Obsidian Does it Again

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
Ultratwinkie said:
bethesda is still running through elder scroll's "magical" rule where they can step on the lore then say "magic" then get away with it. fallout lore is not elder scrolls lore. Hell did you know that cyrodiil was originally a lush, west jungle? only to be made into a run-of-the-mill forest?
yeah I know, it was both actually, given that they've provided a canonical reason for the change. And run of the mill forest really depends on what you used to. Should they stay true to the lore and make Skyrim all generic ice and snow? No, I would rather they make it more of a northern Scandinavian landscape, rather than all ice and snow. Sometimes change is good.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
This is why Im waiting for the patched GOTY editionb or what have you.
Agreed, I'm just not extremely excited about these games as I am with others. So, I can wait for a year or however long to get a cleaned up copy with whatever dlc is associated with it by that time. Same with FO3 GOTY, I didn't find any point in purchasing a fresh copy AND packs of dlc when I could probably, eventually get it all together on one convenient disk.

Sep 14, 2009
HK_01 said:
It's funny how many people support Obsidian even after all these buggy games.
aside from bugs, they make amazing games imo, and so do alot of other people think that.

now i hate bugs, i really do, i usually get them by the truckloads for every developer, but if a game is solid, i can deal with the bugs, or get a mod or patch to fix it.

i have yet to deal with any game breaking bugs since kotor 2, which literally it broke the game. even then, i found a way around it and i beat the game a good 30 times now with the same trick.

personally i would rather have them keep creating the amazing games they do make with the bugs, they offer up great features and generally solid stories/characters , and id rather have that than rather deal with mediocre same rehashed crap like bethesda and a few other companies keep offering up. (yes i understand that new vegas is on the same engine and alot of the same textures, but overall their games haven't changed one bit over the years)

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
So me and my boyfriend have played the game for what, together 40 hours or so by now. Between the two of us, we've experienced one glitch, one soundbug, and a staggering three crashes. But then, our games are also free of the massive bug that is steam. Coincidence?

(Oh, the endings we had were still awful though)

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
HK_01 said:
aside from bugs, they make amazing games imo, and so do alot of other people think that.

now i hate bugs, i really do, i usually get them by the truckloads for every developer, but if a game is solid, i can deal with the bugs, or get a mod or patch to fix it.

i have yet to deal with any game breaking bugs since kotor 2, which literally it broke the game. even then, i found a way around it and i beat the game a good 30 times now with the same trick.

personally i would rather have them keep creating the amazing games they do make with the bugs, they offer up great features and generally solid stories/characters , and id rather have that than rather deal with mediocre same rehashed crap like bethesda and a few other companies keep offering up. (yes i understand that new vegas is on the same engine and alot of the same textures, but overall their games haven't changed one bit over the years)
Oookay, I might be willing to accept that some Obsidian games are quite good, very good in the case of New Vegas, but I am not willing to accept you hurling mud at Bethesda! Honestly, Morrowing, Oblivion and Fallout 3 are the same to you? Apart from having similiar basic mechanics, they are very different. And that's just their really "big" games. You could also add games like Wet, (okay, that is apparently crap (I've never played it), but you can hardly say it's the same as their other games) Call of Cthulu, etc.

I actually think it's funny that you're accusing Bethesda of all companies of rehashing the same "crap" all over again when there's people like EA who re-release the same games every year with minor tweaks and a new number at the end of the title. Or the Call of Duty series, also hardly changes with each installment.

On a side note, calling Bethesda games crap while defending KotOR 2 really tempts me to flame, but I won't. Just know that there's differing opinions on the quality of KotOR 2, with or without bugs and parts missing from the game.

Zannah said:
So me and my boyfriend have played the game for what, together 40 hours or so by now. Between the two of us, we've experienced one glitch, one soundbug, and a staggering three crashes. But then, our games are also free of the massive bug that is steam. Coincidence?

So that means that the bugs so many other players experience don't exist, because you haven't had them? And how come that Steam doesn't screw up all other games then? Seriously, how does Steam affect a game's programming to make glitches appear in-game?

Anyway, I'm waiting for the GOTY edition, hopefully all or at least most of the bugs will be fixed by then.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
After playing Alpha Protocol I realized....Nah, actually all I need to say is; "After playing Alpha Protocol." in a forum dedicated to Fallout: New Vegas, I'm sure you all can fill in my whole paragraph based on those four words.

