretty normal for a video card at full load. They run much hotter than CPUs do. How long have you had the thing? Has it always done weird stuff like that? Other programs having trouble running for extended periods?
I have CPUICE running, otherwise something like HL2 would shut down the system heat security. Uh...3 years, yes, anything more graphically intense produces more problems...some games get about 2 fps. Most can't do translucencies.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
ReepNeep said:
ReepNeep said:
65 degrees is actually pretty normal for a video card at full load. They run much hotter than CPUs do. How long have you had the thing? Has it always done weird stuff like that? Other programs having trouble running for extended periods?
I have CPUICE running, otherwise something like HL2 would shut down the system heat security. Uh...3 years, yes, anything more graphically intense produces more problems...some games get about 2 fps. Most can't do translucencies.
That card isn't exactly made for new games. have you considered a new PC?

Feb 13, 2008
Aries_Split said:
ReepNeep said:
ReepNeep said:
That card isn't exactly made for new games. have you considered a new PC?
Many times, but finances tend to proclude luxuries atm. :) and my motherboard only accepts AGP.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Many times, but finances tend to proclude luxuries atm. :) and my motherboard only accepts AGP.
I had the same problem as you root. I bought a stock PC from HP around 2004, and now I know about PC specs, I checked out my PC specs. I was planning an upgrade, but unfortunately my motherboard runs AGP as well. May I suggest a 7600GT? I've got one, and it's a good card. I have no complaints, and I've been playing Far Cry, practically everything on High, and the only time it stutters is during the cutscenes, and even then not so much.

ReepNeep

Jan 21, 2008
From what you've said it sounds like that 9600 is on it's last legs.

The 7600GT is a pretty good card and should be able to run any of the UE3 games at medium detal. ATI made the 3850 in AGP flavor and its a hell of allot faster than the 7600 while not costing much more at this point (at least as computer parts go). It doesn't sound like you're interested in buying ATI again but Nvidia cards are significantly harder to find in AGP.

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
Fandan said:
This lawsuit is ridiculous and should be thrown out. Nvidia and AMD should counter-suit each of the complainants for base stupidity. Boo hoo, their products cost too much. High-end GPUs are a luxury item. If you can't afford them, tough. You don't see people suing fashion designers for making handbags so expensive. It's not like Nvidia or AMD sell a necessary commodity that everyone has a right to. Hey, I can't afford an F430 because Ferrari prices them too high. Maybe I'll sue them so they'll lower their prices. This kind of frivolous lawsuit keeps companies from spending more on R&D to give us a better product.
This isn't about people whinging that something is expensive; it's about two companies making prices artificially high through collusion. That's not just annoying- it's illegal. No one likes monopolies because they keep prices artificially high for no good reason other than that the monopoly knows you can't buy anywhere else. Cartels are worse because they fool customers into thinking there's competition and fair pricing while they gouge people in secret.
I can't afford a Ferrari either, but that's because Ferraris are expensive to make. If they actually cost $10 to make but were sold at $100,000 because every car company is working together to keep prices high, and thus increase their profit margin by a huge factor, then yes I would sue Ferrari.

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
I agree with the point... the high prices are hurting someone: PC game creators!

If the cards were more affordable then more people would buy them and open up the market for more customers. Plus, operating systems are gonna get more flashy (OSX, Vista, and beyond) and people are gonna want to watch HD movies with flashy interfaces and more. This will require dedicated graphics. This is why Intel is making the push into the market: Integrated graphics can no longer cut the mustard.

Trust me, this is more serious than just us deciding which card to buy to run Crysis. This has alot more going for it. Don't forget that many industries rely on graphics solutions for visual representations such as the medical and engineering. This affects more than you think, so research before just declaring it a whiny argument.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
TheKbob said:
I agree with the point... the high prices are hurting someone: PC game creators!

