Oklahoma Ponders Violent Videogame Tax

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
On its own it seems to be a fair enough bill, until you once again see that they failed to do proper research. Not every teen rated game is violent.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Baresark said:
draythefingerless said:
Absolutionis said:
Politics seems so easy.

I propose an amendment called the "HB 2697: Freedom Proclamation of American Values". It'll ban terrorism in the US in order to create jobs and cure cancerAIDS. Anyone who opposes this amendment is an anti-jobs cancerAIDS-sympathizer.

Just drop a bunch of buzzwords and people will think it's a good thing.
it has to do with the way the united states is formed. unfortunately, being so independent from one another, individual states can get by with these IDIOTIC and ignorant ideas. on a more federal national level, such things dont go by so easily, as is the case with recent of events of SOPA and such. that is not to say that this proposed bill will pass, just that these ideas can get passed just by one hearing is astoundingly easy.
What you are saying is nonsense, no offense meant by that. You are misunderstanding the whole situation. You are splitting hairs and acting like one form of government (Federal Government) is better than another form of the same government (State Government). Both make good and bad decisions. This is just a proposal by one single politician that will gain favor because it involves new avenues of tax revenue. But, the Federal Government makes just as many stupid bad decisions as State Governments do. To name a few in history we have Korea, Vietnam, Iraq War 1, Iraq War 2, Afghanistan... I could go on. These are things that States would never do individually. Look at the War on Drugs, the only reason it's under any kind of control is because individual states make laws going against the Federal mandates. I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, but your response to that statement was just not in alignment with reality. I'm just trying to point out that the ideas that are idiotic and don't fly on federal level is an illusion. You better believe that this could easily become a federal law if it was successful on a state level. Things like this are going to become more and more commonplace unfortunately, consider the amount of money various levels of government already make off of the videogame industry.

Luckily, with the decision by the Supreme court that videogames are protected under the first amendment would put an end to that, at least for the moment. At any time someone could come along and convince the Supreme Court their ruling was a bad one. Just as precedents can be set, they can be reversed.
there are far more silly state laws than silly federal laws. i didnt mean to say the federal government goes by immaculate, its just that it has many more eyes on it, while state affairs usually dont even care to ask the public about stuff, and they come n go on a whim, while on a federal level, you get a big slow dragging process to get anything done. im not saying federal makes evth right, the fact that SOPA is even discussed for this long without being put down like the monstrosity it is sooner, shows that, but still...i see far stupider things happening on a state level. at least the wars are debatable(except iraq war 2, that was just idiotic.)

SurfKansas

Nov 25, 2008
And I voted for him due to his pro-violence tag line of "Fourkiller - for killers!" Dangit.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Violent videogames make children fat?

Id pay anything to see his source on that, id also pay anything for a Tomahawk cruise missile too. Put the two together and thats one more desperate research group removed.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
A tax on videogames to fund important projects is one thing. At face value it's no different than a tax on anything else. A more cynical angle, it's a tax on a big business that they want more out of than sales tax. Yeah, no one likes it, but it's harder to challenge "money has to come from somewhere".

Which makes you wonder why on earth he even add the blaming videogames as the source of two largely anomolus probles. Bulling has been around as long as we know, and there has never been an acceptible source. Obesity is a vastly bigger issue that swallows up excessive gaming among a couple hundred other facets.

To attack videogames says Representative Fourkiller is either displaying ignorance (clumsily spun to look like forethought), or a desire to target games as evil in world when the BIG laws are out of bounds (clumsily spun to look like concern). Attacking videogames as something to be purged or punished used to be an easy lay for the politically minded. But ever since Supreme Court ruled in our favor, they don't have that anymore. I certain some only aimed that way because it was a low hanging fruit, but there must be those with a genuine malice towards games and they have to find someway to use their power against their enemy. Even as superficially as a justification.

On the other hand, pulling the Games are the Problem card in his justification probably tripled the opposition so perhaps it is ignorance.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Wait. So he is saying the reason I was bullied as a kid and the reason all kids are fat is because of violent video games?
Explain my childhood then fucker. We did not have violent video games back then yet I got bullied and there were fat kids everywhere.
Plus Teen, Mature, Adults Only... What the fuck do these games have to do with kids?

