Nvidia, ATI Get Bad News In Price-Fixing Lawsuit

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
TheKbob said:
Arbre said:
Next step, holograms. I know it, I've seen it in Bones.
Search the web... people are seriously wanted that technology and working on various forms for new forms of digital, HD projection.

Also, check out some of the graphics card tech and displays that are pushing A) for 3D built into the cards (you just need those clear special 3D glasses) or screens that allow different viewing angles so there is no long split screen... player on the left sees only the 1st player stuff and player 2 only sees the 2nd player stuff all by where they sit.

Real stuff, look it up!
Volumetric holograms hanging up in midair? No way. I didn't question your claims, although I may have sounded quite sarcastic.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
If ATI and Nvidia lose, they will only pass the extra costs to us. What a rediculous turn of events.

You cant make people compete in a market where there are only two big players. So why try?

If you cant afford a card, dont buy it, if you can, go ahead. The problem is that people has this 'I deserve' mentality. They want affordable awesome GFx Cards but they dont want to pay for them. If Nvidia wants to charge $1200 for their cards, and they sell them, good for them! It is not for you or me to challange that in the courts. Buy them or dont, just dont complain that you cant afford them while not working and living in your parents house 8)

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Doh! Not again. Before anyone points it out, yes, I just unintentionally necromanced a thread...

Note to self: Be more careful in reading stuff in future.

TheKbob said:
Arbre said:
Next step, holograms. I know it, I've seen it in Bones.
Search the web... people are seriously wanted that technology and working on various forms for new forms of digital, HD projection.

Also, check out some of the graphics card tech and displays that are pushing A) for 3D built into the cards (you just need those clear special 3D glasses) or screens that allow different viewing angles so there is no long split screen... player on the left sees only the 1st player stuff and player 2 only sees the 2nd player stuff all by where they sit.

Real stuff, look it up!
Lol. Have you noticed Nvidia currently pushing the red/blue tech?

What I find most interesting, is that stereoscopic 3d has been in NVidia hardware for about 10 years now, but because most people don't care, the drivers rarely let you actually use it.
(otherwise, it'd simply be an option you could turn on in any game - Assuming you had some kind of 3d output system.)

However, what I found more amazing, is that ATI has had it too. The specs for the X1000 series (And probably several older chips as well) also has hardware support for stereoscopic output....

But I don't think I've ever seen an ATI driver that supports it...

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
ReepNeep said:
I've had three different ATI cards over the years (Radeon 7200, Radeon 9500 Pro, Radeon X1950 Pro) and have been satisfied with all but the first one.
I've got a Radeon 9600. Even with the latest drivers, any graphically intensive game can't do translucencies and knocks my core temperature to 30 degrees/chip temperature to 65. Playing GTA VC crashes the ATI driver after ten minutes.
Try boosting the fan speed to 100% if you're having heat issues. Most control software includes a way to boost the fanspeed. Also most Video Card manufacturers have their fan speeds capping at 80% of the fan's maximum speed, so you can usually get some extra oomph out of them.

EDIT: Damnit I fell into a pit of necromancy!