Old Escapist Thread Mentioned in Cracked Article

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Just figure people might get a laugh about this, especially the few that would remember it- one of today's Cracked articles is "6 Innocent-Sounding Topics that are Guaranteed Flame Wars".

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-innocent-sounding-topics-that-are-guaranteed-flame-wars/

Lo and behold, #4 proves that maybe we really have changed at all... It's a thread from 2009 when a user called MaxTheReaper was still around.

In other words, damn that's old for a forum.

But funny nonetheless all things considered.

Enjoy :D

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
That I'm both old enough and here frequently enough to remember that thread. Boy were the flames high that day.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Wow, I remember that thread from when I was lurking the site, long before I joined!

Ah, the memories...

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
I remember that thread. Lots of fun with that one. Anyway, flame wars are inevitable when there are two opposing views and an open forum for the disagreement to be aired and a degree of anonymity. Its actually half the fun on the internet, watching two people (who usually spend their time arguing with each other rather than answer the question first posted) make complete fools of themselves and comparing each other to Hitler along the way.

This thread itself may turn to a flame war. I'm just saying I'm calling that now and stepping away.

Jun 11, 2008
You know what is more sad than the fact I probably posted on that thread is that we have had like 5 threads like that exact one since then. I am glad my post was not put up.

Actually looking at that thread the Escapist has had long lasting flame wars on all of those topics except tipping and the number 1. Think about that for a minute.

Sep 3, 2011
HOW THE HELL IS THAT EVEN A QUESTION???? Thats like saying 0.11111111 repeated is bigger than 0.2
OMG?!?!?sjsdashsiahdajsdjdas

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
EverythingIncredible said:
Oh, I remember that one.

There are good arguments for both.

Personally what drives me up the wall is anyone who prefaces any argument for/against .99999... being equal to 1 with "I am a Math Major." This goes for any other Math question ever made(Especially the order of operations ones. There are very few things in Mathematics that are ambiguous, but order of operations is indeed ambiguous.)

I don't give a flying **** about what you major in or not. It just makes you sound like a douche when you bring that up.
That's because people who bring that up minor in douchebaggery. At least they get what they payed for, I guess.

Trust me, I would know. I have a major in making up fake minors.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
SirFlamingLoboOfDoom said:
HOW THE HELL IS THAT EVEN A QUESTION???? Thats like saying 0.11111111 repeated is bigger than 0.2
Don't, do NOT, I'm not going to risk proving them more than right over the fact that even indirectly bringing up the topic without any intent of discussing it can cause a flame war.

No. Just no. That... that'd just be... just no. XD

Jun 11, 2008
Really are you actually going to bring it up we don't need another one we have already had more of those threads than I have fingers on my hands.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I remember that thread! I took a look at it when it was on page 10 I think and I was confused out of my head. It didn't help that I am not good at math either so I was just reading the posts trying to figure out what was going on to no avail :/

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
No, it's like saying that 0.1(9)==0.2
Which, if you make the assumption that 0.(0)1==0, is true.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
I remember it too. cracked is right, it's kindof a stupid thing to get so worked up about...

Sep 3, 2011
Lukeje said:
Well its on the same level of math-tardation.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Lukeje said:
It begins.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
LOL OP I think you might have inadvertently caused another flame war when you mentioned that thread XD

And yeah I agree with the article on how circumcision is really controversial on the internets

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Lukeje said:
Lukeje said:
Well its on the same level of math-tardation.

STOP, YOU FOOLS!

Jul 9, 2008
I'll PM you with the logic behind it. We really don't need to start this here.