Odd Selling Points

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Me? Well, back in the early 2000's I had been going on a survival horror binge. I had just finished Silent Hill 3, Fatal Frame 2, and Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, and Siren wasn't slated to be released until the next year. I had seen reviews and the like pop up on the net about Clocktower 3, but I was hesitant to buy it due to being disappointed with its earlier installments when it was still a point-and-click adventure series. Then I saw an AMV (hah, remember when those were popular?) featuring scenes from it set to Symphony X's King of Terrors, and it sold me.

Seems youtube took down the video, if you're still interested in checking it out you'll have to look here [http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=93151].

Edit:

direkiller said:
EvE online-one of the games selling points printed on there website was
Train skills even when you don't pay for the game
up until about a year ago
This may just be sleep deprivation kicking in, but your avatar creeps me the f*ck out. When I stare at it for a few seconds it seems like it's... moving.

Lectori Salutem

Apr 11, 2011
dogstile said:
http://scpcb.wordpress.com/ This wonderful game right here, while it costs nothing, I wasn't going to play.

Then I realised it had a blink meter. A fucking blink meter. God damn, worth it.
Yay for another SCP game :D

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Disgaea's no damage cap, besides the fact it takes so much grinding to get to it. If that didn't already sell me on the first few 4's trailer would have. With lines like "take a dump of the face of common sense" and "it promises to make your manliest fantasy come true" it sounds like it's the kind of game I would love.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
ElPatron said:
Realism is usually a good selling point for me.

Squidbulb said:
Painkiller. Shurikens and lightning, anyone?
There are only two things that could make this better...

Gorilla Gunk said:
If a game has a certain gun I might consider getting it.

I know, pathetic.
What is the gun, if I may ask?
Well it's really lots of different guns.

I like shooting games that have a wide variety of weapons to choose from. If all you have is AK's and M16's then I might think twice. Those guns are boring and overdone.

Specifically though, if a game has an AA-12 or a FAMAS FELIN, well I wouldn't buy a game just because it had those but it would definitely be a point in it's favor.

werty10089

Aug 14, 2011
Fallout: New Vegas.
Honestly, I wasn't really on the fence with this one. I was buying it from the get-go.
Although two things really solidified my purchase.

1- Robotic Prostitute
2- Grenade Machine-Gun

Rakun Man

Oct 18, 2009
I bought Eternal Sonata solely because of Chopin.
It is the only JRPG I own.
And you know what? It was worth it.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I was watching a video of Catherine before it came out, and one of the things I saw was a talking sheep with a neck tie.

I remember think that that was one of the most absurd things I've ever seen and that I must have it.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Katamari Damacy, the entire game is an odd selling point.

On another note, my friend who had no intention on buying Duke Nukem Forever bought the game for the sole purpose of being able to write on a whiteboard.

Zayle79

Oct 6, 2011
I wanted to try a Tales game since I really liked Star Ocean 3 and the two series seem to be twins. I took a look at the different games in the series, and I found out that Vesperia has a pipe-smoking dog as a party member. That made the decision for me pretty much instantly.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
theonlyblaze2 said:
If it has the words "Suda 51" on it, they have my money.
Then look no further:

I decided that my first Suda51 game should be as awesome as possible.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Gorilla Gunk said:
If all you have is AK's and M16's then I might think twice.
The problem is that we always put the same sides fighting in games.

Russian soldiers sporting Steyr AUGs just for the sake of variety is a huge letdown.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Daymo said:
This about games you were on the fence about buying but a an odd thing pushed you over the line to buy it.

For me it was civ 4, the series had always interested me and I saw it in a store for $25 a few years back, I was going to just leave it but read the back and found it was narrated by Lenoard Nimoy, this was the last little bit I need to decide I was going to buy it. I ended up loving the game and wonder why I had to have that sell it for me.
I discovered the narration after buying it. Bought Civ 4 complete for $6 when it was really on sale. I was disappointed when the expansions weren't narrated by Nimoy, but the gameplay was excellent enough to overcome that.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
distortedreality said:
The Witcher - have sex with everything with a vagina, collect cards that signify your conquests.

I bought it for the gameplay and story though. Promise.
I was so sad to see the feature missing in the sequel...

I decided on Morrowind for the XBOX after I read the box and it said RPG and XBOX on the same line.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
The Hat system in Squids. I like games where you can customize your character, but I like games even more where you can wear whatever you like and still be powerful.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Breast physics (Ninja Gaiden, Dead or alive...) never got my money.

"Hell finally froze over", a muscular blonde and 14 years development got my money. It was nice ,nothing special (...mmmh, sounds quite dirty).