Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
ExiusXavarus said:
DustyDrB said:
First of all, they are both great games.

But I prefer Ocarina. It's a better Zelda game. I like to put it like this: Majora's Mask is strong where the series is typically weak (side quests, secondary characters) and weak where the series is typically strong (dungeons, bosses).
I'll have to disagree. Well, on part of it. I think Majora's Mask is the better Zelda game, and I prefer bosses from other games, but I generally enjoy Majora's dungeons more than the other games. That's not to say Ocarina of Time was bad, by any means, I think just MM was better. :x
I love the areas leading up to the dungeons (except the Stone Tower ascent, but Ikana Valley is great), but man I do not like the actual dungeons. Stone Tower and Great Bay Temple are my first and second least favorite dungeons in the series. Snowhead and Woodfall are just kind of boring.

I just enjoy Majora's Mask in an entirely different way than the other games in the series. I trudge through the dungeons, tolerate the bosses, but stay for the side quests.

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
As a couple other people have pointed out, as a game I think Ocarina's dungeons were just generally more fun to play through. If I go bald in the future I'm blaming Stone Tower Temple and a 3 day time limit.

On the other hand, I sort of grew up with Zelda. Ocarina was (mostly) a straightforward good and evil story, and while there are some parts that scared the kid me (Shadow temple, and of course, wall masters), mostly it was just fun.

Majora's mask took it to a much darker place. I always remember putting on the Deku mask for the first time, and Link screaming. Things like the Elegy of Emptiness meant summoning the forms of characters like Mikau, and seeing their dead eyes freaked me out. What made that worse was even as the hero, with magical time bending powers you still couldn't save everyone. At least a few characters still die on your quest, and there's not a thing you can do to save them. For fifteen year old me replaying that game that was a lot to take in, and I think Majora's Mask gets my vote for bringing something like that out.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
rollerfox88 said:
...that was probably a little too much Zelda...
Too much Zelda? YOU DARE!? Erect your dukes good sir as I decent upon your visage with my wrath!

As for the two mentioned. Both. I love the Masks and their effects, Fierce Deity Link is fun, in Majoras Mask and the overall story and nostalgia of OoT is superb.

Though I'd go for Wind Waker. It's ending is just fantastic, he drives his sword into Ganondorfs head. INTO his Head! He doesn't just up and disappear Link shoves his sword into his head. Sure the open sea is pretty empty but it still neat to explore around.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
OoT was far better. Majora's mask didn't really do it for me. Having a rescritive time machanic in any game always manages to suck the fun out.

redrefugee

Dec 8, 2010
Loved them both.

To me, OoT was the better game because of the motivation for beating Ganondorf. You got to see and and experience the beautiful world that Nintendo had created, and then got to witness the world after the villain had destroyed it.

Skull kid was evil, only because the Mask corrupted him. You almost felt sympathetic for him as the mask was the real villain. The dungeons in the game weren't as good as OoT, but the atmosphere and characters were amazing.

Sometimes I wonder if MM had been released before OoT, would my preference change. Not sure.....

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I'd have to say I like both for their greater aspects. Characters in Majora's Mask were fleshed out and actually had some more meaning to them than 1 line of dialogue for the ENTIRE GAME. That, and the world just felt big, really cool, and just overall better and more of an adventure.

But, the dungeons and bosses were much less memorable, and I can't get over only have 4 (I don't include the stuff near the end). But besides that, I just think Majora's Mask was the better made game, but lacked the things that made Ocarina of Time truly a masterpiece. Not to say Majora's Mask isn't a masterpiece, on the contrary

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Ocarina of Time wins by virtue of not having a timer. Yes, the timer in Majora's Mask is liberal to the point of being an extremist after you play the right song but I can't enjoy a game when there's a visible timer counting down to my eventual doom (or whatever else happens when you let the timer run down). Also, Ocarina of Time was a far more loyal recreation of Link to the Past so it has that working for it too and of all the Zelda games, Link to the Past was my favorite game in the series for a long while until I got a chance to play Zelda 2. Hm, I wonder when we'll get a remake of that one...

Oh, before I post I loved the Mask mechanic but wish there were more transformation masks.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
I heavily prefer OoT and not because of MM's time mechanics.

- OoT had a wonderful world filled with multiple memorable area's to visit, all giving off a different feeling, making you want to come back to these places, especially to see their state after 7 years of tyranny. The feeling of dread having engulfed all of the area's once full of life and joy was amazing to witness.
MM has its memorable area's, but aside from the main area you start in, none of these places are memorable. I can't even remember the names of most area's, while I could draw a complete map of OoT with relative ease.

- OoT has a wonderful soundtrack. From the ocarina tunes to the menacing music as you climb up the stairs of Ganon's castle, everything fits perfectly and nearly everything is unforgettable. MM has such masterpieces as well, but while its OST is larger in size and diversity, it is generally lower in quality. Most ocarina tunes are bland and most area songs are forgettable.

