Oddworld Creator Wants to Make More Games

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Oddworld Creator Wants to Make More Games

He's been out of the game industry for a while, but Lorne Lanning wants to return to it. Though he's not sure when that'll be nor what he'll make.

It's been six years since Lorne Lanning was last involved with a videogame. Admittedly, he left the industry on a pretty high note back in 2005, having produced the critically-acclaimed <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger%27s_Wrath#Reception>Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. However, even though he closed his game development studio so he could work on TV and film projects, it turns out that Lanning constantly thinks about getting back into the game industry.

While Lanning <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109684-Oddworld-Franchise-to-Stink-Up-Real-Time-Strategy>recently teamed up with Just Add Water to work on new Oddworld projects, the man is actually considering totally original projects on a constant basis. Speaking to Eurogamer recently, Lanning explained what he's been looking at doing:

"We're looking at this all the time.

"They way I'm looking now is, how do I turn YouTube and Facebook into one game? That's the game-ified thing I'm focused on right now. If we figure that out, and I think we have, then it's a game changer.

"If we're successful with that, which is the intent, then we'll have the money to finance and go back to the Oddworld we all know and love."

Lanning made a point of explaining that he's been reluctant to do more with the Oddworld intellectual property because he doesn't want to give up control of rights to the franchise. He also wanted to reassure Odworld fans that there's still more Oddworld projects being planned.

"Am I going to make something again?" he explained. "Absolutely. The question is in what format, and what does that look like, and in what genre? That I'm not sure about."

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-20-will-oddworld-creator-make-another-game>Eurogamer

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
I'm ready to welcome him back. I've missed that completely bonkers but brilliant spark the Oddworld games had. Just wished that he was re-making the Abe games for Xbox 360 as well as PS3. ([sub]I mean wasnt Abe's Oddessy and Exodus on PC as well? Favouritism or what?[/sub])

Ashkorne

May 21, 2011
I have nothing but admiration for Lorne and his team, so his re-entry to gaming is very good news indeed!

His interviews in the documentary Moral Kombat show a thoughtful and interesting personality, and so I'm intrigued to see what he can come up with in the future. Does that mean no Oddword movie though?

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Good because I want him to make more games, even if they aren't Oddworld games (though I certainly am looking forward to more of those!). I'm sure I'll love them.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
He's a strange guy. I like strange guys. I have this strange feeling that this man could become a new Tim Shager (funky ideas, great games), though he hasn't made any games of that caliber yet.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
I have very fond memories of plodding around as Abe from my youth. I welcome you back Mr. Lanning!

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
I liked the oddworld games but never really got into them kinda hard (hey I was young) wish I still had them.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
rickthetrick said:
Faith in mankind +1

I loved the oddworld games......well Abe more than stranger.
Make that +2.
This, and the hum surrounding it I've picked up around the internets, has been some of the best news I've heard in ages.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
The gaming world would be better for it. We have to few of these quirky idea people as it is. I would love to see more games from him.

Lenriak

Apr 15, 2009
They damn well should, I wanna see a game in every single genre given the awesome Oddworld treatment :D

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
Am I wrong or was every single Oddworld game released, after the original, worse than the last?
When people say "I love Oddworld!" I think their mostly referring to Abe and escaping Rupture Farms, not a one-footed fish creature, or a mentally challenged Clint Eastwood impersonating cat.

The best thing for the Oddworld IP would be the old reboot, get back to a unique character, in a weird world using Price of Persia navigation. Games like PoP, Out of this World, Blackthorne and Oddworld 1&2 are all considered classic, and basically the only real example of that type of 2D-platformer-adventure-puzzle-whatever...unless we're counting Lester the Unlikely.

Sarynroth

Oct 8, 2010
Yay this is great news, I enjoyed playing all the oddworld games even though I only completed strangers wrath due to being too young to be any good at the others.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
"How do I turn Youtube and Facebook into one game?"

Did anyone else read that and have to resist the urge to open your wrists with the nearest ink pen?