Official Discussion about the new Forum Rules

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Trolldor said:
You know, I could just cite the fact I'm a published author, but that doesn't matter.
I could refer to the fact that I've been taking a University Course that would qualify me as a High School English teacher, and am now doing a Journalism course. But I won't.
Instead, I'll simply refer to this video from Stephen Fry:

The English language is more than a string words, it is the sum of its ideas.
You are not some single, omnipotent arbiter of the language.
Nor are the mods, either individually or collectively.
As a former forum moderator I know well how it operates.
You should not be making decisions on what qualifies as a worth while post. The decisions not only become inconsistent, they become arbitrary.
A simple 'spam' rule, removing any bot plugs or posts irrelevant to the conversation (also called Off-topic) is enough, but if they are still in line with the forum topic then that post qualifies as 'worth while'.
If they agree with another poster, why can't they let them know they agree? What if they have nothing to add but want to make their support known publically? It can mean a lot to that original poster that someone else shares his point of view, such posts would be worth while to him.
Or does his opinion on posts made to him not count? Is it, of course, someone else uninvolved in the exchange who should be placing value on what passes the accept-o-meter?
1) You're claim of a degree doesn't help you much anywhere on the internet. Why, I have 2 Bachelors, one in Physics and the other in Chemistry, 1 Associates degree in Civil Engineering and a Masters in History.

See what I did there? Your claims don't go far on the internet. Especially if you don't back them up. Even then, so? Does your master degree automatically makes you the winner of the argument? Does it automatically mean I lose any right to hold my opinion? No, it doesn't. Your degree is nothing more then proof that you spent 5 years at a post-secondary school.

2) You're right, and simply saying "True" or "This" expresses that your opinion is EXACTLY the same as the one above you. And if it is the exact same, why did you bother posting to begin with? Your opinion has been stated. You add nothing to the argument for either side and all your post will do is take up server space (This itself is a key reason as to why we don't allow them. If you're not gonna add anything, why should the Escapist have to pay the bills to keep your post up there?), posting space and time. The post expresses no opinion from a person who had just come into the conversation, it just gives the opinion of someone else and passing it off as your own. And since you happen to have spent 5 years at a school learning English, what do you call someone who takes the writing of another person and passes them off as their own? That's right, Plagiarists. All low-content posts do is say "Stop reading stuff from me and start reading start from him." Your opinion becomes worthless becomes worthless because you refuse to express it yourself.

And also, the quotes do not. Trust me, I experienced my handfull of "This" quotes over the years here and they're nothing more then a nuisance. My self-esteem doesn't jump fifty feet in the air just because someone on the internet agrees with me. If anything, I hold the quotes I get from people who disagree with me far higher then the ones who agree with me. Mainly because the ones who disagree with me offer me a chance to defend my opinion. It gives me the chance to experience the argument from different view points and lets me look at where I stand and contemplate. It makes me think! Your low-content posts certainly don't do that.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Nothing in your post was valuable or added content to the discussion. The mods ought to remove it.

Why does it have no value? because I say it doesn't, and as we all know personal perception equals objective fact.

Varchld

is drunk and disorderly.
Nov 8, 2008
Trolldor said:
Nothing in your post was valuable or added content to the discussion. The mods ought to remove it.

Why does it have no value? because I say it doesn't, and as we all know personal perception equals objective fact.
It's not so much no value, but if you're in a conversation with just half a dozen people, and four of them were sitting there just saying "yep" "ahuh" "true" "this" then not only does it interrupt and dilute any conversation actually happening but those people may as well not be there since they're not actually saying anything at all.
Change that to a couple of thousand and you have an average forum thread view count.

If you're going to say something, then say something proper. Pay the other users the same respect they're paying you by actually typing out a proper response.

Varchld

is drunk and disorderly.
Nov 8, 2008
Swollen Goat said:
I understand that, but I wonder your opinion on picture posts. Obviously, if it's just a reaction pic or a 'LOL U MAD?', that's no good. There's some that are .jpg's of quotes or posts from other forums or what have you-granted it may not be our users' own thoughts, but if its content is something that is relevant and not previously said can that not be considering a valuable contribution? Like for example, the Scary Thread. If I had a scary picture (and maaaaaaaaybe I do <_<) and it doesn't need context to be scary, wouldn't that be worthy?
There have been threads about "post your *** youtube video" ranging from different music genres, funny videos and others that I can't really remember right now. I think there's been a scary/creepy picture thread, a post a picture of you thread, a demotivational thread (which always ends up getting bad) and others.
In these instances it's always nice to say why you chose that one to post or just something about it but the context of the thread generally lets them simply post a relevant picture or something. I personally think it's a bit of a copout to not say anything in the same post but it's not something I consider needing attention.

The more complicated situation of someone posting a picture in a more standard thread is sometimes a matter of presentation.
This post:http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.259934.9811525
It has a picture and barely any text, but it responds to the opening post well, it elaborates at least a little on why they are answering like this, it even gives something of interest to the thread. I think this is a fine post, others may not.
If they just posted the picture without the sixteen words, then would it have any of those properties? I don't think so, but again, others may.

This post: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.259904.9809889
The image isn't relevant to what the poster is saying, but it's spoilered and even if it's not the greatest statement it is out of the way and not entirely irrelevant.