Now I am not against taxes per se, if they really are put to good use then I am all for them. I am not one of those morons who want everything to be better, better law enforcement, better schools, better healthcare etc, then whine like a **** when they say they will have to raise taxes to cover the cost. I understand that shit costs money. But don't try to fucking bullshit us and use scapegoats just to further your own career asshole.

How about this. Any politician who comes out and suggests such shit to "protect our kids" then has to give up 5-10% of their pay check which will be donated to these charities.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

How will a tax stop bullying?
How?
Why is this guy alive?

Varil

May 23, 2011
Huh, well he certainly LOOKS like he forgot to evolve somewhere. I guess that explains his backwards, primitive mind-set.

Jun 7, 2010
An Oklahoma State Representative wants to impose a tax on violent videogames to help fight childhood obesity and bullying.
In other news, the Secret World Leader wants to impose a tax on zimmers to help fight cancer, terrorism and world hunger.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Yes everyone, let's stop childhood obesity and bullying by taxing items that children are not supposed to have. Hell, let's throw an extra tax on alcohol to cut down on underage drinking! That'll work, right?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
The logic of this proposal is making my brain hurt.

Of course most smart bullies will hire accountants in order write off tax as a business expense.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Yeah because obviously kids can't get fat when playing Little Big Planet because there's no violence in it!

You know this is why I get so pissed off about the freakishly overblown taxes for smokers because even if I'm NOT a smoker, the fact that the government is allowed to do that to smokers is precendent for them to add outrageous taxes to anything the government thinks is bad. We demonize smokers so it's okay to tax the fuck out of them. They've got the demonization of video gamers down and so I wouldn't be surprised if that it was just a matter of time before that 60 dollar video game is now 100 dollars because you have to pay the government to have it!

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
xedobubble said:
Wow, just wow. I like how he's explicitly leveling the tax at teen/mature/adult titles that shouldn't be played by small children in the first place.
Why does no one (except for us gamers and a few non-gamers, obviously) understand the rating system? Would these people take their young children to a PG-13 or R rated move? Of course not. Games shouldn't be regarded any different. Younger kids shouldn't play or be allowed to play the more mature games until they've reached the recommended age and demonstrated emotional maturity. It's not that difficult to understand, parents and politicians of the world. Taxes like this wouldn't be necessary if you and your children followed the ESRB's system.

But alas, I'm only beating a dead horse with the classic argument. They won't fucking listen to people like me.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Maybe the fucking parents should do their job and limit what their children play and make certain they get enough physical activity. -sigh-

OH NO, THAT WOULD INVOLVE MAKING THEM DO THINGS THEY DON'T WANT TO DO!

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
TLS14 said:
xedobubble said:
Wow, just wow. I like how he's explicitly leveling the tax at teen/mature/adult titles that shouldn't be played by small children in the first place.
Why does no one (except for us gamers and a few non-gamers, obviously) understand the rating system? Would these people take their young children to a PG-13 or R rated move? Of course not. Games shouldn't be regarded any different. Younger kids shouldn't play or be allowed to play the more mature games until they've reached the recommended age and demonstrated emotional maturity. It's not that difficult to understand, parents and politicians of the world. Taxes like this wouldn't be necessary if you and your children followed the ESRB's system.

But alas, I'm only beating a dead horse with the classic argument. They won't fucking listen to people like me.
Unfortunately, the folks who make the laws and the folks who vote for the folks who make those laws really don't think that deeply. The association is simple, video games are for kids. All of them. Despite how much it's been mainstreamed, that's still the stereotype. So any video game targeted at people ages 16+ obviously is being freely sold to kids, because it's a video game.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Moosejaw said:
TLS14 said:
Unfortunately, the folks who make the laws and the folks who vote for the folks who make those laws really don't think that deeply. The association is simple, video games are for kids. All of them. Despite how much it's been mainstreamed, that's still the stereotype. So any video game targeted at people ages 16+ obviously is being freely sold to kids, because it's a video game.
Of course. It's only natural that games are exclusively played by kids, right? I mean adults [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball] don't [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball] ever [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football] play [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football] games [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess], right?

Video games are a lot like competitive sports or board games. They're played for the recreation of the participants, regardless of said participants' ages. They're just played through a different medium, an electronic one. That's the only difference (aside from fitness reasons in the sport argument, obviously). Wake up and look at the facts, society.