- OoT has fun bosses. They are a bit on the easy side, but all of them are fun to battle against. Finding Gohma for the first time, coming across phantom ganon and even battling the king of evil, all of these were very well done. MM has a collection of mostly the worst bosses in Zelda history. The first boss was laughable, the second couldn't hit you if you stayed where you are and shot arrows, the third boss is irritating due to the swimming mechanics sucking and Majora himself was the second-biggest anti-climax I've seen in a zelda game (first being the imprisoned).

- The dungeons in OoT, aside from the water temple (to an extent), were fun. Places such as the Forest Temple, due to their excellent puzzles, haunting atmosphere and unbelievable melody will never leave my mind for the rest of my life. MM's dungeons were generally mediocre. Not bad as TP or especially PH, but simply nothing special.

I could go on for hours, but I'll just stop here. MM is superior in the sidequest department, but just a little. Also, the three (fourth being limited to a single are) masks were awesome as well, but not enough to put it in first place.

Don't get me wrong, MM is an awesome game and one of the best Zelda's of all time. OoT however is a masterpiece and set the bar for the rest of the series in terms of quality. MM is just different and different doesn't automatically make it better. People talk about MM being darker as well, but darker doesn't mean better either.

Seriously though, Majora was a hilarious boss fight. I can't believe what they were thinking when they made that.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
DustyDrB said:
ExiusXavarus said:
DustyDrB said:

But I prefer Ocarina. It's a better Zelda game. I like to put it like this: Majora's Mask is strong where the series is typically weak (side quests, secondary characters) and weak where the series is typically strong (dungeons, bosses).
I'll have to disagree. Well, on part of it. I think Majora's Mask is the better Zelda game, and I prefer bosses from other games, but I generally enjoy Majora's dungeons more than the other games. That's not to say Ocarina of Time was bad, by any means, I think just MM was better. :x
I love the areas leading up to the dungeons (except the Stone Tower ascent, but Ikana Valley is great), but man I do not like the actual dungeons. Stone Tower and Great Bay Temple are my first and second least favorite dungeons in the series. Snowhead and Woodfall are just kind of boring.

I just enjoy Majora's Mask in an entirely different way than the other games in the series. I trudge through the dungeons, tolerate the bosses, but stay for the side quests.
And now we've an agreement! The areas leading to the dungeons were brilliant. I can't say Stone Tower bothered me much, except for the whole turning upside down thing. And I'll have to admit I didn't like Great Bay Temple. That place was just overall awful. Though, to be perfectly honest, I'll still take it over OoT's Forest Temple. That place is my least favorite of the series. :{ Right up next to that recurring dungeon in Phantom Hourglass I can't remember the name of.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
This is definitely a hard one, I honestly can't really say.

While OoT managed to be one of the most groundbreaking and innovative games of all time (the targeting mechanic and autojump were brilliant and have been seen in so many action-adventure games since), Majora's Mask dared to try something a little different, and for me, at least, it worked spectacularly well.

While most Zelda games focus more on the main game, MM was all about the sidequests and characters, which usually get put aside for the massive dungeons to explore. Not only that, the mask system was really well-implemented, and while only a few of the ones obtained outside the main quest were really useful (thank the Goddesses for the Bunny Hood and the Stone Mask), it was a very interesting idea that worked really well. And the transformation masks were also really fun to use wen you needed them, so that's a plus. Plus, unlike most other Zelda games, Majora's Mask can be pretty freakin' scary, and I certainly don't think that's a bad thing for a game to be.

So, in the end, I really can't decide which is better. OoT had the most lasting impact, sure, but MM wasn't really worse, just a bit different. Some people might not like it as much because of how different it is, but it's still an amazing game.

One clear advantage I can think of, though, is that your fairy doesn't shout "HEY!" in your ear every time you spend too long not doing something the game wants you do do. She just rings a little bell.

DrStupid87

Mar 17, 2011
Ocarina of time. Timeless and I'm currently fighting through the 3ds version again as if its my first playthrough and it's glorious.

Majoras mask was brilliantly dark and twisted but I felt if I kept looking at the moon I would go insane.
Majoras mask does however have one thing OOT does not....The fierce deity mask.
Dear god it was a pain to get, but soooo worth it.

imagremlin

Nov 19, 2007
MM is my favourite Zelda game.

Yes, it does feel weird at first, in that "what the **** is going on here" kind of way, but that is a big part of its appeal, getting into the weirdness.

The atmosphere is superb, the sad, haunting music of the final hours of the last day as you walk through the almost deserted town, is one of gaming most brilliant moments in my eyes.

Silent_Protagonist

Jul 6, 2011
Majora's Mask all the way.

The game terrified and mystified me as a child and still remains the most cherished game of my childhood. The dungeons were unique and challenging, the bosses were difficult and also very unique themselves (GHOT anyone?). The depth of the NPC's was outstanding; you actually felt compelled to help them because they were troubled, not just because you wanted a random item or something.
Yea, the time mechanic was really weird, but once you understood it, it gave you more reason purpose to help all that you could in a small amount of time. You didn't have forever to do something, if you didn't act fast, you'd miss the opportunity. To me it added a slight depth to realism.
The game can also be dissected to find themes about growing up, friendship and moving on. Link is scarred without Navi and doesn't know if he can live without a trusty companion. "Believe in your strengths" is one of the main themes taught by the Happy Mask Salesman. Skull Kid learning about trust and friendship from the giants and not taking people for granted. There are vast ways of looking at the over-encompassing themes.
Lastly it accomplished what a sequel is meant to do, improve on the original. Which in my opinion it did. Yes, there are flaws with the game, no game is perfect, but it did so much right, THAT'S why it is the better of the two.

