OMG 2012 is comming!!

freakonadrum

Oct 25, 2009
some dude probably made it up so long ago to get a shag he never actually thought about when it would come round what would happen, now hes like, shiiiiiiiiit its actually here? ah well was a good shag

Sosa Star

Nov 23, 2009
Silva said:
The sad thing is that the 2012 thing isn't even a Mayan prophecy, but a silly interpretation of the fact that their calendars happen to end on that particular year. It's like saying the world will end because it's December 31st. To say that this is a silly idea, even from an astrologically-learned perspective, is an understatement.
True. Many Mayans themselves disprove the theory of the calander. The only reason it ends in 2012 is that they ran out of symbols. They'll make a new one to represent the continuation and things will be fine. Think of it like us adding a new 1 to show that things have gotten bigger. 9 becomes 10, 99 becomes 100. Simple as that.

Penn and Teller did a Bullshit Episode on it, and I did research on it as well for school last year, shame I can't find any of my resources anymore.

Nalesnik

Nov 10, 2008
Snowalker said:
RatRace123 said:
Snowalker said:
Small problem, Rapture isn't the bible, its just as stupid a theory as 2012. You can look it up, rapture isn't part of my religion, and people who think its part of the bible haven't actually read the thing.
I was misinformed, my apologies, still, the theory is awesome. And if the rapture is not part of your religion, yet somehow got attached to it, what was it originally stemmed from?
I can't guarantee this to be true, but I believe the person who sparked the Southern Baptist sub section made this theory, and all of his believers follow it. And if you don't know, aside from Mormons, Baptists and Southern Baptists are the most outspoken group of Christians, so of course it spread like wildfire. You can double check, I'd appreciate it to be honest, however, I am sure Rapture is a theory, not part of the bible. It goes back to old testament, God didn't send the Jews away from Egypt when the plagues hit, he just merely protected them from it, thats the way Revelations leads you to believe the apocalypse will play out.
I've read Revelations from a standard Catholic Bible (twice actually, cause it was confusing the first time) and if that isn't describing a type of Rapture/end times/2nd coming of Jesus, then I don't know what you would consider Rapture to be? (Or maybe I don't understand the pedantic meaning of "Rapture")

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
The_AC said:
I'm not sure which is stupider:

a) That a few Christians believe in the whole Revelation, "arrival of the Beast" thing.

b) The fact that most Christians who believe in the rapture thing want to avoid it ("Don't elect Obama, he's the antichrist!"), even though the Bible explicitly says that it's a good thing.
As I discovered by speaking at length about this over the years with religious friends (I'm an agnostic myself) there's more to your second point than that.

Keep in mind that the largest Christian denomination is one billion people (Catholicism). If you believe, as is common, that the other denominations are wrong and therefore will be treated as unbelievers, then being a part of any denomination means that most of humanity (more than five sixths of it) will be damned if the Rapture were to happen now.

So it's actually kindness and the desire to save others that informs the attitude that wants to prevent a Rapture. However misinformed it might be, it's not simple stupidity.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
The Mayans predicted (not necessarily, the calender just run out of space) that the world would end in 2012.
Also Capcom predicted that 14 master bots would be created by 2009.
I don't buy in to prophesies any more.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Nalesnik said:
Snowalker said:
RatRace123 said:
Snowalker said:
Small problem, Rapture isn't the bible, its just as stupid a theory as 2012. You can look it up, rapture isn't part of my religion, and people who think its part of the bible haven't actually read the thing.
I was misinformed, my apologies, still, the theory is awesome. And if the rapture is not part of your religion, yet somehow got attached to it, what was it originally stemmed from?
I can't guarantee this to be true, but I believe the person who sparked the Southern Baptist sub section made this theory, and all of his believers follow it. And if you don't know, aside from Mormons, Baptists and Southern Baptists are the most outspoken group of Christians, so of course it spread like wildfire. You can double check, I'd appreciate it to be honest, however, I am sure Rapture is a theory, not part of the bible. It goes back to old testament, God didn't send the Jews away from Egypt when the plagues hit, he just merely protected them from it, thats the way Revelations leads you to believe the apocalypse will play out.
I've read Revelations from a standard Catholic Bible (twice actually, cause it was confusing the first time) and if that isn't describing a type of Rapture/end times/2nd coming of Jesus, then I don't know what you would consider Rapture to be? (Or maybe I don't understand the pedantic meaning of "Rapture")
Rapture isn't Revelations, Rapture is the belief that before the 1st of the 7 seals are broken, the Christians we'll have their souls go to heaven and will not experience the apocalypse. The end of days does happen, but in the bible, us Christians will have to witness the horrors.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Silva said:
The sad thing is that the 2012 thing isn't even a Mayan prophecy, but a silly interpretation of the fact that their calendars happen to end on that particular year. It's just like saying the world will end because it's December 31st and our yearly calendar happens to end at that point. To say that this is a silly idea, even from an astrologically-learned perspective, is an understatement.
This is true. The modern day mayans (by geographical location) are known to resent the very notion of an apocalypse theory prophecized by the Ancient Mayans.

