Obsidian CEO Talks Planescape Sequel

S3Cs4uN 8

New member
Apr 25, 2011
100
0
0
coldalarm said:
The Zango said:
Nooo! A Planescape sequel or something else set in that universe would be fine, but please let it be made by a competent studio, anyone. Anyone! But Obsidian.
You seem to forget that Obsidian is mostly Black Isle devs.
who cant QA for shit
 

frago roc

New member
Aug 13, 2009
205
0
0
Stay the FUCK away from my NOSTALGIA!!

EDIT: Although a good game in the Planescape setting would kick ass me thinks.
 

meryatathagres

New member
Mar 1, 2011
123
0
0
Therumancer said:
*rrrrippy*
Going gold means that the game has been finished and is going to the press. I believe it orginates from golden discs having been used for masters.
There never was a license for a second Planescape game specifically. Interplay had license for all ADnD games back then.
I really don't want a sequel for Torment, as there is no way in high hells that the writing could live up to the original. At best it'd be like directing WoW raiders to go play Angry Birds. :p (If someone says there is already a WoW addon for playing angry birds in WoW, I won't be too surprised xD ).
The setting is very nice tho...but then again so is Dark Sun, or Mystara (Gazetteer/blackmore/etc. especially with its illogical geoclimate)
 

Oroboros

New member
Feb 21, 2011
316
0
0
Good to hear that they aren't planning on making a shameless cash-in on the series, I have seen too much of that already. While I wouldn't mind another game set in Sigil, There is absolutely no call for a sequel starring the nameless one.
 

meryatathagres

New member
Mar 1, 2011
123
0
0
S3Cs4uN 8 said:
coldalarm said:
The Zango said:
Nooo! A Planescape sequel or something else set in that universe would be fine, but please let it be made by a competent studio, anyone. Anyone! But Obsidian.
You seem to forget that Obsidian is mostly Black Isle devs.
who cant QA for shit
Ehm. Obsidian has always been given projects that have to be finished fast. They've always had to cut content, and haven't had time to test the games.
Give Obsidian 3-4 years to make a game, and you'd be surprised. They after all do have most of the most talented crpg gamemakers of the past two decades. Remember, Bioware used to be a subsidiary of Black Isle.
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
I pity the author of this article for putting "Planescape: Torment" and "poor" in the same paragraph. I hope you'll see the light and play the game - this whole article would be a lot different if you actually did that.
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
Better idea. Re-release it with compatability to work on new operating systems.

Otherwise, stay the hell away you game killing, bug ridden, nasty little buggers.
 

Drunkbot

New member
Nov 9, 2010
70
0
0
If there were to be a sequel (and there probably shouldn't be a direct sequel, at best have some of the old party characters make a cameo in a game set in Planescape), I hope Dak'kon would be the protagonist. While the other party members are certainly memorable, Dak'kon reminds me of an antihero from a Michael Moorcock novel. A tragic past as an elite warrior from his society with a magic morphing blade? Where is this man's love interest; he needs a villainous foil as well ASAP.

Oh wait, TNO was probably the best villain possible for him, oops.
 

lumenadducere

New member
May 19, 2008
593
0
0
I have to agree, a new game set in the Planescape setting would be awesome, but Torment ended the way it did for a reason. It fit perfectly with the themes of the game and its whole point, and to throw on a sequel arbitrarily would completely ruin that.
 

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
901
0
0
Planescape 2, I might be alright with, but a Torment 2? That's like beating a dead horse. The Nameless One's story is done, it has been told, he's come full circle (so to speak), so for the love of Ao, leave let him be. I sure hope all of this is just what it is, and no more: talk.
 

Smooth Operator

New member
Oct 5, 2010
8,162
0
0
"it would have to be done right" - well you better start working on those patches right now then

But honestly leave it alone, we all know you will be fucking something up, sure you're not Bioware so we don't haveto fear gameplay for retards, but still those games took alot of work to get that good and noone these days spends that much time on games.
 

