Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Can't really comment on it. But on YouTube it was a lot of Yahtzee's older fans celebrating Bob leaving and posting some really hateful shit, and then Bob's fans turning around and pointing how awful "we" are because of those comments, and then telling us how the writing is on the wall for The Escapist and all that bullshit. It's quieted down now, was just a lot to go through in 48 hours.
I liked some of bobs stuff, especially when he talks about some of those wierd and obscure movies(like when Japan tried to make their own fantasia) but I'm not going to cry now that he's gone. For what it's worth, I've been coming to the Escapist since Unskippable was running and Miracle of Sound was posting his videos here.

I haven't actually listened to the podcast due to the hour + length of it and at this point I'm not sure I will.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Why go through it at all? Couldn't the Youtube and Twitter peanut galleries just be ignored?
It got to a point where if I didn't come out against it, people would use it as ammo later to paint everyone here as "right wing" again and all that garbage. I've spent a lot of time communicating with the YouTube community and keeping it moderated where I can and people have really noticed and come to appreciate it. It helps our new content creators grow as well because the comment sections don't get flooded with people that "only care about ZP" etc.

Twitter I can't do anything about so I did ignore that, but having spent the last year of my life working very hard to create a fresh image for the brand, there was no way I was gonna not step in and do something there. Which reminds me that a certain community manager tried to paint everyone here, including my staff as GG again recently lol, so it never ends.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I liked some of bobs stuff, especially when he talks about some of those wierd and obscure movies(like when Japan tried to make their own fantasia) but I'm not going to cry now that he's gone. For what it's worth, I've been coming to the Escapist since Unskippable was running and Miracle of Sound was posting his videos here.

I haven't actually listened to the podcast due to the hour + length of it and at this point I'm not sure I will.
Well, if you want some new movie and TV coverage, we recently made Darren's In The Frame column as a video series. Love his stuff, I'd recommend checking it out.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Hey Nick, I have a small question:

Has Bob answered any questions for Ask the Creators this month, or will he not participate? I recall asking him at least one question for this month.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Hey Nick, I have a small question:

Has Bob answered any questions for Ask the Creators this month, or will he not participate? I recall asking him at least one question for this month.
Unfortunately we haven't recorded yet so he will not be a part of it.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I've literally never seen a single thing MovieBob has ever done and I wouldn't recognise him if I walked right past him.

I do not feel like I've missed anything important.
I've enjoyed a ton of his content. He and I are polar opposites politically. But has done things like his "Comics Are Weird" segments, October horror movie reviews and more that were a ton of fun for me. I'm sure I can continue to see them on youtube/bitchute/odyssey.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I just wanted to say, thank you for your charity in letting so many of us squat on the forums even if we aren't very active in the articles themselves.
Well, you should change that then lol. We're legitimately making a lot of fun and interesting content, it'd be great to see more of you interacting with it outside the forums.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I've enjoyed a ton of his content. He and I are polar opposites politically. But has done things like his "Comics Are Weird" segments, October horror movie reviews and more that were a ton of fun for me. I'm sure I can continue to see them on youtube/bitchute/odyssey.
Yes, I made sure all the rights to his content were returned to him earlier this year before any of this went down. He's free to continue ALL of his series back on his own channels uninterrupted.

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
Yes, I made sure all the rights to his content were returned to him earlier this year before any of this went down. He's free to continue ALL of his series back on his own channels uninterrupted.
I don't know how you pulled that off, but that's a major gift to contributors and will likely help you get talent in the future if it's a consistent practice. As someone who knows how these IP contracts can go, seeing the creator being able to keep their content (particularly since he uses his literal face as part of the product like many video creators) is something that I think is a step in the right direction for the industry.

Plus, it does explain how he's been uploading past Big Pictures to his YouTube page without getting DMCA's by the Escapists parent company.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I don't know how you pulled that off, but that's a major gift to contributors and will likely help you get talent in the future if it's a consistent practice. As someone who knows how these IP contracts can go, seeing the creator being able to keep their content (particularly since he uses his literal face as part of the product like many video creators) is something that I think is a step in the right direction for the industry.

Plus, it does explain how he's been uploading past Big Pictures to his YouTube page without getting DMCA's by the Escapists parent company.
It's a complicated business. Can't really go into details on it or anything obviously and it's not entirely up to me since those rights are owned by Enthusiast Gaming. But yes, I was an independent content creator for almost a decade until taking over The Escapist as my full-time gig, so I know how important that stuff is and I know how I'd feel if a company held onto my brands and did nothing with it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I am ashamed to say that I bought the first Bayformers on DVD because I was just "woah dude, the CGI on the Transformers look awesome yo"

Never cared for Sucker Punch.

Thought Scott Pilgram was WAY too full of itself. And too self aware and TOO Nerdy even for me.

James Cameron's Avatar I would only watch the Extended Cut.
I got it since I really liked it in the theater, but after watching it at home and being bored out of my mind I realized I was influenced by a totally packed house on premier night.

I kinda liked sucker punch, but I also only watched it once during drink night, not sure how well it would hold up.

Loved Scott Pilgram, but the comic was better. I would say its probably the only time that all the media for something really worked. Movie was great, game was good to great, book was breat.