It's actually more annoying to hear about people criticizing the Mayan 'prophecy' because they are often terribly innaccurate when it comes to laughing at it... The Mayan long count calender doesn't end on 21/12/2012. It ticks over just like our gregorian calenders do every 31st December.

The Mayans weren't stupid or forgot to make another calender and I find most peoples ignorance woeful. Actually, they were comparably very intelligent. Their long count calender is actually far more accurate over long periods of time than our current Gregorian calender.

Someone said earlier in this thread that the thought of the world suddenly ending on a particular day to be ridiculous. The world could end at any given moment. Scientists and astromoners have found hundreds of ways that life could be extinguished instantaneously that it's not even funny. Take Jupiter for example. There is something to do with Jupiter's magnetic field that if it were to suddenly change, the earth would lose the ability to support life within hours. And that if a nearby star went supernova, the resulting radiation flash would destroy the earth's protective layers leaving us exposed to our own sun's lethal rays.

The Mayan 'prophecy' came about thanks to a coincidence between the restart date of their long count calender, and the increasing scientific evidence that the Earth is due a shift in it's magnetic poles, which may or may not induce a climate shift. NASA has also confirmed theories that solar flares may destroy life on earth if they became large enough. Those same scientists have also confirmed that such a solar flare will be much more likely in late 2012/ early 2013.

Much of the current 2012 theories also speak of a spiritual awakening and the resulting cultural shift occuring around the same time as a result of the earth becoming aligned with the galactic center and the passing into the age of Aquarius. The rolling over of the Mayan calender simply coincides with this transition. Sadly most of these 'new age' spiritualists would have you believe that you must prepare for it dramatically (often a scam to make money off of vulnerable people).

I have spent a lot of time reading up on this 2012 business and have found some interesting things, given the correlation between confirmed scientific facts and the interpretation of an ancient calender combined with the growing dis-satisfaction with modern life, I am not suprised people get sucked into believing it. It's a shame that any wisdom learned by evaluating our place in the universe and of our dealings with our fellow humans is lost and ridiculed by those who reject theories on principle and dismiss religious people as crazy fundamentalists.

I for one actually want to believe that a cultural shift will happen in 2012. I would like to think that humanity will be given the chance to re-assess it's destiny and resolve never-ending conflicts in the interests of progressing as a species and a society of peoples. Much of the 2012 theories that appeal to me are the ones that suggest such an event will help humanity take a step forward in evolution. Atlantis, and it's inhabitants, supposedly went through this process and came out of it being much better off. Atlantis is often described as a utopia full of advanced technology, peace and harmony. Sounds good right?

But I'm not stupid enough to blindly believe such an event wil occur...

Umberphoenix

Jun 17, 2009
Macksheath said:
TheTygerfire said:
9/11 was an inside job
The Moon Landing was faked

The classic crazy people talk like that.
I actually am sceptical about the moon-landing, as I don't see how a flag can flutter in space.

But yeah, 9/11 was an inside job tops the list.
I was there and I can guarantee that the Moon landing was not faked. Footage you didn't see was me getting attacked by a Moon bear (his name was Desmond, in case you were wondering). It may have been censored, but not faked.

Anyways, I haven't heard people talk about 2012 that much who think it will happen, but I do hear people talk about how stupid it is to believe the Mayans and stuff like that. NEWS FLASH: The Mayans didn't predict anything. Their calendar just ends on our 20/12/2012. Big whoop, cry sum moar.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Aunel said:
Bass hasn't got 4 strings.

