Obsidian Does it Again

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Obsidian Does it Again

Did Obsidian even test Fallout: New Vegas before releasing it?

Read Full Article

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Did Obsidian even test Fallout: New Vegas before releasing it?
If they had, my revolver would keep the hollowpoint ammunition in its chamber when I switch to a different weapon for 2 seconds.

At least the patch is out.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
After having watched the Spoiler Warning episodes that covered FO3 I was wondering whether you'd have anything to say about New Vegas.
I'm almost considering buying this but honestly these huge amounts of bugs are unacceptable, you have a Q&A people, you have programmers, have them work together, hell DELAY THE GAME WHILE YOU FIX IT. Valve may always release really late but atleast their games don't tend to be horribly broken, unlike anything by Bethesda or Obsidian apparently. Its suprisingly the two companies even continue to have anything of a reputation.

true_kensai

Oct 8, 2010
It crashes to desktop whenever I want to wait. Got patch 1 before playing, and yet so much disappiontment. But I still love the game, it's addictive as hell)

Jul 22, 2009
I just got the 360 version of New Vegas today (Europe release date) and I got the patch and haven't encountered any problems so far... I also installed it to my 360 to cut loading times and pop in.

Still I'm really enjoying it ^_^ It's making me want to re-buy Fallout 3 too.

DOS4GW

Oct 22, 2010
Never seen anyone so quick to dismiss Neverwinter Nights 2 and Mask of the Betrayer. It had rough edges, yes, but it was hardly "broken."

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I was sympathetic to Obsidian about KotOR 2 (despite them ruining one of my favourite series') because I was aware of LA's involvement, but then I realised the publisher always gets blamed for their fuck ups.

LA with KotOR 2, Atari with NWN 2 (not a complete fuck up, but dull - to me - and definitely buggy), Sega with Alpha Protocol...

Even now it's Bethesda who are being blamed too, despite the engine of the FO games being made by a different company and Obsidian being the ones to make the game (and the ones responsible for fixing bugs).

There's a common denominator here, and it isn't the publishers.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
This is why Im waiting for the patched GOTY editionb or what have you.

true_kensai

Oct 8, 2010
NWN 2 wasn't broken. It was bug-challenged)

Up to version 1.23, when they didn't really bothered to fix that annoying thing with movement in third-person mode. Ah, nevermind...

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I have a built in soundcard that come standard with most ASUS motherboards. I have resorted to shamanism to get the sound in New Vegas to pretend like it works properly. I'll wait for another patch.
At least they're patching this one. I'm still waiting for the "Better game patch" for Alpha Protocol.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I too will think to wait for the "Game of the Year" edition (quotes indicate sarcasm). Chances are it will be patched or they will release patches fixing the problems by then. Oh wait, Obsidian made it you say? I guess it will be up to the community to fix one of their games. Again.

jedizero

Feb 26, 2009
Umm, it *is* actually the steam cloud service that botched it up. Anyone who ran the game in offline mode and deleted their backup save files could make as many quick saves as they want.

Open user data, go into the only folder after that, and open folder 22380, delete the contents, back them up if you wish, start game, and enjoy your quick saves and auto saves.

They've disabled Steam Sync now, but the game still automatically reaches for the old save games because they're on your computer. On another computer, they wouldn't be there, so they'd reach for the proper files.

Ehe....re-read the thing and saw he *did* find a way around it with the forums.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
It's really not being unreasonable or troll-like to criticize Obsidian for this now. Some people will defend them because they love the game, or maybe they have been fortunate enough to not encounter any bugs yet. So far, I do love the game. I didn't love Fallout 3, but Obsidian has made some subtle and some more obvious changes that make New Vegas a much more enjoyable experience for me. So far, I've only had one game crash and a bug that immediately preceded it where two enemies attacked me, so I killed them and then was punished for it with negative Karma and a murder charge. That's all I've had, but when you see so many people coming out with a veritable potpourri of glitches, you can't turn a blind eye.

Obsidian needs to really change this pattern in their releases. After it happening so many times, you can't cut them slack because "the publisher rushed them" or what have you. How have they not addressed this issue yet? You would think if they are aware of their reputation (and how could they not be aware?), they would make damn sure to sweep their games clean of these issues as well as they can.

rpsms

Mar 18, 2010
Re: save games:

Absolutely Steam-based problem. A Batch file which clears the steam cache folder before every launch OR write-protect that folder and your save game problems go away.

Steam.

I am with you on the playtesting though

[edited some tpYos]

Apr 28, 2008
This is why I'm waiting a few months to buy the game. By then it will all hopefully be fixed. By either the community or the devs.

Woodsey said:
I was sympathetic to Obsidian about KotOR 2 (despite them ruining one of my favourite series') because I was aware of LA's involvement, but then I realised the publisher always gets blamed for their fuck ups.

LA with KotOR 2, Atari with NWN 2 (not a complete fuck up, but dull - to me - and definitely buggy), Sega with Alpha Protocol...

Even now it's Bethesda who are being blamed too, despite the engine of the FO games being made by a different company and Obsidian being the ones to make the game (and the ones responsible for fixing bugs).

There's a common denominator here, and it isn't the publishers.
Agreed. With KOTOR 2 I can see how its Lucasart's fault. They forced the game out way before it was ready.
Not sure what the deal was with Atari and NVN2, so I can't really comment on that.
Sega isn't the best, so perhaps a bit of the blame can be leveled at them, although its unlikely.

However Bethesda cannot be blamed for this. According to the Brink developers, Bethesda is "hands off" with its publishing, meaning it lets the devs do their thing without interference. This is a failure by Obsidian, and nobody else. Yes the engine does have its bugs, but this save thing is just inexcusable.

thethain

Jul 23, 2010
jedizero said:
But no, apparently people are content to fling their hands skywards at the first bug, (On an engine, made by bethesda, that is OBSCENELY BUGGY TO BEGIN WITH. YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I CRASHED IN OBLIVION.) Screaming out "WORST GAME EVER LOL SO BUGGY"
Joe user should not have to deal with a showstopper bug in a game within the first minor bit of playing. If they didn't test steam cloud, they shouldn't have implemented it. That isn't a complicated concept. I am curious if it is a case of poor QA or just QA being ignored by the development. Or just rushed in general.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Sounds like it's par for the course for a newly launched Bethesda's Flavour of Gamebryo game. I've heard worse from Fallout 3 (specifically the DLCs being completely and utterly broken at launch).

In Obsidian's defence, the game only went gold three weeks ago [http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/02/release-disparity-anguish/], and the save bug may be Steam related, and they've got two patches out for it already.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
As soon as I saw that Obsidian was working on the next installment of my beloved Fallout, I knew I had to take the "wait and see" approach.

After reading this and seeing some gameplay vids on YouTube, I'm glad I didn't waste $60 on this buggy shit. Like many above me have already stated, I'll wait for the GOTY that will inevitably come out in late-2011/early 2012.

On another note, why is it so fucking hard to make a good game that takes place in Las Vegas? Seriously, even a UT3 map of the Strip would be the funnest thing to happen to UT3, so why is it so difficult?