Old TV Shows You Remember Fondly...But No One Seems To Talk About

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
I have a bit of a problem. I have tendencies to remember certain things from, say, my childhood, and once I have, they're the only things I can think about for days. Sometimes it's TMNT, other times it's the Goof Troop intro. (Which, coincidentally, will be stuck in your brain too now that I've mentioned it) Or something else entirely.

Lately, it's been Quack Pack.

For those of you who don't know, Quack Pack was a 1-season Donald Duck interpretation that aired some time in 1996. Well, it re-imagined the nephews as teens, for one thing. Apparently, it wasn't that well-recieved, what with the main characters being the only ducks in Duckburg (which doesn't make sense, by the way), the humans being actually human and not dog-faces and the focus on slapstick comedy. And I guess people didn't like aging the nephews up. From what I understand.

I never hear anyone talk about this show ever. Did people just find it so awful that they prefer to pretend it never existed, or did they just forget? Because I remember this show quite fondly. Granted, I was 2 years old when it first aired, but I had a VHS with three episodes growing up, and it also aired on Disney channel when I was a pre-teen and in my early teens, so I watched it then.
I think it's a really underrated show. It may be because I have a stupid sense of humor, but I like slapstick comedy and I thought the writing was funny and solid. And I really like that the teenage nephews got some actual different personalitites; They felt more like three people rather than one person split into three. And I watched the Swedish dub, which wasn't so ripe with "totally radical" dialouge. Granted, it's not a perfect show. Not gonna pretend it is. But it's a fun, quirky little show that I really feel needs some more love. (It was apparently fairly popular in Europe, though)

Also, the theme song fucking rocks.

Another show I never hear anyone talk about, which was one of my favorites in my pre-teens and teens, is Dave The Barbarian. I's a fantasy parody; The main character is a barbarian who only became one because he confused with with "barber" when he was 10. He's a massive wimp. And he has a magic sword which is the snarkiest prick in the show. I found this show hilarious, but again, it might only be because I have a really stupid sense of humor.

Well, share with me: What show do you remember fondly or like, but no one seems to talk about?

NiGHTSJOD

Sep 27, 2010
Married with Children. Used to love the UK tv shows that came over here too such as Whose Line is it anyway?, Gamesmaster, Red Dwarf, The Young Ones and Bottom (RIP, Rik Mayall). Also, Spaced might well be the most perfect thing ever.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Babylon 5. One of the most groundbreaking sci fi shows, that set a precedent for many to follow, yet very few people I know ever saw it.

AliasBot

Jun 14, 2013
Xiaolin Showdown. So many potential opportunities for jokes and references missed because no one around me would get them.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. No one I know has even seen the show, and it had quite the effect on me as a little kid. It came out in the late 80s and had toys that interacted with what was on screen, cg enemies, and a surprisingly dark WWII analog story. It was cancelled after one season despite its success, and has never seen a dvd or other home release since airing because the rights were lost in the shuffle between the vhs publisher and the makers of the show. There is still a small, dedicated, and somewhat rabid fanbase that holds onto the hope that syfy will remake the show someday.

Also, how about a shout out for Hey Arnold?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
flying_whimsy said:
Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. No one I know has even seen the show, and it had quite the effect on me as a little kid. It came out in the late 80s and had toys that interacted with what was on screen, cg enemies, and a surprisingly dark WWII analog story. It was cancelled after one season despite its success, and has never seen a dvd or other home release since airing because the rights were lost in the shuffle between the vhs publisher and the makers of the show. There is still a small, dedicated, and somewhat rabid fanbase that holds onto the hope that syfy will remake the show someday.
Oh...and weird glowy things on the enemy robot thingies, and if you aimed a toy at the screen it'd register a hit, and their were scores for each ep?

Only seen 3 episodes on one VHS, but don't remember any WW2 stuff, seemed very ordinary Terminator style robot apocalypse.

(Hawk was the coolest, his suit could fly. Sure, they all had jetbikes, including him, but he had a jetpack as well)

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
I don't quite remember it's name....

Time Commander?

It used the Rome Total War engine and made four people act as commanders of a historical army against a computer. Wasn't very popular, but it got me into history like no one's business.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Of all of the DCAU TV shows, Superman: The Animated Series kinda gets lost in the shuffle, which disappoints me. I know it was popular when it was on, but people generally forget about it. Most of my friends only ever watched the Justice League and Unlimited, Static Shock, and some of Batman Beyond. Hell, even on the internet, it is all about Batman: TAS. I loved Darkseid in the show and was the first villain in any medium that I genuinely hated, when he straight up killed Dan Turpin, a recurring character on the show, for no other reason than spite.

And it made me happy to no end when Darkseid showed up in the Justice League show as basically the one enemy that Superman would be willing to kill without a seconds hesitation.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I love old school Captain Scarlet in my view it was (and is) far superior to Thunderbirds and Stingray.

My favourite character was always Captain Black for some reason.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Leon Declis said:
I don't quite remember it's name....

Time Commander?

It used the Rome Total War engine and made four people act as commanders of a historical army against a computer. Wasn't very popular, but it got me into history like no one's business.
Only ever heard of that...didn't that end with a loss for the humans half the time because the people playing as captains never listened to the person playing the general?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Twintix said:
Lately, it's been Quack Pack.
I remember Quack Pack! Though I didn't watch much of it, I much preferred Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers and Ducktales.