Sep 14, 2009
HK_01 said:
gmaverick019 said:
HK_01 said:

Oookay, I might be willing to accept that some Obsidian games are quite good, very good in the case of New Vegas, but I am not willing to accept you hurling mud at Bethesda! Honestly, Morrowing, Oblivion and Fallout 3 are the same to you? Apart from having similiar basic mechanics, they are very different. And that's just their really "big" games. You could also add games like Wet, (okay, that is apparently crap (I've never played it), but you can hardly say it's the same as their other games) Call of Cthulu, etc.

I actually think it's funny that you're accusing Bethesda of all companies of rehashing the same "crap" all over again when there's people like EA who re-release the same games every year with minor tweaks and a new number at the end of the title. Or the Call of Duty series, also hardly changes with each installment.

On a side note, calling Bethesda games crap while defending KotOR 2 really tempts me to flame, but I won't. Just know that there's differing opinions on the quality of KotOR 2, with or without bugs and parts missing from the game.

Zannah said:

So that means that the bugs so many other players experience don't exist, because you haven't had them? And how come that Steam doesn't screw up all other games then? Seriously, how does Steam affect a game's programming to make glitches appear in-game?

Anyway, I'm waiting for the GOTY edition, hopefully all or at least most of the bugs will be fixed by then.
morrowind = more expansive and different than oblivion but gameplay is utter crap
oblivion = much better combat but not as noteworthy on land and environment design, horrible voice actors and horrible story/character designs
fallout 3 = shallowed down guns version of oblivion, with a couple notable voice actors who made little difference to the actual story or died early on. once again horrible story/character designs.

now those are very general sums, and i'll say i did play through and did enjoy them each at least once, they really didn't require anything special to make and i've honestly played alot better from other companies. thats why i "flung a bit of dirt" at them.

so through all that, on the same engine, there are very very notable similarities, in which if you connected morrowind and oblivion the only difference you would truly notice is the gameplay if you were a melee user. otherwise it was just down to personal taste.

fallout new vegas is what fallout 3 was made out to be and what it should have been, and dont even try to mention bugs because i spent literally a week just making the game even work beyond the menu, so there were plenty of game breaking bugs, so trying to throw that out there against new vegas wouldn't do anything.

i have played wet, and i agree it is crap, call of cthulu just wasn't my thing personally, so ill give it a pass on personal taste.

i did say that kotor 2 was a game breaker, it literally was a broken game.

however, what was done, had only improved and drastically made it much better than the first one = lightsaber/force styles, make your party members into jedi if you proceed through the story correctly with them, much more varied weaponry, much more modifications and building of modifications and weapons, better use of the force powers, and personally (and much like others i have come across) liked the quests alot better.

once again ill reiterate, the game was broken, the ending was broken (if you can even call it that) and it just dropped off on that, however , if you want to compare it to the first, it was a complete upgrade in nearly every area otherwise and the modding community has fixed it enough to make it playable and enjoyable.

now i wont sit here and argue over that, nor defend it anymore, as its down to personal taste, but judging by your avatar you enjoyed at least the first kotor so ill leave it at that.

i would say half of EA's releases are sports games or social based, in which yearly versions are expected, and they will be that way till the world explodes, its simple, sells decent enough, and is a annual contribution. i hardly buy there games because i know what to expect out of it and so does everyone else, so they dont bug me so much on that part. now to get onto the shooter side of things, im not a fan of some of the call of duties, they have changed a bit here and there but thus far they haven't done anything really that different beyond making the game broken or twitch based, which aren't my kind of games. so i can agree to those points also.

Zannah said:

troll. that has nothing to do with it, i got it off steam and haven't had a single bug yet beyond a giant radscorpion getting stuck in a rock. and thats it. so take your troll talk back under the bridge.

Pete Oddly

Nov 19, 2009
I guess I'll add my two cents to the pile.

