Old games that hold up today

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

I still play that game periodically on my Sega. :3 I think it'd be awesome if they remade that game! :D

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
All of them.
I seriously never got the "Not hold up"-saying. If a newer game has better graphics or animations or length because of the technical advancement through the years, I don't see how it makes an older game feel any worse. It's still the same game and I don't believe it should be compared to newer games, but the games of it's own era.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Chess

Solid game play classic visuals, and despite being old as fuck the tournament scene is still extremely strong.

Auninteligentname

Jun 12, 2011
Akirai said:
Zelda: Wind Waker and that-last-one-on-the-snes-I-can't-remember-the-name-of
A link to the past? Im not sure myself :p

OT:
Well, Super Metroid holds up, as does Fusion and Zero mission. I will actually go so far and say that most games which uses this kind of graphics (32 bit, me thinks), will hold up as long as they were good to start with.

Captcha:

Ræderer, ctrumpet

That would have been a problem, weren't it for that we norwegians already uses the letter æ.

MSfire012

Jul 9, 2011
Megaman 2, Super Mario Brothers 3, Megaman X, Super Mario World

The best Sidescrollers ever made

Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI and Earthbound

These are games that are hundreds of times better than every JRPG made after than. Everything from the story, the characters, the atmosphere and the music is almost perfect.

Super Metroid and Castlevania Symphonyof the Night

These games are the Standard to 2D exploration games. The gameplay, the Power Ups, the enemies and the secrets are tall crafted with perfection.

Doom 2, Half Life, Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Goldeneye

Some of the best First Person Shooters ever made. These games put newer FPS's like Cod and Battlefield to shame.

System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Thief 2, Silent Hill 2 and Prince of Persia: Sands of Times

These are the best of its kind: System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are the best First Persons RPG ever created, Thief 2 manages to be the most open and fun Stealth game ever made, Silent Hill 2 is probably the best written and most scary game ever and PoP: Sands of Times is the best 3D platfformer ever created.

Half Life 2

This game is Eight years old and it manages to surpass almost every new game in terms of gameplay, immersion, art direction, characters and story. And this isn't nostalgia, I bought the Orange Box in April 2011 and thought it was better than 95% off the games released in the last 7 years

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Nethack takes the crown, I think. 23-ish years old, still plays great. Fast-paced, deep, engaging, challenging, and endlessly replayable. It's a perfect example of the staying power of gameplay-focused design.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
Kingdom Hearts One holds up for me, and so does Pokemon Yellow. Though pokemon is probably because they hadn't released the same game half a dozen times, and it was still possible to catch 'em all without devoting the rest of your natural life to it.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
Well I've spent most of my day thus far playing Ocarina of Time on my N64, and have had a blast doing so, so I'd say that holds up pretty well.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
viking97 said:
the older is the more points you get. have at you!
Well then:

Contra on the NES. I still play it from time to time. One of the best 2D shooters ever made (not an opinion, it's a fact :)
Also, Tetris holds up pretty good.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Hogs of War. Game is still as fun and quirky as it was when it was first released. Would really like a sequel or a HD remastering though - would be so awesome...

Casey Bowen

Jun 26, 2011
X-com: UFO Defense.

Still to this day one of the best games I have ever played. Why that experience has never been successfully replicated for me is a huge letdown. None of the sequels (not even TFTD). None of the spiritual successors. Certainly not the new one in production.

I still get readdicted to this game every time I pull it out and boot it up. The strategy of building a team, the tactical combat, the struggle to balance your budget while expanding your presence. Which research path to take and when.

X-Com. Hands down.

CNKFan

Aug 20, 2008
An old shooter on the ps2 and xbox called Urban Chaos Riot Response. It was a game where you were a riot cop of sorts that fights a stupidly named gang called the Burners. But it was fun, brutal and the controls worked well and still do. Another one is Freedom Fighters and that game came out on every damn system back in the ps2 days. It is some alternate history game where the tired trope of the russians invading makes sense because the Soviet Union never dissolved it got stronger because they deployed the first atom bomb over Berlin ending WW2 and making them the global superpower. Both games are fun and worth the combined total of 15 USD.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Warcraft III Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne HANDS FUC**** DOWN!!!
Honestly, played through them many many times and still could go back to them and eventually will.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
leet_x1337 said:
believer258 said:
[sub][sub]**I know that Metroid Prime was rereleased as part of a trilogy. I have said trilogy and the console to play it on. And I still very much prefer it on the Gamecube because I can play it with a good and proper controller, not any of this newfangled motion control bollocks. Plus I would like to see that game in a true HD rerelease - it still looks really damned good.
[/sub][/sub]
I have the exact opposite thing going: I can't play normal first-person shooters for crap with a gamepad, but the Wii's pointer (without waggle, just the pointer) works like a charm.
Metroid Prime has lock-on, though; doesn't that help at all?

OT: I'm just playing Fallout 1 now, in 2011, for the first time, and it's phenomenal. On top of that I would say Psychonauts (as was mentioned earlier) and the Fire Emblem games on GBA age remarkably well.

Nintendo games in general do well when played years later; possibly because graphics are the only thing that fundamentally improves from installment to installment.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Total Annihilation, Civ 3 and all the old C&C games. My brother just got bootcamp for our mac so I'm able to play all these old games I have. So sweet.