Ocarina of Time/ Favorite Zelda Game

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I liked OoT when it was first out, but I feel that it hasn't aged very well. Every time I sit down to play it, I stop within ten minutes because the controls, mechanics and visuals are all so terribly outdated. Maybe if i had the 3DS version, things would be different, but as it is now, A Link to the Past and Wind Waker remain my favorite Zelda games. OoT doesn't even come close.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Twilight Princess is, without a doubt, the best Zelda game ever. Windwaker is good, but it has a bit too much monotone sailing. Skyward Sword is very good, but it feels padded and drawn-out. Ocarina of Time is great, but I'm worried my opinion might stem from nostalgia.

Twilight Princess, on the other hand, has everything that made Ocarina of Time good, and polishes it to a mirror shine. It's incredible. It doesn't exactly try to reinvent the formula, but it is by far the most fun I've ever had with a Zelda game.

Except maybe Oracle of Ages...

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Jazoni89 said:
j0frenzy said:
One does not simply wander into Legend of Zelda. Sorry OP, couldn't resist given your avatar.
I honestly never got the appeal of Ocarina of Time. It isn't bad, but I just never quite understood what it did so brilliantly that has it so highly rated considering a lot of the game retreads A Link to the Past. Incidentally, I think A Link to the Past still holds up really well, but I probably overplayed that game when I was younger so there are things I take for granted that I know that may not be as clear in retrospect.
Believe it or not, Ironically enough, Ocarina of Time was just that, when it was in early development.

A mostly 3D remake of a Link to the Past.

That was until they totally redesigned the game, when the game's development shifted from the disk drive Add-On (64DD) to the actual Nintendo 64 console itself.

The more I know indeed. Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. OoT does have some major differences with LttP, but it has a lot of similar broad strokes. I'll admit though, I'm probably just biased because I grew up on the SNES, playing Super Metroid, LttP and Mario World.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
I love all the Zelda games.(totally can't tell I'm a Zelda fanboy, right?) I can't honestly pick a real favorite because I enjoyed all of them for many of the same, and different reasons.

Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening.

All some of my top favorites(can't wait for the Majora's Mask 3D Nintendo's gonna make after their 3DS exclusive Zelda title. And a good part of me wishes that Nintendo would(just like Link's Awakening) put Oracle of Seasons/Ages and Link to the Past on the Nintendo eShop. I would gladly pay for all of those. I mean, they've got Link's Awakening and Four Swords.

Err, rambling on...but I digress, I would most certainly recommend Ocarina of Time. Brilliantly fun game, great soundtrack, I love the story and the characters and I really enjoy the game as a whole(I got the Special Edition Zelda 3DS that came with a fancy artjob and OoT3D :D).

And ignore what people tell you about the Water Temple. Water Temple's fuckin' awesome.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
My favorite 2D one is Link's Awakening. It has lots of secrets, a charming sense of self-awareness, and the dungeons just all seem more fun to me than the other 2D Zeldas.

My favorite 3D Zelda (and overall favorite) is Twilight Princess. It's full of awesome moments, has the best companion in Midna, has my favorite dungeons and bosses, and I actually love the motion controls in it. Those bonus sword maneuvers are just so fun to pull off. It also has lots of Darknut fights, which I always love.

Least favorite 2D Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (I know it has 3D models, but it plays just like a 2D game). It's actually the only game in the series I played and didn't like (haven't played Spirit Tracks, though). It's just weak all-around, and has some very annoying aspects as well (shouting at the DS? That one repeating temple?).

Least favorite 3D Zelda: Majora's Mask. I still love the game, mind you. Though I consider it a very good game, I think it isn't such a good Zelda game. It's weak where the series is typically strong (dungeons, bosses) and is strong where the series is typically weak (secondary characters, side-quests).

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Wind Waker is the most charming Zelda game I've ever played.
The game more than 10 years old and it still looks great to this day.

Stylised aesthetics age brilliantly.
Wind Waker is more than 10? My god, that was the first one I played, was so awesome..

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
malestrithe said:
Played OoT when it was new. To me it was a worse version of A Link to the Past.

I think Twilight Princess is a far better game. Sure it was a similar mechanic to Ocarina of Time, but it was done better. Midna tends to be a better parasite than Navi ever was. Midna did what she did for selfish reasons: she wanted to return home. She did not try to be helpful in anyway.
Ah, but Midna genuinely cared after a while. I am rusty on my TP knowledge, so I can't point you to the exact moment when it happens, but I know it does happen. Midna being Midna of course, is really tsundere about how she expresses her affection for Link, and it may be missed if you are not that observant.
Overall, Midna is my favorite companion of all Zeldas. She is witty and sarcastic, and tells you how much of an idiot you are being, rather than the irritating "HEY, DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU SHOULDN'T STAND STILL WHEN A SHADOW IS SLOWLY GETTING BIGGER ON YOU?"