Random Fact: I was one of the kids who thought Link was Zelda because the first two Zelda games I had as a kid were Majora's Mask and Links Awakening. Both don't have Zelda as a main focus :p

TL;DR Majora's Mask is better. :D

dragonsshunter

Dec 22, 2011
Majora's mask, mostly due to the fact i love the dark dreary atmosphere of it. Also, i adore the insane Mask shop guy, its hilarious to watch hi strangle link.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Majora's Mask for me was a vast improvement on everything Ocarina of Time did right, whilst also refining it's weaknesses.

The only substantial criticism I have of Majora's Mask being as it only really has three dungeons (once you brush the tutorial dungeon under the carpet) it is over far too quickly.

However, the preludes to the dungeoneering being more fleshed out and the world actually being full of emotion outweigh that small niggle to the point of it not mattering.

I eagerly anticipate the 3DS re-release.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
Majora's Mask for me! It was so creative, so bizarre, and so deep (by the end of the game I felt I knew in a rather deep fashion all of Clock Town's citizens thanks to that notebook). Also, I didn't realize it as a child, but now as an adult I can see it: that game is trippy!

From it's beautiful and unique plot, which was much darker than most Zelda's by the way, to it's slightly better graphics and amped up dungeon designs Majora's Mask remains possibly my favorite Zelda game (though damn if Wind Waker and A Link to the Past don't make me question that constantly).

Still, with all that said OoT is the game that got me started on the series (I did play a little of the original on my old NES, but never beat it as I was really too young for anything other than fighters back then), so it still has a very high degree of respect from me.

Invadergray

Oct 17, 2011
It's an odd comparison, like comparing the world's best chocolate cake to the world's best lollipop. OoT (the cake in this bad metaphor) was a fuller, deeper experience with gameplay so jaw-droppingly astounding for the time. BUT Majora's Mask was perfect for what it was attempting to do. MM was a side-quest oriented adventure game with rpg elements. It focused on story and character development which was new for a Zelda game (except arguably with Link's Awakening). The time travel concept, the zoning of side quests based on the choices you made, the form changing, these were all brilliant ideas that the game executed perfectly. I don't think it was ever intended to be held in comparison to OoT despite being a direct sequel. Namely because the gameplay is so radically different and a game so based around the little things can't and shouldn't compete with the depth OoT had. Gun to my head, I pick Ocarina because the puzzles were more intuitive, the dungeons better designed, the boss fights were more challenging and clever, and it had more of a feel of an epic fantasy quest. They're both great games though, it just depends on your preferences.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
DustyDrB said:

...and, if we were to combine the two together, we would truly have the perfect game.

OT: Majora's Mask, in personal opinion, was and still is a far superior game to Ocarina of Time.

It remains to this day as one of my favorite games.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
So, I got myself Ocarina of Time 3D like the good little Nintendo whore that I am and I just couldn't get into the groove of this. Yeah, it was still quite groovypants, it looked nicer than ever and the nostalgia was busy pumping dopamine into my brains, it felt... bland.

It was then that I decided to get out my N64, blew the dust out of the cartrigde (HOLY CRAP OLD-SKOOL) and replayed Majora's Mask. Dang, I remember it scaring the crap out of me but I didn't remember it being so creepy and disturbing on various levels. For the love of god, you are impersonating dead people half of the game. The whole "apocalypse in three..." ordeal gave a beautifully oppressive feeling. The side characters are suffering from true tragedies and the end up deeply disturbed or downright broken because of them (Crazy girl Romani if you fail to save her cows anyone?) And with every rewind you let people down and people die. Yeah, for you the mistakes are gone but you carry them with you, knowing that you failed who knows how many times.

Also, you're stealing from the bank guy who writes on you how much money you saved but in the actual timeline you never give him even a single rupee. (but he's an hyperactive idiot so that's okay)

Yeah, I admit it. MM recycles to a degree it's almost shameless. The fact that Link now flips sometimes in his autojumps can't hide that. And yeah, maybe Termina wasn't as epic and grand as Hyrule's map (though in my opinion it was bloated and empty). However, in return we got a game with an incredibly compelling story with a few twists and turns (for a Zelda game anyway) and a shitton of actual characters instead of cardboard cutouts and the best thing of all: No Zelda 8D
Sure, OoT might be more "epic" but it feels straight-forward and bland and personally, I'd take compelling over epic anyday.

To be honest, they could've reused the TP engine entirely if it meant a game as exciting and compelling as MM. Frankly, they could do it now with SS. I <3 colourful, which is WW still is my favourite Zelda game.