Obsidian Admits it Has a Bug Problem

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Obsidian Admits it Has a Bug Problem

The studio's boss is hopeful that its next game will be nearly bug-free.

Obsidian Entertainment CEO Feargus Urquhart says that he's aware that his studio has a reputation for releasing bug-filled games, and that it is something that it needs to work on. So far, every game that Obsidian has released has been criticized for the number of glitches they contained, most recently - and most spectacularly in many cases - Fallout: New Vegas.

Urquhart felt that his company's reputation as a "buggy" developer was fair, and said that while he was proud of what Obsidian had accomplished with New Vegas, he wished that it hadn't been so glitchy when it came out. Just like designer Chris Avellone [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104644-Obsidian-Fallout-New-Vegas-Has-Bugs-Because-Its-Big ], he blamed the scale of New Vegas was the reason that so many bugs went unfixed before release, but said that excuses didn't matter when someone had paid $60 for the game. He was a little put out, however, that bugs were what Obsidian was best known for, saying that people often praised its games in the same breath as it complained about the bugs.

He said that Obsidian was working very hard to ensure that its next game - Dungeon Siege 3 - wasn't a repeat performance. "We've been playing and playing and playing and playing to ensure it's of a high standard," he said. "On top of this, this is the first time we've got to use our own technology on something, which means we know where to find the bad bugs from the start!"

Urquhart does have a point: Obsidian does tend to make good games, once the bugs are ironed out. Whether than fact really makes up for the catalogue of problems [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_289/8549-What-Happens-in-New-Vegas] in games like New Vegas, however, is a matter of personal preference and patience.

Source: Now Gamer [http://www.nowgamer.com/news/5753/obsidian-we-wish-new-vegas-wasnt-glitchy]

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Heheh...this is news?? "Obsidian has a bug problem!" Good thing they acknowledge it though, the day we see a *somewhat* bug-free release I'll say that's newsworthy. And I hope so too, I happened to be a very big fan of the first 2 Dungeon Sieges.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I think it's cool that these guys acknowledge their reputation. I mean, it's easy to say that you'll change and then not do it, but atleast they pretend like they will, which is a good first step.

Sad if people reduce this studio to 'that buggy developer' because I think they've made some quality titles. On the other hand I can't blame people, their releases are usually bugged up the arse.

Kinda interested in DS 3 now. DS 1 was pretty cool when it dropped, hope they can return to some of that glory.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
character
all the bugs add character to Obsidian games.
and i am adding lack of polish the sins Obsidian if guilty of, just look at Kotor 2 and Alpha protocol.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
I still like Obsidian. They know how to both add depth to gameplay and story, while keeping it easy enough to figure out for newbies.
They're just let down by who ever is doing the technical details for them.
Bonus points to this guy for at least admitting his studio has a problem.

As a side note,
I do love New Vegas(bugs excluded), it fixed almost everything I had problems with in Fallout 3.
I hope to see more of their games in the future :)

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
So true Obsidian. I loved Neverwinter Nights 2 and Mask of the Betrayer, but damned if they weren't two of the buggiest games I have ever played.

Still, I think I may get DS 3 now. I just wonder how much lore I need to know in order to play it.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Good job Obsidian, you admited something everyone already knew. Heres hoping their next game isn't a buggy mess.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
It's not just the bugs, the many variations in gameplay make the games a bit schizofrenic. Can't help but laugh when Mike Thornton is being "suave" one minute and pouring bleach down someone's throat the next.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
The only game made by Obsidian that I've played was Neverwinter Nights 2, and i didn't spot any bugs...though, that was a long time ago, so i may not remember correctly.

But of course, even without playing New Vegas, i heave heard of the massive scale of bugs.
Well, let's hope that they can change that in their future games.

SilverVirage

Apr 27, 2011
Well, their old games were fairly buggy, but nowhere near as bad as New Vegas. And with that, you cant really hold it against them, cause as far as I remember, Bethesda forced them to use that excuse of an engine, Gamebryo.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Man, this has been a week choc full of "Really, no shit!" news.

This just in:
Water discovered to be a liquid!

edit:
lol, guy above me just made the same joke

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
Understatement that is. I don't really mind updates and community bugfixes solve almost anything and the games are great.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
He was a little put out, however, that bugs were what Obsidian was best known for, saying that people often praised its games in the same breath as it complained about the bugs.

Pretty much every game developer suffers from this in some way. For example; "Oh hey Valve Portal 2 was fun NOW RELEASE EPISODE 3 YOU FUCKS!!".

Anyways, the first step on the path to correction is admitting you have a problem. Honestly though I find it hard to believe that Obsidian could actuall make a game not plagued by bugs at this point. They're going to have a hard time shaking that reputation.

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
Acceptance is the 1st step on the road to recovery, a very small baby step in this case but a step none the less.

edit: beaten to it >.<

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
In other news, the sky is blue.

Are they just now realizing this? I certainly hope not. Honestly, I maybe the minority here, but I'd rather a game come out late and with no bugs (or very few at any rate), than come out on time and be unplayable.

Makes me think of the old Penny-Arcade comic where they buy a game without the actual game and have to wait for a patch to get it. (Sorry, I don't have the time to look it up)