What changes are made to the extended cut?

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Serious question: Who here actually reads YouTube, Twitter and Facebook comments? You know its be proven doing that increases your risk for depression and anxiety, right? And I don't mean that snarkily, I mean interacting with people on Social Media is considered a health hazard. Why do you do it? What do you hope to learn or achieve? Even if its something like MovieBob getting canned and some people gloating and other moaning, what you get from interacting with them?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Serious question: Who here actually reads YouTube, Twitter and Facebook comments? You know its be proven doing that increases your risk for depression and anxiety, right? And I don't mean that snarkily, I mean interacting with people on Social Media is considered a health hazard.
Why on earth are you commenting in this forum? This is also a kind of social media.

Anyway: I do read YouTube and Twitter comments. The latter I probably shouldn't since that is a platform whose format encourages zingers more than dialogue and understanding. The former... I might be looking at the wrong videos but I don't really encounter the supposed cesspits of comment sections youtube is infamous for. And sometimes other comment-writers manages to point out something I might have missed in the video.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Serious question: Who here actually reads YouTube, Twitter and Facebook comments? You know its be proven doing that increases your risk for depression and anxiety, right? And I don't mean that snarkily, I mean interacting with people on Social Media is considered a health hazard. Why do you do it? What do you hope to learn or achieve? Even if its something like MovieBob getting canned and some people gloating and other moaning, what you get from interacting with them?
I tend to go through some youtube comments just to see what people are saying, usually not too deep but deep enough to see hate if its there.

When you think about it, it is kinda bullshit that we are so resigned to people being assholes that we just say "don't read the comments."

Reactions: CaitSeith

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Honestly, I think youtube comments have gotten better over the years. I used to describe youtube comment sections as the deepest pits of hell, but these days it's often almost pleasant depending on the video. I think the rise of Twitch contributes to that, as the deliberate offenders can go offend people in real time, but I also think with so much content available in so many different niches, it's really easy to find a space of like-minded people. Which I don't think is great politically, but it's really wholesome when your doing something like listening to video game soundtracks or watching reviews of crappy 90s cars.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I tend to go through some youtube comments just to see what people are saying, usually not too deep but deep enough to see hate if its there.

When you think about it, it is kinda bullshit that we are so resigned to people being assholes that we just say "don't read the comments."
Well it's a form of anonymous communication that lets you spout whatever you want without any real tangible ramifications. So that alone tends to encourage people to say things they wouldn't often say IRL. There is apparently just a significant portion of humanity, who take pleasure in saying terrible things in a public forum, regardless of context or reason, other than that endorphin rush they feel I guess.

I've personally never had that impulse, though I would be lying if I said I've NEVER posted a heated rant/vent for no reason other than I wanted to get it out there. And I've had a number of heated exchanges with people, on these forums, and things like YT comments, because it was just, a bad day, a subject I am passionate about that someone is horribly misrepresenting, etc. But, I've lost count of the number of times I've typed something out and before I hit enter just went "....nah, but, why though? Seriously what do I hope to accomplish with this post? It's just going to piss me off further, when they don't get it, and I know they won't get it. So....yeah nah" *delete*

Because I do think that we should self-monitor our online lives and behavior a lot more, and that it would make things a bit better in the world. We like to think our online personas don't have an impact, but, they really do. While I can't prove it, I firmly believe that I actually witnessed an online chat, that lead to someone committing suicide.
I'll be spare on the details, but it was an online chat site to play roleplaying games online, and we were just in the lobby chatting. There was one guy, who was known to have some emotional stability/depression issues going on. While he wasn't a complete asshole, he was fairly abrasive at times in the chat, but hardly the worst example on the site. Well, he was talking about how he was having some issues lately, but that he was glad to have the chat community, as he enjoyed his time with them. And someone else made a comment, and I'm paraphrasing. "lulz, you are kidding right? You're one of the more toxic people we have here! Half of what you say is hurtful and rude." Now this was ironic to me, as the person posting it, was probably the most passive aggressive shitbag on the site, in my opinion anyway. The guy she insulted didn't post anything else, we saw a notification of him logging off maybe....2 minutes later? And another friend of his came on the next day, to report he'd committed suicide that night. Now, again, this is pure speculation, but even before I knew he killed himself, it definitely seemed to me, that the other person's post, bothered him enough, to make him log off, I assumed to cool down or whatever.

So, yeah, stop being internet shitbags people. Be excellent to each other. Cliché words from a cheezy movie, but they are more true the older I get. The way you interact with people, directly, or after the fact in the form of your internet history, that sticks around after you've move onto something else, has an impact. Like a turd on the sidewalk, that you step on without noticing.

Just, be kind. It's really not that hard. Sure you won't always accomplish it, I sure as hell have my days, but make an EFFORT to reduce your shitstains on humanity. Then, shock of shocks, maybe everything won't be so shitty anymore.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Honestly, I think youtube comments have gotten better over the years.
I dunno man, nearly every comment section I look at only takes a few upvoted posts before it devolves into people being extremely toxic and rude. Looks the same to me

Status
Not open for further replies.