Obsidian Scrapped a Sci-Fi Skyrim

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Obsidian Scrapped a Sci-Fi Skyrim

Obsidian has revealed some details on an action-RPG that could have been.

Obsidian Entertainment has a knack for building inspired games on the shoulders of other studios' engines. Bethesda passed the torch to Obsidian to continue the Fallout series with New Vegas, but it seems the two studios were considering another collaboration - this time on the Skyrim engine. Unfortunately it looks like the idea has been shelved for now, but a design document has surfaced that details what could have been a sci-fi action-RPG that blends Mass Effect, Borderlands, System Shock 2, and of course Skyrim.

The prototype game was known as Backspace, and the creative types at Obsidian seem to have put a lot of thought into the game's setting, story, and mechanics before it was abandoned. The game would take place on a giant space station - think Mass Effect's Citadel - which is ravaged by an alien attack. You'd play as a cyborg who somehow gets caught up in a time travel scenario, shifting between the present-day station (which is under active assault by the invaders) and a bleak decade into the future where the aliens have won and control the station. The design doc mentions several gameplay features, including skills that improve over time, fast-paced gun and melee combat, and a selection of AI "companions" to slot into your armor to give yourself stat boosts and provide dialogue in the mostly isolated setting.

Obsidian boss Feargus Urquhart commented that the team may work more on Backspace in the future, but it's just one of many ideas that the studio has considered and ultimately shelved. Still, it sounds pretty cool - and we can still dream.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/a-sci-fi-skyrim-was-in-development-at-obsidian-it-ha-736060432]

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
Obsidian, release this, not only is it something new but it also sounds rather good, and its a rpg set in a sci-fi setting, not the fantasy setting which has been beaten to a bloody pulp with how many rpgs take place in it...

That and its obsidian, I loved Kotor 2 and new Vegas far more than there predecessors. Now if only there get the time to make it properly and not get screwed on the time tables...

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Obsidian always has great ideas for games. It's the execution that sometimes suffers. I would've loved to see Backspace rather than Project Eternity.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Doom972 said:
Obsidian always has great ideas for games. It's the execution that sometimes suffers. I would've loved to see Backspace rather than Project Eternity.
Who knows? Perhaps after Project Eternity Obsidian w.ill start work on Backspace

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Doom972 said:
This. However, I wonder if the Kickstarter (assuming they did one for Backspace) would have had as good a chance at being funded. If Project Eternity sells well, who knows what they might be able to do with this concept.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
frizzlebyte said:
Doom972 said:
This. However, I wonder if the Kickstarter (assuming they did one for Backspace) would have had as good a chance at being funded. If Project Eternity sells well, who knows what they might be able to do with this concept.
Something done on the Skyrim engine would probably have to be done in collaboration with Bethesda, they probably thought doing that on Kickstarter wouldn't be cool. Also, Project Eternity is a lower budget idea than this, not sure Kickstarter would deliver the best product there.

Sep 24, 2008
I Hate Everything. I hate everything because I don't currently own this! OBSIDIAN, YOU ARE GIVING ME THE BLACK RAGE!!!

Wait. Obsidian. That's my name. Whoa. Trippy.

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
UGhhhh..... My heart.... it cries out for this game to become reality, Damn it! this game sounded awesome and kind of like the game I've been dreaming of....... minus the the fantasy world worlds collide scenario.

The ideas sound great, especially the armor AI idea(kind of reminds me of RvB) of course knowing obsidian it would have been loaded with bugs but I really hope they get back to this idea.

WabbitTwacks

Dec 8, 2010
The story is really promising. Although it is prone to time paradoxes it still could have been (and perhaps will be?) a great game.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Yeah, but you didn't make it, did ya? So why mention it unless you you're going for the gaming cock teaser award? Trying to give Gabe Newell a run for his money?

RAGERAGERAGE

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
Well. Now I'm disappointed.

I suppose it'll be a good idea for them to make this game only when they're truly up for it. If they don't pour everything they have into it, the quality will suffer.

This would have been such a cool game to play though.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
There's nothing that makes me more wistful then mentions of Obsidian's games that could have been.

Sci-fi RPG on Skyrim engine?

Is this a dream or reality? Nevermind, just a dream.

Alpha Protocol 2?

Unlikely with Sega holding the strings.

Kotor 3?

If anything, then Disney will give the rights to Bioware.

Wheel of Time RPG?

No funds probably.

Might and Magic RPG?

Hell, nobody even knows this series! It's as dead as it can be.

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
This is a real shame, I've been looking forward to sinking my teeth into a new Sci-Fi Action RPG. Nothing has really been able to scratch that itch since Mass Effect and I would like to see how Bethesda would tackle that sort of setting. If its was going to be anything like Skyrim, the map would have been massive

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Too bad, would've liked to see it.

Have to say I hate time-travel based stuff in 90% of the cases though, it's often used as a cheap trick to explain otherwise ridiculous plot holes + it almost never makes sense.

Really hard to do it right, but it can be great if handled well.