If the cards were more affordable then more people would buy them and open up the market for more customers. Plus, operating systems are gonna get more flashy (OSX, Vista, and beyond) and people are gonna want to watch HD movies with flashy interfaces and more. This will require dedicated graphics. This is why Intel is making the push into the market: Integrated graphics can no longer cut the mustard.

Trust me, this is more serious than just us deciding which card to buy to run Crysis. This has alot more going for it. Don't forget that many industries rely on graphics solutions for visual representations such as the medical and engineering. This affects more than you think, so research before just declaring it a whiny argument.
Medical? Really?

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
TheKbob said:

Trust me, this is more serious than just us deciding which card to buy to run Crysis. This has alot more going for it. Don't forget that many industries rely on graphics solutions for visual representations such as the medical and engineering. This affects more than you
think, so research before just declaring it a whiny argument.
Has anyone read the litigation?

The alleged price fixing happened many years ago

Of course they could be colluding over current prices to, however if they were performance/price would be much closer and they'd probably be getting sued for the current generation too.

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
Aries_Split said:
Medical? Really?
You know those large medical MRI machines and the such. Well people want real time 3D displays of a person's internals to better diagnose problems. With more and more powerful graphics technologies, this is becoming a real time option. Check out the nVidia Quadro line. For workstation graphics. I know here at GE Aviation, there are workstations such as the power our 3D model systems for our engines. It's VERY effective to render an entire engine and look for interferences based off that instead of building the entire thing and going "oops!". Trust me, you cannot render that many 3D components on integrated... I know, I have had to :(

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
TheKbob said:
Aries_Split said:
Medical? Really?
You know those large medical MRI machines and the such. Well people want real time 3D displays of a person's internals to better diagnose problems. With more and more powerful graphics technologies, this is becoming a real time option. Check out the nVidia Quadro line. For workstation graphics. I know here at GE Aviation, there are workstations such as the power our 3D model systems for our engines. It's VERY effective to render an entire engine and look for interferences based off that instead of building the entire thing and going "oops!". Trust me, you cannot render that many 3D components on integrated... I know, I have had to :(
Next step, holograms. I know it, I've seen it in Bones.

Faeanor

Dec 15, 2007
Fandan said:
MosDes said:
Fandan said:
Boo hoo, their products cost too much. High-end GPUs are a luxury item. If you can't afford them, tough. You don't see people suing fashion designers for making handbags so expensive. It's not like Nvidia or AMD sell a necessary commodity that everyone has a right to. Hey, I can't afford an F430 because Ferrari prices them too high.
I don't quite understand how you equate GPUs to handbags. I see many more jobs in graphic design, video game production, etc., than with any job using handbags... As for vehicles, I buy what works and is inexpensive, which seems synonymous to GPUs, I have a card that is better than a junker but is well in my price range and works quite well. Who says I need anything high-end?
That's exactly my point. High-end GPUs are no more a necessity than expensive handbags or Italian sports cars. Price parity does not need to exist for such luxury items. If a company requires a high-end item, whether it be a graphic design house or video game production team, or a racing team, or a fashion design house, then they will have to pay for it.

Suing companies for price-fixing of luxury items is ludicrous. Surprisingly no one has sued Starbucks for $4 cups of coffee. I guess they decided to opt for $1 cups at Dunkin Donuts instead of suing and accusing them of collusion.
But the thing is, you can go out and get a cheap handbag that has all the uses that a ridiculously overpriced handbag, same with a car. But with a gpu you just can't do that. I NVIDIA and ATI were colluding over prices that gives them a virtual monopoly over the market right?

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
Arbre said:
Next step, holograms. I know it, I've seen it in Bones.
Search the web... people are seriously wanted that technology and working on various forms for new forms of digital, HD projection.

Also, check out some of the graphics card tech and displays that are pushing A) for 3D built into the cards (you just need those clear special 3D glasses) or screens that allow different viewing angles so there is no long split screen... player on the left sees only the 1st player stuff and player 2 only sees the 2nd player stuff all by where they sit.

Real stuff, look it up!