This last one:

on a serious note, shit must have taken forever.... man I wish I had that much free time dedication

edit: btw, that Blastoise chick looks like a Gundam
The image is simply the unintelligent repetition of a meme which reduces it's worth in any discussion, the post's text is however good for the topic.
If they were asked in a warning to please avoid posting images of this manner as they don't contribute anything other than crude distraction than I may not see it as unreasonable. It's not a punishment of any sort, it's just a private word which even if he posts the same thing again isn't likely to really raise an issue unless he spams it half a dozen times, which they have in other forms such as this
Yes, that's the entire content of his post without the quotation of someone else.
But because of the warning it's been recorded that he's done it before.

So in my eye there are certain criteria which don't really fit on a kind of written list because there is a lot of context which needs to be interpreted as well as the intention of the poster and different ways which other users will read into the post.

Claymorez

Our King
Apr 20, 2009
I have submitted an assistance breakdown of the rules guide to Kulinai for review by The Escapist Head Honchos! So stay tuned!

Claymorez

Our King
Apr 20, 2009
Swollen Goat said:
Claymorez said:
I have submitted an assistance breakdown of the rules guide to Kulinai for review by The Escapist Head Honchos! So stay tuned!
Awesome! When did you become king? My liege!
Since the opening of Oblivion? (You get the reference I trust? :p)

Retosa

Jul 10, 2010
Edit: I have no problem with the forum rules, and I was mistaken with regards to the problem I mentioned.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Whats up with some threads [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.263225-Escapists-Without-An-Avatar] being locked [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.263233-V] for no apparent reason? I saw they were locked and figured there must be massive trolling and flaming, but it was just overall mundane conversation.

maddawg IAJI

Feb 12, 2009
DustyDrB said:
Whats up with some threads [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.263225-Escapists-Without-An-Avatar] being locked [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.263233-V] for no apparent reason? I saw they were locked and figured there must be massive trolling and flaming, but it was just overall mundane conversation.
In the case of the former, its just basic discrimination against users without avatars. The OP immediately believes that all users without an avatar cannot have valid points and even believes that they intend to troll every thread they take place in. It doesn't take a genius to point out the flaws in discriminating a person based on one minor detail.

The Latter is just asking for people to spam words they know. Its like a bad picture thread.

maddawg IAJI

Feb 12, 2009
Swollen Goat said:
Well, I tried doing it the 'proper' way but not-so-shockingly I've gotten no response so we'll do it publicly then. Don't like Escapists airing their griefs in public? Take care of 'em when they bring 'em up in private. Y'know, like the site says you will. I can only assume that the mod who gave me my warning and refuses to respond is a fucking coward who cannot back up his/her decision. Would that mod like to prove me wrong, or do I go to the next step? Now see, if you pay attention to the CONTENT of that sentence (and I damn sure expect you to, since this site is expert when it comes to post content-just ask 'em) you'll see I've not broken the rule of "Don't be a jerk" because I haven't called anybody anything. I've only stated that I believe this person to not be any good at their job, not that this is the case in fact. Though, without evidence to the contrary I might just have to stick with my initial assessment. Your move.
Allow me to direct you to a place where the Moderators will most likely see your post,

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Moderation-Team

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I'm just trying to show you to the proper place to complain about forum moderation. You're more likely to get an answer here (Considering every moderator is a member of the group) then from a random post on this thread.

maddawg IAJI

Feb 12, 2009
Swollen Goat said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Allow me to direct you to a place where the Moderators will most likely see your post,

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Moderation-Team

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I'm just trying to show you to the proper place to complain about forum moderation. You're more likely to get an answer here (Considering every moderator is a member of the group) then from a random post on this thread.
I appreciate the link, my friend. But I specifically posted here because I tried the PM reply system specifically set up for this, and AGAIN I get nothing. So I post in this thread because it's public and kinda hard for them to lock. If the Escapist feels no need to play within its own system, I most certainly do not.
Well when did you get your warning, given how the majority of moderators are either asleep or at work at the moment, maybe they're not on quite just yet. And this is just tempting them to punish you. Flame baiting is a tad jerkish.

maddawg IAJI

Feb 12, 2009
Swollen Goat said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Well when did you get your warning, given how the majority of moderators are either asleep or at work at the moment, maybe they're not on quite just yet. And this is just tempting them to punish you. Flame baiting is a very jerkish.
Friday. I think that's plenty of time. And I'm fully aware of what I'm doing. I'm treating the Escapist with the same respect I see it give the forum. I wasn't very nice in my PM query either, and I'm sure that'll be their excuse for not replying. Don't care. Perhaps if I didn't feel disrespected the tone would be better. So is this jerkish? Maybe. But it's the only way I know to even attempt to make people accountable for their actions here: bring it to the public. I am not going to let the 'pist treat me like an idiot child and ignore me when I complain.

I almost feel bad, but I'd feel worse keeping my mouth shut.

So you're on a soapbox and preaching in a thread instead of going to a group that is comprised of staff members, Red guards and other users? Tell me now, which would be more productive? Talking to a staff member who receive all tickets from users, or sitting here and venting in a thread that I only look at anymore? You might as well keep your mouth shut if you choose the latter.