OP: You have to understand that every Zelda is made on the shoulders of another Zelda. There are some that borrow from all of them, but others (like the portable ones) borrow from very select ones. OoT is one that is generally borrowed from the most because of how popular it was/is, and how great it was/is. I am not here to tell you that it is the best (my favorite is Skyward Sword) because that is entirely subjective. It is still a very good Zelda game, and I suggest you pick it up as soon as you can.

Keep in mind that OoT predates the era when games are supposed to be "hard and challenging". When you play OoT, you are meant to have fun. Obviously there is difficulty factored in, but it is not meant to be impossibly hard.

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
j0frenzy said:
One does not simply wander into Legend of Zelda. Sorry OP, couldn't resist given your avatar.
I honestly never got the appeal of Ocarina of Time. It isn't bad, but I just never quite understood what it did so brilliantly that has it so highly rated considering a lot of the game retreads A Link to the Past. Incidentally, I think A Link to the Past still holds up really well, but I probably overplayed that game when I was younger so there are things I take for granted that I know that may not be as clear in retrospect.
No need to apologize. xD Link to the past is another one I really need to try. 0_0 Maybe I can find the GBA version somewhere...

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
Torrasque said:
malestrithe said:
Played OoT when it was new. To me it was a worse version of A Link to the Past.

I think Twilight Princess is a far better game. Sure it was a similar mechanic to Ocarina of Time, but it was done better. Midna tends to be a better parasite than Navi ever was. Midna did what she did for selfish reasons: she wanted to return home. She did not try to be helpful in anyway.
Ah, but Midna genuinely cared after a while. I am rusty on my TP knowledge, so I can't point you to the exact moment when it happens, but I know it does happen. Midna being Midna of course, is really tsundere about how she expresses her affection for Link, and it may be missed if you are not that observant.
Overall, Midna is my favorite companion of all Zeldas. She is witty and sarcastic, and tells you how much of an idiot you are being, rather than the irritating "HEY, DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU SHOULDN'T STAND STILL WHEN A SHADOW IS SLOWLY GETTING BIGGER ON YOU?"

OP: You have to understand that every Zelda is made on the shoulders of another Zelda. There are some that borrow from all of them, but others (like the portable ones) borrow from very select ones. OoT is one that is generally borrowed from the most because of how popular it was/is, and how great it was/is. I am not here to tell you that it is the best (my favorite is Skyward Sword) because that is entirely subjective. It is still a very good Zelda game, and I suggest you pick it up as soon as you can.

Keep in mind that OoT predates the era when games are supposed to be "hard and challenging". When you play OoT, you are meant to have fun. Obviously there is difficulty factored in, but it is not meant to be impossibly hard.
Thanks for the tips. :) And to answer the Midna question, it's right after the third dungeon. there's a really nice sequence where you have to rush her back to Zelda and heal her. That's when she starts warming up.

...I've played TP a lot, can't you tell? xD

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i got the 3DS remake of OoT and owned the N64 version before that.

its still just 'meh'

it takes from Link to the Past to much to the point it just feels like the same game only less fun

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
>Ocarina of Time

This is a game I've played and beaten so many times, I never need to see it again. It's also a game where day after day I find more faults and overall bad design choices in the game. For this reason, I vowed to never score it on the day I became a reviewer.

And, derp, Wind Waker is the best traditional Zelda. Majora's Mask is one of the greatest and most atmospheric games of all time, but it's not exactly traditional.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
SmarterThanYou said:
Thanks for the tips. :) And to answer the Midna question, it's right after the third dungeon. there's a really nice sequence where you have to rush her back to Zelda and heal her. That's when she starts warming up.

...I've played TP a lot, can't you tell? xD
Ah I thought it was around then, I just didn't want to get it wrong and look like an idiot.
I've beaten TP twice (once 100%) but I haven't played it in almost 2 years. Maybe next week before D3 comes out, I'll give it a run through. Heh, that actually sounds like a good plan; have a week devoted to Zelda before D3 comes and steals my soul.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Wind Waker is the most charming Zelda game I've ever played.
The game more than 10 years old and it still looks great to this day.

Stylised aesthetics age brilliantly.
Agreed on the whole post, the game has aged so well, and besides. The graphics, music, character, whenever I turn it on I get the feeling that my gamecube is greeting me a good day hello!

paislyabmj

Mar 25, 2012
as a piece of gaming history absolutely yes but as a game in itself,despite being good, I don't enjoy it much because nearly every 3d zelda game I have played is in my opinion superior(windwaker being my fave)if you are into gaming history or want a game that is great by 3ds standards then go for it but I would recommend windwaker and MM over it.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I'll go on record as saying I don't think Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were fun games.
I just didn't engage in the world nearly as much as I did with Windwaker, Minish Cap and Link to the Past.

