Official Says GTA V District Could Ruin Reputation of Real Town

Dante dynamite

Mar 19, 2012
This reminds me of a the time a town called Batman (no seriously its in Turkey) wanted to sue Christopher Nolan
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2008/11/turkish-town-batman-sues-christopher-nolan.html

CrimsonBlack

Mar 10, 2011
Tallim said:
PlasmaCow said:
I live in Scotland, have done all my life and I could not possibly have even told you that Hawick existed nevermind where it was. Also, it most certainly isn't a city as the 2nd paragraph of the article said.
I live in Edinburgh and I had no idea it existed either :/
Ditto. Haw-where?

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Have these townspeople ever come to think that this is a FICTIONAL REPRESENTATION of a fictional city in a game? I see what this cannot do to the Scottish town. Just laugh it off and go about your day, Mayor of Hawick.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
I think the English should be more outraged about New England besmirching their good name. Honestly, who wants to be associated with a bunch of sweater-clad yuppies?

Realmikebob

Apr 28, 2011
Being from Hawick I can assure you that dilapidated and drug addicts are definitely words that come to mind when thinking of the place.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't care. I'm not an idiot who thinks that a fictional place in a game is an accurate representation of a real place that's not even in the same country as the fictional place.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I've never heard of the place and never knew it was real until now.
I guess we're just not allowed to use the real names of places anymore. Everything should be "ZKjsvduw89ef2384t$sville" so no one is offended ever.

Davih

May 7, 2011
I live in Scotland and I've never heard of Hawick until this, so technically its improved its reputation hasn't it?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Damnit. According to popular media Hawick was the last place I could go for a quiet holiday, after South England was lost to all those Rage virus zombies, that Cloverfield monster sacked New York, Cardiff being invaded by rubbery aliens every other week, San Francisco was attacked by that nerve gas from Alcatraz, the whole of Australia turned into a post apocalyptic wasteland, Italy got covered in poisonous Tiberium pollution from that asteroid, those Antartic research bases are just lousy with shapeshifting aliens, and Sleepy Hollow's still got a skull filled tree in it that leads straight to Hell.

I always loved my little stays in peaceful Hawick, but as I've now been reliably informed by this videogame that there was a place called Hawick in a completely fictional world and it had social issues, I shall never return in case I catch the Hipster virus.

spwatkins

Nov 11, 2009
I can't comment specifically on Hawick, but based on my copious research of Danny Boyle films (specifically Shallow Grave and Trainspotting), I know that Scotland is a place as morally bankrupt, hyperviolent, and drug addled as anything depicted in GTA.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
JonB said:
I think the English should be more outraged about New England besmirching their good name. Honestly, who wants to be associated with a bunch of sweater-clad yuppies?
We begrudgingly accept that we don't have Clam Chowder. It's give and take, give and take.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
Michael Epstein said:
"I, like many other Hawick residents, was shocked to hear that the name of the town had been used in Grand Theft Auto V," said Lamont, drawing heavily on his huge, lit joint; and twirling his 9mm pistol.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
if anything, it will bring more tourists. who wouldnt want to visit a place they drove around in GTA?
also i never heard of this town before. now i did. thanks to GTA 5. so your wrong mr city official.

Also you know there is a town called "Hell" in Norway. do we give it a bad name every time we go to hell in games?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Strazdas said:
if anything, it will bring more tourists. who wouldnt want to visit a place they drove around in GTA?
also i never heard of this town before. now i did. thanks to GTA 5. so your wrong mr city official.

Also you know there is a town called "Hell" in Norway. do we give it a bad name every time we go to hell in games?
Same here, although the fact the place has shown that their a bunch of dicks has probably removed any chance I would visit, so their acts rather than Rockstar has done the damage. Funny since they could have capitalized on it.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
"I've been to Hawick but I've never been to Scunthorpe."

While I personally blame the GTA series for quite a lot of real life misery, I really fail to see how GTA5 could further besmirch the reputation of a town in the country that invented both deep fried pizza and brews the highest ABV beer in the world. Brewmeister Armageddon at a whopping 65% if you were curious. And I won't even touch on issues such as the poverty divide, the rampant heroin and alcohol addiction, or the life expectancy discrepancy when compared to neighboring countries.

In fact I feel the "druggie hipster vibe" could be seen as a step up.

DoveAlexa

Oct 28, 2009
They only started this controversy because some of them are moral guardian lunatics, some of them just want to jump on a popular bandwagon (hating GTA5) and the rest are using the non-issue to CREATE more tourism interest.

Though collectively, all of them are idiots. Probably histrionic too.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Halyah said:
Strazdas said:

That town is rather amusing given that it has nothing to do what so ever with the english word "Hell". It's norwegian for luck while "Helvete" is what we call "Hell". *chuckles*

Makes for fun scenarios if one ever has a foreign friend over for a visit. Can take them to the worlds end(look it up, we have a place named that) or to hell.
I know it has nothing to do with actual hell, merely stabbing at the stupidity of teh argument of "our town is named like that you give us bad image"

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Dante dynamite said:
This reminds me of a the time a town called Batman (no seriously its in Turkey) wanted to sue Christopher Nolan
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2008/11/turkish-town-batman-sues-christopher-nolan.html
According to wikipedia, the town was renamed into Batman in 1957. With the character Batman appearing as early as 1939, I'm pretty sure they don't really have much of a case. Not that they would anyway.