Obsidian Lost Bonus for Fallout: New Vegas by One Metacritic Point

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
They. Got. Paid. For. The. Game.

If you're laying people off, then you're not managing your finances properly.

Relying on a bonus to not fire staff is exactly the same as waiting staff relying on tips to .. well .. live.

The problem here is not when some customer refuses to tip when they think the service is mediocre.
The problem here is not even because the service is mediocre enough to get such a reaction.
Sure, the billionz of bugs in F:NV is probably responsible for the 84, and had it 10% fewer bugs, it may have made the target.

However, that's still not the fucking issue.
The problem is, THE FUCKING RESTAURANT ISN'T PAYING STAFF ENOUGH TO LIVE ON.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Orange12345 said:
from now on every single game reviewer should give every game a 10/10, just write a honest review and give the game a ten regardless of what was actually said in the written review.
reminds me of when I watched gametrailers Metroid Other M review, the guy spends most of it talking about the terrible voice acting, the bad story and script, and how he hates what they did with samus, which apparently only knock down to 8.9 or something like that.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
I don't know what's sadder.

The fact that people think that those scores matter...

Or the fact that those scores are now costing people their jobs.

This is why I prefer video reviews. With text reviews, anything can be said to your face, and you wouldn't exactly be able to tell from the screenshots or from the text whether they're omitting a few things or not. Even with things like Zero Punctuation, you can tell that they had to go through some trouble playing through the game, and in the case of some video reviewers, capturing footage that outlines their points. Granted, some of them are extremely critical in their complaints and have a bar set so high that getting any kind of praise from them is difficult, but you can tell that they're being a lot more legitimate than most game sites.

Or hell, I'd even prefer something like GFaqs's review system, because if you're going to make text reviews, just have them open to the public. Sure, you're probably gonna have every CoD fanboy and their mum saying that Modern Warfare 7: Nuclear Combat was the best game of all time, but you'll also have the rest of the community pointing out its flaws, so you'll have a (slightly) balanced system.

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
Darkmantle said:
ugh, this is despicable.

You guys couldn't let that one point slide eh boys? it's bad enough you are using metacritic ffs. now every reviewer won't want to give a game an honest score in case someone is screwed out a a bonus.
How exactly is it despicable?

Fallout 3 has scores of 90, 91 and 94 on Metacritic, depending on what platform your on. The fact that they set the target for bonus's at 85, rather then 90 like they most likely could have justified is downright benign by most big companies standards these days. I mean seriously, its FALLOUT, half the sites most likely added a couple of points simply because of the brand behind it, let alone the fact it possesses half the original developers from fallout 3.

The bonus was practically there's to lose, regardless of any interference or whatever from Bethesda. They had an established IP, a generous target to reach, and according to the fan reaction, they would smash it out of the park. Not to mention they inherited quite a few assets and code from Betheseda.

Due to the way the contract was no doubt worded, and the advantages they had, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if both sides considered the bonus target to merely be a formality. I mean, it was a quasi sequal, with features that brought everything back to their roots and crap.

If anyone screwed Obsidian out of the Bonus it was obviously Obsidian. It was most certainly theres to lose, and not bethesedas fault if they screwed it all up.

Seriously, why the hell is there so much Betheseda hate around. If it wasn't for them, there wouldn't have been ANY fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas at all. Instead there would have been more Fallout Brotherhood of Steels, developed from a dying brand that likely would have ended up getting snapped up by EA or Activision.

Think about it. Fallout by Activison or EA, in the same vein as post westwood command and conquer, Syndicate or X-Com.

Coming soon, from EA. Fallout 1942. A newly innovative cover based shooter that takes us from before war ever changed. Live the war against chin wait we might offend them, can't have that,) South africa. Experience the moments when the Nuk wait, thats not very family friendly candy bombs dropped yourself!

targren

May 13, 2009
The Gentleman said:
Quality assurance (i.e. alpha and beta testing) is better handled in house. If something is bad, it takes less time (and therefore, money) to fix if the person finding the problem is already in the studio. The quality clause in this contract (which is what we're referring to) provides an assurance that the product they would be getting is off the minimum desired quality.
I think that depends on the house. This is Obsidian we're talking about, after all.

I have to admit, this does give me a certain amount of schadenfreude after Avellone's ***** fit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.333033-Obsidian-Hopes-Digital-Distribution-Stabs-the-Used-Game-Market-in-the-Heart]

It takes more than a nostalgic pedigree to achieve greatness.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I was all prepared to make some comment about how maybe they should have released it without so many bugs, and then I read to the part about the layoffs and all the snark went right out of me.

Damn. That sucks.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011

Adam hits the nail on the head. If you depend on scores as a publisher you're doing it wrong. Look at the market. If you know you made a good game, but it isn't selling worth shit you need to talk to your PR guys.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Using Metacritic score as some sort of measurement is BS
Why not using sales figures for let's say first 6 months?
That would make more sense.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Fappy said:
Same here. I love JRPGs but you can tell from a good amount of professionals that review them that they don't even feel that the genre should even exist.

WRPG: Save the world = best story ever made
JRPG: Save the world = JRPG cliche would not play again
As a fellow JRPG fan, I couldn't agree more. That said I do still love a good CRPG, but only for how deeply you can intervene in the plot. My love for JRPGs mostly rests in a fond mixture of nostalgia, love for a good Japanese storyline (because that scene where the party ventures into Cloud's head will always stick with me), and an odd love of grinding (but not the WoW kind, MMO's just turn me off, mostly due to their endless nature).

The good news is that Famatsu still seems to love JRPGS, so they'll still keep getting pumped out, the only question is how many will make it over-seas.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
It's shit like this that make me wonder if i should keep on trying to get into the AAA gaming industry or just hop aboard the indie development train.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
While using metacritic is asinine in itself, its almost said that when the game first came out, it was a "70" game. Fun; if you weren't raging against a game locking bug.
But now that the game has been patched up a bit, its a good solid 90+.

Only if they gave themselves 30 more days to find a bit more of those game locking bugs and nearly every review would have been above 80%.

I mean, there are 3 sites that rate it 70% or lower, which really drag down the score. If those 3 sites happen to have been even a minimum of 75%...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I think a better we just found a reason for "omg you gave us a 8 you haters" reasoning.

better system would be:
8.5 = bonus
8.0 = 0.75 bonus
7.5 = 0.5 bonus
7.0 = 0.25 bonus
that way this 0.1 point wouldnt be such a terrible thing for them.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
This is why people rage against reviewers having tough standards to give a perfect score. Does it seem like Bethesda does not like people from Interplay?

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
This is madness!

Madness?

THIS. IS. CAPITALISM!

Basing such an important thing on Metacrock though? I didn't even realise people still treated that site with any attention, let alone base financial rewards on it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
well, Bethesda, that's a dick move. And to think everyone honestly believes Bethesda can do no wrong. It doesn't help I already think Skyrim is the most massively overrated game of 2011, then they gotta do something stupid like this