But one that I LOVED and nobody seems to remember exist is Pepper Ann, from the Disney and Toon Disney morning and afternoon cartoon blocks. I really related to a preteen girl who didn't really fit in and loved video games. They were even a bit "edgy" for 90s cartoons, had an episode about bras.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Titus.

One of my favourite comedians playing a semi-autobiographical sitcom about his own life, Stacy Keach as his dad, Zack Ward as his brother. It was absolute hilarity. It could take the darkest situations you could think of and make you laugh with them. Mental illness, death, alcoholism, it was like a negaverse version of Full House.

Sadly ended prematurely because apparently the network wanted him to copy the formula of Dharma and Greg and have him and his wife split up briefly because "that gets ratings". Titus didn't want to do that because it didn't happen in real life to him, as most of the show had.

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
Babylon 5. One of the most groundbreaking sci fi shows, that set a precedent for many to follow, yet very few people I know ever saw it.
Babylon 5 is a bit of a rediscovered gem for me. I watched a few episodes as a kid but at the time a lot of it flew over my head and I preferred easier sci fi fare. A few years ago I decided to watch it again and I loved it! Though I must admit the last season felt very tacked on

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Mad Jack the Captain/Pirate.

Any attempts to find this show now results in a certain other mad, jack, captain, pirate. Be it Mad Jack the Captain during WW2 or Mad Jack the Pirate of.. the Caribbean.

You have to combine it with the animation studio, it was a show that ran on Fox Kids and was killed mid-firstseason despite being well recieved since Fox are idiots.

Their last episode literally ended mid-episode with them falling off a waterfall and dying.

I loved it, it also holds sentimental value.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
There was this one kid's show that I remember that nobody else seems to. It was called 'Roboroach'. It was basically Inspector Gadget with cockroaches. What I liked was that the focus was nearly always on the titular character's slimy, opportunistic brother Reg wanting to exploit Roboroach's powers for his own gain. Roboroach himself was a dumb goody-two-shoes, while Reg tried to lead him astray with get-rich-quick schemes that inevitably failed in comedic ways.

Plus, there were a lot of imported kids' anime that made it's way onto morning TV back in the day. My first thought when I saw this topic was 'Digimon', but that was massive compared to the really obscure stuff. Shows like 'Beyblades', 'Medabots' and 'Crush Gear', all shallow toy commercials, but also fun in their own ways. When my generation gets it's equivalent to Moviebob in around ten years time, expect these shows to get their own episodes on whatever that person's answer to 'The Big Picture' is.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Darkwing Duck. Seriously, I know so many people who either know what it is and never saw it, or had never heard of it. I loved the show. Lets get dangerous...

Happyninja42 said:
You'll be glad to know my flat mates and I recently discovered and are watching through it :)

Equiliari

Mar 15, 2011
Jinjer said:
Though I must admit the last season felt very tacked on
It sorta was. To a degree.
Going into the fourth season, the demise of the network that sent the show was looming, and they were unsure if they would be allowed to continue as they heard nothing from the parent company. The show's main writer, Straczynski, began preparing modifications to the fourth season in order to allow for both a cancellation and a continuation. So the major story arcs of the show was pretty much finished in season 4 with the help of 2 additional movies. With the leftovers brought over to season 5.
Yeah, big fan of the show! :) Zooty! zoot-zoot!

Twintix said:
Quack Pack.
Hello childhood. I like that show! Watched it a lot when I was younger on VHS recordings.
A possible reason why it perhaps is considered a bit more popular in Europe might be that the dubbers toned down on the "totally radical" lines :p. Watched the Norwegian dub.
On an unrelated note, I can and regularly do the Donald Duck voice, especially to brighten (or not) the day of phone salespeople.

small

Aug 5, 2014
ALL OF THEM
airwolf, manimal, magnum PI,the equilizer,fraggle rock,degrassi junior high,hardcastle and mcormick, moonlighting, remington steele, hill street blues, friday the 13th, max headroom (this was freaking awesome!), cheers, robotech.

grumbles about stupid kids and get off my lawn !

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Lilani said:
But one that I LOVED and nobody seems to remember exist is Pepper Ann, from the Disney and Toon Disney morning and afternoon cartoon blocks. I really related to a preteen girl who didn't really fit in and loved video games. They were even a bit "edgy" for 90s cartoons, had an episode about bras.
Whoa! nostalgia wave. I completely forgot that show existed, but hearing the name again it all came rushing back. XD I used to watch it on ABC's "One Saturday Morning" block, they marketed it as a distaff counterpart to "Doug", but I recall the episodes dealing with more mature themes than the latter. Good times.

It's strange, seeing as how we seem to be the generation of nostalgia, but I can't think of too many shows that fell into obscurity that I remember enjoying. There was What-A-Mess when I was really young, Xyber 9, the mystic knights of tir-na-nog.... hmm... give me some time to think about it.

Ohhh, it's not exactly old... maybe a decade or so, but I do recall being fond of W*I*T*C*H back in the day. it hit a good balance of fantasy and slice of life for me at the time. XD

Also, Bobby's world and Life With Louie... I wish comics still tried their hand at childrens comedy shows.