S3Cs4uN 8

New member
Apr 25, 2011
100
0
0
meryatathagres said:
S3Cs4uN 8 said:
coldalarm said:
The Zango said:
Nooo! A Planescape sequel or something else set in that universe would be fine, but please let it be made by a competent studio, anyone. Anyone! But Obsidian.
You seem to forget that Obsidian is mostly Black Isle devs.
who cant QA for shit
Ehm. Obsidian has always been given projects that have to be finished fast. They've always had to cut content, and haven't had time to test the games.
Give Obsidian 3-4 years to make a game, and you'd be surprised. They after all do have most of the most talented crpg gamemakers of the past two decades. Remember, Bioware used to be a subsidiary of Black Isle.
and look whats happened to bioware
 

UnravThreads

New member
Aug 10, 2009
809
0
0
McMullen said:
That may be true, but Obsidian is also known for making horribly, unplayably buggy games. They ought to be put on probation, making casual mobile games for a decade before they're allowed to work on a significant title again.
And, pray tell, were their titles as Black Isle not buggy? Was Neverwinter Nights 1 not buggy? Or BioWare's Baldur's Gate series (With which Planescape and Icewind Dale share engines and possibly little bits of development)? Obsidian get so much flak for having buggy releases, yet other studios with just as buggy games get none. BioWare's games are a technical mess, yet the package is just held together better.

Warachia said:
So is Bioware, but there are just some games that should be left alone.
BioWare's mostly BioWare. They have some Black Isle devs, sure, but they didn't form from Black Isle. Actually, I think they might actually pre-date Black Isle by a year or so.

meryatathagres said:
Remember, Bioware used to be a subsidiary of Black Isle.
No, they did not. Black Isle were a subsidiary of Interplay, and Bioware were always an independent studio during the time of BG's development (The last two years before the EA buyout were as part of something with the now defunct Pandemic, but it was still an independent holding). They have never been a subsidiary of Black Isle, merely closely linked due to co-development on both Baldur's Gate (BG2 installs under Black Isle' name, despite being a BioWare game) and Icewind Dale.
 

McMullen

New member
Mar 9, 2010
1,334
0
0
coldalarm said:
McMullen said:
That may be true, but Obsidian is also known for making horribly, unplayably buggy games. They ought to be put on probation, making casual mobile games for a decade before they're allowed to work on a significant title again.
And, pray tell, were their titles as Black Isle not buggy? Was Neverwinter Nights 1 not buggy? Or BioWare's Baldur's Gate series (With which Planescape and Icewind Dale share engines and possibly little bits of development)? Obsidian get so much flak for having buggy releases, yet other studios with just as buggy games get none. BioWare's games are a technical mess, yet the package is just held together better.

Warachia said:
So is Bioware, but there are just some games that should be left alone.
BioWare's mostly BioWare. They have some Black Isle devs, sure, but they didn't form from Black Isle. Actually, I think they might actually pre-date Black Isle by a year or so.
Never had to mod Bioware's games just to make it possible to proceed. And I'm not talking about difficulty. I mean it was actually impossible to leave certain towns in Neverwinter Nights 2. After uninstalling, removing all files and folders, and reinstalling, the problem still persisted. Had to figure out how the map code worked and then mod in a spell to make the world map appear.

I consider that to be pretty goddamn bad, and have never played any other game that required me to fix it before being able to finish. People who let crap like that get to market need to either learn to test their games to make sure they can be played all the way through, or go out of business.
 

UnravThreads

New member
Aug 10, 2009
809
0
0
McMullen said:
People who let crap like that get to market need to either learn to test their games to make sure they can be played all the way through, or go out of business.
Yet, surely, it's Atari's fault for releasing it as it was? They're the ones with the licence, they're the ones who published it.
 

meryatathagres

New member
Mar 1, 2011
123
0
0
S3Cs4uN 8 said:
They have never been a subsidiary of Black Isle, merely closely linked due to co-development on both Baldur's Gate (BG2 installs under Black Isle' name, despite being a BioWare game) and Icewind Dale.
Yeah probably I used wrong word (enrish diffcurt), but Bioware made games for Interplay, and Black Isle was the Interplay rpg arm, and kinda tutored bioware. Bio otoh did make infinity engine quite independently. (I'm not really sure if thats a boon or a bane ;) )
 

CaptainVanguard

New member
Feb 2, 2011
2
0
0
Torment does not need a sequel, no, BUT Planescape was a great DND setting and one of the most open-minded ones for origional twists on the traditional DND races.

If they were to regress it a bit or simply opt to take the franchise a different direction and declare the horribad faction war non-canon, they would possibly make some great opportunities out of this.

Planescape is a setting, where opportunity knocks, only a fool would ignore the potential of its universe.
 

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
8,413
15
23
Naheal said:
Obsidian wants to do a sequel? *Gasp* Surprise!

Hopefully they get the Black Isle team on it.
Obisidian = Black Isles. This sequal might work out since it would be their own.