Oculus Thrift

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
Well.. probably closer to a thousand dollars with tax, shipping and customs included, if you happen to live in Europe.

Not an impossible price to pay for a good (gaming) monitor, with stereo 3d and headtracking and stuff.. But it's not a monitor most people would use to browse the net, so it's a separate expense.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Pff.
That's a luxury double ply cardboard box she has there AND a power outlet.
Plus there's proximity to a restaurant offering an outdoor dining experience.
Woman must have ducats to spare.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
I still can't shake the feeling that this is going to be another of those fly-by-night gimmicks that fades into obscurity not long after launch. Like 3D TV.

At least I *hope*, selfishly, that it doesn't take off in a big way. I get terrible motion sickness, and I also have unbalanced focussing/vision between my eyes. If this takes off in a big way, I'm going to be left behind.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
IceForce said:
I still can't shake the feeling that this is going to be another of those fly-by-night gimmicks that fades into obscurity not long after launch. Like 3D TV.

At least I *hope*, selfishly, that it doesn't take off in a big way. I get terrible motion sickness, and I also have unbalanced focussing/vision between my eyes. If this takes off in a big way, I'm going to be left behind.
Unlike 3D TV I think there's a (small) market of hardcore gamers that will embrace 3D gaming. Where the 3D TV is mostly impractical and doesn't add that much to your viewing experience (it is nothing like going to a cinema and watching 3D movie), the Rift provides a very different experience from traditional 2D gaming. It is not an experience for everyone and many will be put off by the price tag, but there are almost certainly those that will think it "is the only way" to game.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
IceForce said:

I think it's more likely to cater to a niche but dedicated audience, like steering wheel controllers do.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
09philj said:
IceForce said:

I think it's more likely to cater to a niche but dedicated audience, like steering wheel controllers do.
I agree with this assessment 100%. Some people still love their flight sticks for flight sims and their wheels for racing games. This thing is perfect for those horror games that always get a million Youtube views so naturally all the big Youtubers are going to be showing this thing off as well, they's a very valuable bit of exposure those other peripherals don't get.

It may not take the world like FB probably wanted it to but it won't fade into the night.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Hey Grey, if Erin has ducats to spare I have some caravels to sell her ifyouknowwhatimean.
(I mean I just hit diplo tech 15 and I don't have AoW)

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
09philj said:
I think this is likely the most accurate take. I'd say more, but I'm saving it for the podcast this week.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Sol_HSA said:
Well.. probably closer to a thousand dollars with tax, shipping and customs included, if you happen to live in Europe.

Not an impossible price to pay for a good (gaming) monitor, with stereo 3d and headtracking and stuff.. But it's not a monitor most people would use to browse the net, so it's a separate expense.
Actually the tax are included in the EU and UK price.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
That last panel reminds me a little of Ready Player One 1; Wade, early in the story, isolated and escaping from reality in his crappy trailer stack.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
09philj said:
This is likely true to an extent, but there is an additional appeal, at least to me.

While I've seen jokes in the context of "the device is worthless if all people can do is watch netflix on it", that isn't entirely accurate. Personally, VR games is of a limited appeal and questionable potential outside of on-rails or sitting (driving/cockpit based) games.

But, virtual desktops. If I could have a headset to create and control a virtual environment unhindered by the requirement of owning and positioning multiple physical monitors around a desk. Replacing the traditional monitor experience (not to mention the theater experience for home movie watching) is a very real, practical, consistent and widespread use case that exists already. That's a market already available and depends only on the creation of at least a single quality piece of software to offer it (Virtual Desktop already exists and looks promising).

Beyond that, it's just a matter of some marketing to raise public awareness of such a thing and then we've got an open ended demand for ever improving iterations of VR devices and higher resolutions.

I doubt any of that will take place on a significant scale with the Oculus, but I don't see VR (or AR) fading into a minor niche role. For games, maybe, but what we're also seeing is the potential for a transition from 2D to 3D in our operating systems and general software.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I agree with those saying that this'll be a a niche gimmick that doesn't really go mainstream...the price-point certainly doesn't help things.

Though I do believe it'll go the way of the Kinect and (most likely) Holo-Lens: end up being adopted by non-gaming industries and used for more "real world" applications.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
kajinking said:
This thing is perfect for those horror games that always get a million Youtube views
I don't know how you can say that, since this covers half the user's face and that's 90% of what makes those channels popular. ;)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
IceForce said:

Heck I prefer 3DTVs than this. Infact I wish these people make glasses free 3D devices like Nintendo's 3DS. Imagine that system for a TV.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Getting some Playstation 3 vibes over here... definatly.

Plus the bloody thing has allmost no developers developing for it since the industry is so scared of dipping their toes into new territories.