Obsidian Promises No More Bugs with Dungeon Siege III

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
FredTheUndead said:
EA promises less shitty DRM with Mass Effect 3.
They're getting better at it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107435-BioWare-Lifts-the-Lid-on-Dragon-Age-2-DRM

This one sounds pretty reasonable, at least when compared to Spore.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
I am cautiously optimistic. This news could mean they've actually hired a QA team. Dropping Gamebryo is a very good move too.

r0binh00d

Jun 28, 2009
sheic99 said:
So, what was their excuse for Alpha Protocol?
Hey I liked that! FA:NV was worse for bugs. Much worse.

Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
They're going to make they're own engine? Well all aboard the fail train.
Alot of developers make their own engines in-house. Won't be worse than Bethesda's engine. With any luck it won't produce games that have "Unreal Engine 3" written all over the visuals too.

As to why I think it will be better:

As a software dev I've lost count of the amount of times I've thrown my arms in the air out of frustration because some tool that I didn't code but have to use has some really irritating little shortcoming or bug that breaks something I did code. I can't fix it because I can't reverse engineer it and fix that little bug myself. Sometimes it's even something as apparently trivial as functions being named things that seem a little ass-backwards. Like using a right handed mouse when you're left handed. Arguably that would be *my* fault or problem, but if enough of it is like that the result is the same - it's unworkable.

A few times I've said screw it, thrown out whatever tool I was struggling to use and built my own.
It cost more in time, but the results were so much better because rather than using an old, buggy tool for a job that it wasn't explicitly designed for in the first place*, you are using a clean, fit for purpose tool specifically made to do exactly what *you* want it to do.

* Obviously a game engine is engineered to be a game engine - I'm talking about very specific tasks here. Obsidian know exactly what they want for their new game - they can make a lean, mean game engine machine to do that, do it well and do nothing else. Bethesda's engine would have had a decade worth of bloat and deprecation in it, and as we devs know the phrase "legacy support" does not a happy coder make.

This way they create a scalpel to replace the meat cleaver they were previously using to make the delecate incision required to implant an experience in someone's mind.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Joining the chorus on this one. New Vegas and Alpha Protocol are two of my favorite games of last year, so Dungeon Siege III is guaranteed to get at least some of my money, but I'm sure there's going to at least be one major bug that they won't catch despite their best efforts.

P.S.: I still had fewer problems with New Vegas than I did with Fallout 3, so they must've done something right.

r0binh00d

Jun 28, 2009
arragonder said:
but damn it now I wanna use Onyx. and as talented as the guys at obsidian are I trust them on this because working with your own tech is a fuck load easier. (people that've never programmed have no idea what a difference it makes)
Amen brother.

The other thing I find really annoying is when using 3rd party tech, quite alot of them forget to add "var skynet=false;" to the start of their code.
The machines are coming... if the zombies don't get us first.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
As Obsidian currently stands on the top three list of my favorite devs (along with Quantic Dream and CD Projekt Red), I'm happy to hear that. I won't believe until I'll actually see it, but I have my fingers crossed.

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
Oh, Obsidian...

You fooled me with KotOR 2

The surprise was less with Neverwinter Nights 2

I saw the heartbreak coming with Fallout: New Vegas. I knew you were gonna let everybody down.

You honestly expect me to believe you *can* release a game that isn't broken? Yeah, I won't be holding my breathe for that one, either.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I hadn't heard of this game before, but now I want to pay attention to this and see what happens. If it works and launched with no game breaking bugs, I might even try to pick up a copy sometime.

Turio

Jan 24, 2011
What? Taylor never even remotly said that there will be no more bugs. Just that stability is a focus. And he didn't use the word promise anywhere?

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Turio said:
What? Taylor never even remotly said that there will be no more bugs. Just that stability is a focus.

Lying words in other peoples mouth much?
What do you think he is referring to when he says 'stability?' Game Crashes, game breaking bugs and several other things that could ruin the stability of your game.

Turio

Jan 24, 2011
maddawg IAJI said:
Turio said:
What? Taylor never even remotly said that there will be no more bugs. Just that stability is a focus.

What do you think he is referring to when he says 'stability?' Game Crashes, game breaking bugs and several other things that could ruin the stability of your game.
Yes, but a stable game isn't equivalent to a bug free one. And again, he didn't promise anything.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Turio said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Turio said:

Yes, but a stable game isn't equivalent to a bug free one. And again, he didn't promise anything.
He is making a claim that their going to be sure to test the game more thoroughly (I.E. He's aiming to make Dungeon Siege III less buggy compared to their other titles.) When the title refers to bug-free, it means no more crashes or corrupted saves or losing several hours of game time just because an AI doesn't function right. No one cares if a character clips into the scenery a lot and that's not what we're looking for right here. And he did just state that they're placing making a more stable experience higher on the charts for things needed, which is essentially the same as saying "We promise we'll work harder at it."

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Obsidian, your games being buggy and crashing has absolutely nothing to do with game engines. At all.

Instead, it has everything to do with you having a shitty, lazy, incompetent QA department, all of whom should have been fired and executed years ago.

Actually, scratch that. It seems like everyone who isn't an artist or involved in the story/character department has no idea what the hell they are doing.

As a matter of fact, the only reason most of your recent games even half work is because they've been based off things where 60% or so of the work was already done for you by someone not incompetent, IE: Bethesda or EPIC.

Stick to stories and characters and plots Obsidian. Let other people do all the actual gameplay work for you; trust me, it'll turn out better.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Paragon Fury said:
Obsidian, your games being buggy and crashing has absolutely nothing to do with game engines. At all.

Instead, it has everything to do with you having a shitty, lazy, incompetent QA department, all of whom should have been fired and executed years ago.

Actually, scratch that. It seems like everyone who isn't an artist or involved in the story/character department has no idea what the hell they are doing.

As a matter of fact, the only reason most of your recent games even half work is because they've been based off things where 60% or so of the work was already done for you by someone not incompetent, IE: Bethesda or EPIC.

Stick to stories and characters and plots Obsidian. Let other people do all the actual gameplay work for you; trust me, it'll turn out better.
And I suppose you know all the internal workings to Obsidian then? Calling for the execution of someone because of a buggy game is ridiculous.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
I.E.D. said:
I love Obsidian and their games, but this statement is just ridiculous. There will always be bugs, even with an engine developed in-house.
This. His promise of bug free games is impossible. There must be millions of lines of code, there's no way to squish everything. I'd accept *stable* over bug free.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Massive disbelieve

Obsidian since its inception hasn't produced a finished product. The closest thing would be if you just played Peragas and Nar Shadda in Kotor 2 and quit there.

Also PC releases of console ports suck. What would really get me interested is if he said "The PC version will have a totally different interface than the console versions."