My opinion of New Vegas gets worse the longer I play it. I have the PS3 version, and let me tell ya, it ain't all a basket of kittens. My top three teeth-gnashing bugs are:

Companions who get stuck somewhere and disappear
I never told Boone to wait for me, I just jumped into the river and swam over to a Deathclaw nest. After a heated round of genocide, I continued upriver and didn't pay attention to whether Boone was following me. By the time I realize Boone isn't shooting bad guys anymore, I've fast traveled away across the map. Boone hasn't come back. I've tried waiting. I've tried Novac. I've tried waiting IN Novac. Backtracking. And finally, saying "Fuck it". At least the Spotter perk still works.

Chug...chug...chug...FREEZE
This pretty much speaks for itself, but the frequency of it makes me want to give cigarettes to babies.

Vanishing NPCs
I've had NPCs decide, "Fuck this noise, I'm leaving for a job in Fallen Earth". Specifically, I cannot finish a quest for the Great Khans because Melissa jumped ship. There isn't even a body or a 'Dear John' letter. Nothing.

Honestly, I don't encourage anyone to buy it until they've read a heaping pile of reviews.

That being said. I fucking love this game. I know I shouldn't, but I totally do. The story blasts Fallout 3's out of the water, and has so many more connections with earlier Fallouts that I've actually put down the controller to call a friend and tell him to go to X location in the wasteland.

So there. Fuck you Obsidian, for making me love a broken game.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
On my X-box my games works pretty well except for things love running around in the ground.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
I guess I lucked out getting the 360 version, huh? If you can get it working, it's a very enjoyable game - my only complaint so far is that I don't think the music selection is as polished as GNR was.

Dragon-Byte

May 21, 2009
[Playing on Ps3]
I don't have any save game issues
but THIS FU*CKING GAME CRASHES EVERY PLAY SESSION
for no reason at all
not stuck in a mountain or anything but:
-repairing boxing gloves
-walking forward
-pop out of VATS
-THE FU*CKING FLAMER ...dont even get me started on that one

i could go on for days people..

=HCFS=Discoman

Jan 1, 2010
Hooray! now I'm justified in not buying F:NV
even Fallout 3 was buggy, but never to those levels.
how hard is it to actually have a QA department-or even some playtesters?
depending on the game, playtesters would fight to get to play the game, and most testers could be paid with a game copy. just throw in a few extras, like skins or another character or something, and give them that.
like Halo reach. most fanbois would have gladly killed their families to playtest that, and would have probably payed to get to test it, but they would have taken the game over money (probably)
in short, IT ISN'T THAT HARD TO LOOK FOR ERRORS.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Here here, I want my 80$ I spent back for the collectors edition.

16,000 Caps? Jesus I'd be screaming bloody murder if that happened to me. Obsidian would get a big boot up their ass. In fact I'll be happy to do it anyway.

I think Bethesda should have been more involved with development. Obsidian was to focused on the wrong things, they should have at least play-tested it, at least once. Bethesda kinda just took Obsidian's word that they'd take their Fallout tools and make it great. Bethesda should make and release thier own games, and if they need help hire some more peope, buy out a few developers.

Why in the world did they give it to obsidian anyway? What are they working on that they couldnt put all their attention and focus on New Vegas?

I run it on the 360 and the things I run into are the super long load times, and many, many invisible walls.I cant even complete some quests because of the walls. Its infuriating. Fortunitly my 360 hasnt dropped any of my save files, but maybe thats because I use a memory stick usb instead of a hard drive.

Judokast

Nov 19, 2010
Man i was sorry to hear about that 16,000$ jackpot loss. That sounds like one of those blue-moon occurrences and to have a crash occur sucks. I'm waiting a bit on Fallout NV until a few patches pass and can play the game a bit safer, even though i am looking forwards to it alot.

mGoLos

Nov 7, 2007
16.000 bottlecaps ... damn.

Imagine if you'd be playing in hardcore and that had happened. I might have sued Obsidian for emotional injury.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
unacomn said:
I have a built in soundcard that come standard with most ASUS motherboards. I have resorted to shamanism to get the sound in New Vegas to pretend like it works properly. I'll wait for another patch.
At least they're patching this one. I'm still waiting for the "Better game patch" for Alpha Protocol.
not to be mean or anything, but i find asus as a brand to be a let down in the motherboard department
anything but the latest and greatest enthusiast board is as bug riddled as any b grade game
i grew tired of fsb holes, and flaky performance of mine and abandoned them for gigabyte