Old but gold - what are you playing?

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
Anthraxus said:
Did someone say gold ? How about Gold Box ?
The old Gold Box games where cool but for me the cream of the old D'n'D crop were the Dark Sun games. The Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager were awesome. SSI did a lot of great RPG's. I really liked the old turn based battle system, it was very strategic. You did have to be careful with area effect spells though. I think I tripped over more of my own party with grease than I ever tripped monsters. Ditto for killing cloud and fireball.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
After getting a GBA emulator on my phone, i've been playing a few GBA games. In the middle of Mother 3 currently as well as Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis. Riviera The Promised Land, Harvest Moon FOMT and Golden Sun 2 are also each on my radar.

Mother 3 is not as good as Earthbound, but still fun and somewhat charming. Knights of Lodis on the other hand is a surprising gem so far, with a deep tactics system and interesting setting.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
daveman247 said:
I play old games all the damn time. They are easy to find and most of the time extremely cheap!

Currently playing: baldurs gate dark alliance 2
- crimson skies
-rogue trooper
and recently discovered last gens spyhunter games. Damn good fun :D
Found Rogue Trooper surprisingly good. As a big fan of 2000ad I wasn't expecting much from a tie in game but it was actually pretty faithful. Getting to play through such an iconic moment as the quartz zone massacre was a bit of a treat.

Now we need a decent Dredd game. I'm not counting the old Commodore 64 one, that's getting too old school. Speaking of the 64, there needs to be a new Strontium Dog game, there is a lot of potential in that for an awesome bounty hunting game.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RRtlWfi6jiM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

The first game i ever played, and Im happy to say its great for more than the nostalgia :D

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Age of empires 2, first game I ever played, and Im happy its still a great game without the nostalgia :)

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
I am currently taking a character through all the "Quest for Glory" games. I forgot how bad the combat can be, but they are awesome games regardless.

Hargrimm

Jan 1, 2010
Anthraxus said:
Jason Rayes said:
The old Gold Box games where cool but for me the cream of the old D'n'D crop were the Dark Sun games. The Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager were awesome. SSI did a lot of great RPG's. I really liked the old turn based battle system, it was very strategic. You did have to be careful with area effect spells though. I think I tripped over more of my own party with grease than I ever tripped monsters. Ditto for killing cloud and fireball.
Hell yea, Shattered Lands was the shit. D&D games were meant to be turn based. As much as I liked the IE games, they would of been better off being TB instead of RtwP.
I'd like to throw my hat in with Darklands.

The RtwP was a bit clunky, but I haven't played a game quite like it since then. Also, the character creation was awesome. And the manual was a joy to read.

Incidentally, it's on sale right now on gog for 2.39$.(And a ton of other great games for 60% off. I recommend Master of Orion 1+2, Total Annihilation: Commander Pack and Master of Magic)

Kiyeri

Mar 8, 2010
This thread makes me want to fire up one of my old Spyro games. Probably the third one, Year of the Dragon, because it's still one of my favorite games of all time. If I had my PS2 handy, I'd go play it now. Curse you lack of space in a college dorm! *shakes fist*

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Does Persona 4 count as old? If so, that, if not Spellbreaker. Seriously one of these days I will get around to actually completing that game. :(

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Shadowstar38 said:
Good lord this game makes my pants explode with nostalgia juices. The greatest handheld game of...fucking ever.
Just recently found my old copy of Yellow, and for the first time ever I was thinking about erasing my old file and starting anew.

The reason that is such a big deal for me is that I have never erased a file on a Pokemon game I've ever owned. With every version I've played, I usually put hundreds of hours in on each one and I never have the heart to start over.

The only time files been erased, was on my old copies of gold and silver, because oddly enough the cartridge batteries on both of them went bad. :( I had the most level 100 ever on those games, almost 30 different ones.

--------------------

This reminds me, I just recently started replaying a golden oldie, and what I consider the best handheld game combination in handheld history. It was obviously a ploy to get more money from gamers, because they would have to buy two games to truly get the whole story, but I didn't mind.

What am I talking about, none other than:

Each are so good that they can stand alone from each other, but to make it more amazing is that when you beat one game(doesn't really matter which you play first), you get a code that is entered into the other game so that you can continue on with some items and health from the last game into the next, and also the true story that connects both games is revealed.

Another interesting fact is that they came out after the Gamyboy Advance came out, and because of this, they also added a little extra secret for people that owned and Advance and used it to play them. The secret is an extra shop that sells some special items that are helpful, though not overly amazing as to warrant needing an Advance because you are missing out on something important. I had forgot about that extra, but I happen to be replaying Oracle of Ages on my old Advance and found and remembered it.

If Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker hadn't been made, Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons would be my top favorite Zelda games. They are just shy of tying with WW.

They also have some my favorite music from the Zelda series;

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
Hargrimm said:
Anthraxus said:
Jason Rayes said:
Hell yea, Shattered Lands was the shit. D&D games were meant to be turn based. As much as I liked the IE games, they would of been better off being TB instead of RtwP.
I'd like to throw my hat in with Darklands.

The RtwP was a bit clunky, but I haven't played a game quite like it since then. Also, the character creation was awesome. And the manual was a joy to read.

Incidentally, it's on sale right now on gog for 2.39$.(And a ton of other great games for 60% off. I recommend Master of Orion 1+2, Total Annihilation: Commander Pack and Master of Magic)
Darklands had so much choice, just for example, getting in and out of cities that were closed. The amount of options was amazing.

Master of Magic is a strategy classic. I love the MoO games too but Master of Magic was just superb. It kind of reminds me of Civilization with magic replacing the civ advances. Age of Wonders is about the only true successor. Heroes of Might and magic is great but it is greatly simplified compared to what MoM offered.

With Master of Orion, on thing I miss with modern 4X games is true control in combat. In a lot of them you can give basic direction but the battle plays out by itself. The top down turn based battles of MoO were a blast, you really got a feel for the various ships you constructed. Galactic Civilizations 2 and Sins of a Solar Empire are great, but MoO still shines.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
At the moment I'm playing fallout: NV, but if I wanted a nice kick of nostalgia, I would pop in either my sly cooper collection, or my ico collection.

I'm starting to think I'm due for another run through...

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
i'm playing again with X-Com lately. preparing for the next one. i must have put over 1000 hours in that game since it came out.

i also play with privateer sometimes

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Jason Rayes said:
Yeah rogue trooper is very good. They managed to make a ruined world - without going the grey/brown route.

The dredd game on ps2/xbox pretty good i though. But yeah there needs to be a REALLY good one one, theres so much good stuff in the comics it would be easy, surely?

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Kiyeri said:
This thread makes me want to fire up one of my old Spyro games. Probably the third one, Year of the Dragon, because it's still one of my favorite games of all time. If I had my PS2 handy, I'd go play it now. Curse you lack of space in a college dorm! *shakes fist*
i played spyro 2 not too long ago. It has aged well, just like crash bandicoot :) I got pretty far but then stopped, my memory card reformatted itself and deleted everything ;_; I forgot they did that...