Oblivion - New User

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Not to be branded a noob or anything, but I recently bought a copy of the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (can't play it till tommorrow as I left my 360 at University). Any tips for new users? I'm usually used to JRPG's more than Western RPG's, so I'm limited to the first Fable game, any good western RPG's out there as well that I should play?

spyrewolf

Jan 7, 2009
loot everything! money is scarce in the begging and you need a bit of it too get some 'good stuff' - in the first dungeon in the beginning make sure you pick up every thing and sell off what you don't need, be mindful of encumbrance though.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Find a map of where to start all the daedric quests. They were my favorite part.

Healey

Apr 14, 2008
Go through as many quest paths as you can. If you're looking for the most from the game, switch between good and evil to get as much done (and score as much loot!) as possible. Though if you're going for the whole "Roleplaying" thing, you may find it better to stick to one side/style.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
This site is very helpful, but don't use it for a bit less it will spoil the game

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion

Other than that, do the arena early on buy the house along the waterfront it's cheap and a good place to store stuff

Kaisharga

Dec 5, 2007
If you plan to ever do things for the thieves' guild, and you find a place called Ancestor Moth temple, do NOT go inside until they ask you to. A particularly un-fun glitch happens otherwise.

Gameplay-wise, you don't actually need to look up all the daedra shrines; finding them on your own is highly fun. But you should look up Azura's shrine and do her quest as soon as humanly possible.

Grimm91

Jan 8, 2009
Really think of your play style before you really start. Don't use an Orc if you are a stealth player ect. I say start with the Knights of the Nine quests. You get some really over powered armor, but only if you have the edition of the game that includes that.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
Grimm91 said:
Really think of your play style before you really start. Don't use an Orc if you are a stealth player ect. I say start with the Knights of the Nine quests. You get some really over powered armor, but only if you have the edition of the game that includes that.
On the contrary, I actually had some fun making a character who was an orc, who worked his way through the thieves guild. Maybe i played the game for far too long, but i imagined all the other thieves in the guild being impressed at my green skinned stealth troll!

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
Avoid doing portals... they are boring as hell..

Oh, and if the game starts getting too hard too fast don't be ashamed to adjust the difficulty slider down since the game isn't well balanced at all.

Grimm91

Jan 8, 2009
jebussaves88 said:
Grimm91 said:
On the contrary, I actually had some fun making a character who was an orc, who worked his way through the thieves guild. Maybe i played the game for far too long, but i imagined all the other thieves in the guild being impressed at my green skinned stealth troll!
I did too it just really took forever to get stuff done. However I found that if you go to an inn and go into stealth mode.Then sneak into a corner for about an hour. You can max out your sneak skill. I used a rubber band to keep my joy stick from moving and took a nap. When I woke up I had a green ninja with a hand axe.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
Grimm91 said:
jebussaves88 said:
Grimm91 said:
I did too it just really took forever to get stuff done. However I found that if you go to an inn and go into stealth mode.Then sneak into a corner for about an hour. You can max out your sneak skill. I used a rubber band to keep my joy stick from moving and took a nap. When I woke up I had a green ninja with a hand axe.
I did exactly the same thing actually. He wasn't my main character I was getting achievements with, so I don't feel guilty.

Grimm91

Jan 8, 2009
jebussaves88 said:
Grimm91 said:
jebussaves88 said:
Grimm91 said:
I did exactly the same thing actually. He wasn't my main character I was getting achievements with, so I don't feel guilty.
Same here. My main was a Breton Wizard that I maxed out his ability with every school of magic. He was a beast.

Ricky 49

Jan 10, 2009
right after u exit the class designation bit and u can freely roam the map there will be a temple ruin thing just across the river. easy place to get a level under ur belt and some good loot to sell for some starter coin so just raid that area

good hunting

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Don't use the bow and arrow, it doesn't work very well.

I would start off with stealth they are overpowered and you can get to at least level 30 until you start getting screwed over by the difficulty level. And plus, shanking is fun.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Steal everything you can get your grubby little mitts on.

ZenMonkey47

Jan 10, 2008
If you plan to use heavy armor, join the fighters guild as soon as possible. Many of the branch offices have steel armor laying around for the taking and the main branch has 2 fine steel longswords for your use.

Abjuration makes lockpicking obsolete. Level yourself up to 75ish and you can open ANY lock without the use of lockpicks.

Illusion makes persuasion obsolete. As soon as you get into the Arcane University make a touch spell that gives 100 reaction for 1 second. Since dialogue "stops time" this allows you to use your good vibrations, talk to them and get maximum reaction for only a tiny amount of mana.

Destruction and Restoration are hard skills to gain ranks in, because to gain ranks in destruction you have to do damage to something and to gain ranks in restoration you have to heal damage. Now you could summon something and blast away at it, but the easy way is to make a spell in the Arcane University that does 1 damage to yourself and then heals yourself.

Don't pick skills that you plan on using a lot for your main skills. I realize how silly this sounds, but the faster you level up, the stronger your enemies get. However, if you pick things that you can easily control how much you use (such as locksmithing and persuasion) it's possible to be the most powerful warrior-mage in all the land and still be level 1.