oldschool?

VRaptorX

Mar 6, 2008
I just heard someone on X play during an interview say that they were still "kicking it oldschool" in gaming. OK so I'm thinking mario, Sonic, Zelda, maybe some PS1 and N64. And what do I hear?

"I'm still kicking it old school. You know madden 2004."

*facepalm*

2004? that doesn't count as oldschool.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Joeshie said:
Psh, Mario? Zelda?

Those aren't old school. Try Pong or Space Invaders. :p
No no no. Pong and Space Invaders are not "Old School," for that is the new spelling of the term. They are "Ye Olde School."

VRaptorX

Mar 6, 2008
OK...yes Pong and Space invaders are older.....so let's just say open space/space war and get the grandaddy of them all.

Lightbulb

Oct 28, 2007
Nethack? Its pretty much the only game i can think of thats still regularly played, patched and thats older than most of its players...

To be honest though i think old school refers to the style. Example when Serious Same came out it was an old school FPS - no real plot just shoot the crap out of everything. If i released a 2d platform in the style of Mario World say that would be an old school style game.

Sports games though? Do they even change? 2004 is probably the exact same game at 92 so i guess you could say its old school...

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
2004....oldschool? Pfft.

true oldschool videogames are the ones that don't use electricity. A real oldschool videogame was made before the word video was created. I remember classics like rock throw, stick bundle and fall in hole. You youngsters have no idea what you missed.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
"Old School" is considered the NES and SEGA for most people. The early 80s really set videos games up and made them popular, which was only a fraction of the popularity today. Anyone who says "Old School" is anything newer isn't old enough to remember dying in Kid Icarus.

VRaptorX

Mar 6, 2008
nightmare_gorilla said:
what are you doing watching xplay to begin with? they hate gamers and are retards to boot.
to hold me over until Ninja Warrior.

and I sucked at Kid Icarus. the screen didn't scroll back down. there is a platform 2 inches under me but if I mess up a jump I can't go back there. I never got to a side scrolling or dungeon level in that game.

waTHUMP

May 5, 2008
I advise all to see the movie King of Kong for pure game nostalgia.

Also, Pac-Man is own. I love it because it's basicly you against yourself.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
i fondly remember my apple ][e and playing the olympics and some space game i forget the name of. then there's my intellivision

now get off my lawn :p

Remag

Apr 16, 2008
I'm willing to just barely acknowledge the PSX generation as "old school" (and only then for those who were there for the early or late launch titles), although I guess I can somewhat see the Madden 04s guy point, if for no other reason than the fact that mainstream gaming (a.k.a gaming revenues that could compete with movie box office receipts on opening weekend) is a rather recent phenomenon.

Irrok the Wide

Feb 12, 2008
What's the difference between madden '04 and .. oh wait I think it was a refference to last generation graphics. Well, it's a madden gamer. Trendy slang is what we expect.