Those are all games that I'll still pop into their respective consoles and play every now and again. Meanwhile my N64 collects dust and I can't even be bothered to unwrap the cellophane from the Ocarina of Time Bonus disc I got for preordering Wind Waker.

(Y'know, back when companies would offer decent premiums for preordering and not just early access to DLC that you'll never use.)

Clinky

Jan 5, 2012
Jazoni89 said:
Kilo24 said:
Majora's Mask is definitely my favorite. It was the only Zelda game that really felt like it significantly diverged from the theme of the previous ones after Link to the Past, even if it did reuse practically all of the assets. The three-day cycle, slightly darker tone, and transformative masks were all quite interesting changes in my book.

Wind Waker was probably the other one whose gimmick was a significant influence, but I found the sailing to be quite boring. Especially when it came time to do the Triforce fetch quest at the end.

Zelda 2 was interesting in that it tried a lot of new basic gameplay concepts in a way that other Zelda games didn't. But it was still rather flawed, and maintains the dubious distinction of being the only Zelda game to reward grinding.
Zelda 2 isn't the only sidescroller Zelda game unfortunately.

Oh Ma Gawd, burn it with fire!
So... Non-canon... So... Awful... It... HURTS.

On topic: No worries, I didn't play Ocarina of time properly until I had played Twilight Princess, I had watched my mom beat OoT sure but I hadn't really paid much attention. I'd recommend giving Ocarina of Time a shot, sure it may not have aged very gracefully in several aspects but like a lot of old movies there is a reason it is considered a classic.

As for my favorite it's Twilight Princess, I love the art direction, the music, the story, and the world itself is very beautiful. I've spent a good amount of time just running around and admiring it all. I also love how they added so many exploration mechanics to it. It was so much fun for me to forage my way through some tunnel I had just found in a random bit of rock. I've wanted to try Wind Waker since supposedly it had a very similar mechanic(along with having what I like to think is some of the best visuals I've seen), but getting ahold of a copy has proved difficult.

Also... I can understand why Majora's Mask is a favorite of some. It really did change up the formula as well as have a great story and characters... But I admit I didn't care for it myself. Mostly because I felt it was overwhelming. But that is mostly me and not the game itself.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
SmarterThanYou said:
I have never played Ocarina of Time. *braces himself*

Now that I've pissed off a great deal of Zelda fans, I have a question. Is it worth playing today? I've been a big fan of the more recent Zelda games (my first was Twilight Princess when I was 12, and I still regard that game as one of my all-time favorites), and I'm not sure if Ill get much originality from Ocarina, because so much of it has been referenced in the later games. Still, I also have a fondness for classic games, and these are games I enjoy. So, I'm wondering, should I pick it up now thats its on 3DS and I'm able to get a 3DS?

Also, to add additional discusion value; feel free to talk about your favorite Zelda game and why its your favorite. For me, it's Twilight Princess, for numerous reasons. It was my first Zelda game, and the game that opened my eyes to the potential of videogames as a storytelling medium. I absolutely love the wide-open world, the art design, and the atmosphere, and of all the Zelda games I've played, the Goron Mines are still one of my favorite dungeons.
Definitely worth playing. I played it on the 3ds which looks so much better than the orginal versions and is an exact remake, so go with the 3ds version if you can. The puzzles are all great I usually hate puzzle games (no seriously, I hate em) but I enjoyed them all. It is the only Zelda game where I haven't bothered with a walkthrough, it really is that good.

I consider myself somewhat of a Zelda veteran, as I completed most of the gameboy colour and gba games. And I really don't like the "toon link" business. I haven't played Windwaker, cos I don't own a gamecube and I think you need a game cube controller if you want to use it on the wii. To me Windwaker's art style is disproportionate, ugly and cheap. I can understand it has a sort of cute aesthetic. But I think Nintendo made it cartoony so they would not have to render everything well to make it look realistic. For me Twilight Princess is the pinnacle of Zelda syles.
Skyward swords hybrid does not appeal to me either, it does not have that annoying blur that twilight princess did, but in a way it added to the dark feel of the game.

There is no doubt though Ocarina of time is the best Zelda I have played, and definitely worth your time.

KittyKat13

Oct 20, 2011
Ocarina of Time is fun, I recommend the 3DS version because the graphics look more up-to-date with modern games.

Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game, so I recommend it if you haven't played it, but wait until they remake it because the original looks awful by today's standards, unless N64 graphics don't bother you. It's such a fun game, the only downside was that it ended too soon. I also love Link's Awakening and A Link to the Past. I love all of the games, really.