Oh...My...God...someone has just jailbroken the PS3

dragcrew

Aug 20, 2009
So yeah somebody apparently has just jailbroken the PS3, "Geo-Hot" or something like that I think his codename is. He was the one to originally jailbreak the ipod touch, and had the ipad under his control within two hours of its release

How little life must this guy actually have?

Beartrucci

Jun 19, 2009
Link please? Or some sort of proof?

People claim to do these sorts of things to the PS3 all the time and I don't think any of them have turned out to be true.

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
delta4062 said:
Is Jailbroken a new term for Hacked or something?
Yeah, I guess so. Mostly referred to running unauthorized code on the system. "Hacked" generally means the same thing, but has such negative connotations that people wanted to find a new word.

http://kotaku.com/5457741/jailbreak-hacker-releases-his-ps3-exploit-to-the-public

"George Hotz, the man responsible for 'jailbreaking' the iPhone platform, has released the 'coveted' PlayStation 3 exploit he announced last week, the one that means the console is essentially 'hacked.'"

So I guess all the systems are hacked now.. It says he's only tried it with 2.42, but it should work with all of them.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Julianking93 said:
Sorry but what the hell does Jailbroken mean?
delta4062 said:
Is Jailbroken a new term for Hacked or something?
It basically means that you can run any software on the machine, in stead of just the software authorized by Sony.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Julianking93 said:
Jailbroken is the new buzz word for "hacked" or "cracked", meaning you in theory can play pirate games on it.

Funny thing is, in order for it to work, you need to physically open your PS3 up.

ShrapnelHound

Apr 21, 2010
sony are just going to retaliate with a new update and we will have the moaning like the OS removal. why bother!!!

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
ColdStorage said:
Julianking93 said:
Jailbroken is the new buzz word for "hacked" or "cracked", meaning you in theory can play pirate games on it.

Funny thing is, in order for it to work, you need to physically open your PS3 up.
Oh okay, well with my sick mind I just assumed it meant someone had been raped and made someone's ***** in prison :p

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
ShrapnelHound said:
sony are just going to retaliate with a new update and we will have the moaning like the OS removal. why bother!!!
This is the reason the OS was removed in the first place, this actual "hack", notice the Kotaku article date... its in January.

Julianking93 said:
ColdStorage said:
Julianking93 said:

Oh okay, well with my sick mind I just assumed it meant someone had been raped and made someone's ***** in prison :p
with a PS3 no less, ouch.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
That pretty cool man, for future reference when posting a story like this (or any really) links are expected.

Raptoricus

Jan 13, 2009
I think it's a good thing, other than piracy, I really don't understand why sony keep their cards so close to their chest as far as letting independant devs do work on their system. Hell I use my PSP loads more since I hacked that, there's so much nice work been done by people that isn't just piracy, but actually usefull tools that sony doesn't have the time or need to make.

Shame really, at some point I hope that some hardware manufacturer makes a console or portable console where they openly market it as being easilly developed for.

ShrapnelHound

Apr 21, 2010
ColdStorage said:
ShrapnelHound said:
This is the reason the OS was removed in the first place, this actual "hack", notice the Kotaku article date... its in January.

Julianking93 said:
ColdStorage said:
Julianking93 said:

with a PS3 no less, ouch.
ok thanks for clearing that up

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
This is quite old news. It matters not, I use PS3 for gaming, not for showing off my computing skills.