[small]What do you mean 5 strings, by god man, nobody can live at that speed![/small]
Shouldn't you be making the tea bassist while we get the girls :p

Anyway craziest one has got to be the one were Hitler is still alive and living in a secret society in the centre of the Earth, or some shit along those lines.

himemiya1650

Jan 16, 2010
What will happen is that the Sun will have a poleshift, and solar flares are gonna be shittier than usual. Favorite theory is that giant planet larger than Jupiter moving very quickly will half Earth's orbit for 3 days and something, something, something I can't remember. But the point of it is that NASA denies it, although if it were true we'd be able to see it by now.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Young earth creationists are pretty fucking dumb. They believe the earth is 6000 years old, and any fossil traced to be older than that is put in the ground by the devil to confuse you.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
The world ends in 2012, stupidest theorie I've herd.
Macksheath said:
TheTygerfire said:
9/11 was an inside job
The Moon Landing was faked

The classic crazy people talk like that.
I actually am sceptical about the moon-landing, as I don't see how a flag can flutter in space.

But yeah, 9/11 was an inside job tops the list.
I met a guy on Modern Warfare 2 who was called [9/11]was_an_inside_job.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Wait, wouldn't "2012" already happen by now. I don't think the Mayan's had any knowing of leap year, so in reality wouldn't their 2012 already have happened?

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Alpha Centauri said:
Yeah it is and I don?t care, right now as I type this, I'm in my science class doing 'research' on the 2012 'theories' for an opinion paper, so, I?m going to ask you guys, what are the stupid pointless or down right stupid theories or websites you've seen or heard?

Links would be nice. I can?t wait to blow up some of the more retarded theories.

It?s going to be a fun day.
here's a theory for you

The funny thing is, this is probably the most accurate theory regarding 2012

(BTW this image is my avatar)

HaloHappy

Sep 7, 2008
Sad part is they already have two more doomsday theories after this. These speculations are all just made up to make us be in fear, so don't believe them please. The 2012 theory is all based on the Mayan calendar, which was never completed past 2012 because they were f*cking wiped out.

Also, to those of you wondering on here if the moon landing was fake......MYTHBUSTERS PROVED EVERYTHING WAS TRUE!! They used a vacuum to prove the flag flutter and the boot imprint, made miniature models to prove the shadows and lighted astronaut, used cables and a zero gravity airplane service to prove the jumping and skipping, and used a freaking super laser to find the transceiver thingies we put on the moon.

Xodion

Apr 8, 2008
ravens_nest said:
It's actually more annoying to hear about people criticizing the Mayan 'prophecy' because they are often terribly innaccurate when it comes to laughing at it... The Mayan long count calender doesn't end on 21/12/2012. It ticks over just like our gregorian calenders do every 31st December.

The Mayans weren't stupid or forgot to make another calender and I find most peoples ignorance woeful. Actually, they were comparably very intelligent. Their long count calender is actually far more accurate over long periods of time than our current Gregorian calender.
If Wikipedia is to be believed (and I think it can be trusted on this, it has a lot of reliable looking sources), this is true, the 20th December 2012 is the day 12:19:19:17:19. It is only the end of the Mayan calender if you ignore that the Mayans had two extra digits before the 12, although they were very rarely used. It would be like us including the zeroes in our year, saying "This is the year zero-zero-2010".

The confusion and belief that it is the end of the world seems to arise from the Mayans calling the FIRST day of their calendar (the day they said was the end of Creation and the beginning of the Mayan civilisation) 13:0:0:0:0. I imagine they had lots of myths and stuff about this first day, and they seem to have been misinterpreted as happening when the next 13:0:0:0:0 comes around.

ChaosGenesis

Mar 11, 2009
It's surprising that more people don't know this, but actually the Mayan Calender's were interpreted incorrectly and is actually offset by 6 years. The end of the world was actually 2006 and we all died a horrible tragic death. For the last 4 years the government has been trying to cover it all up so we won't know that we're dead. The 2012 theories were then secretly enforced and they commissioned a movie to be made about it so that when nothing happens on 2012, people will just assume the apocalypse never happened and we're all alive.
We ARE the zombie apocalypse.

I fear this may be my final post as now I shall be hunted by the government BUT THE TRUTH MUST BE HEARD!!

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Xodion said:
If Wikipedia is to be believed (and I think it can be trusted on this, it has a lot of reliable looking sources), this is true, the 20th December 2012 is the day 12:19:19:17:19. It is only the end of the Mayan calender if you ignore that the Mayans had two extra digits before the 12, although they were very rarely used. It would be like us including the zeroes in our year, saying "This is the year zero-zero-2010".

The confusion and belief that it is the end of the world seems to arise from the Mayans calling the FIRST day of their calendar (the day they said was the end of Creation and the beginning of the Mayan civilisation) 13:0:0:0:0. I imagine they had lots of myths and stuff about this first day, and they seem to have been misinterpreted as happening when the next 13:0:0:0:0 comes around.
Actually the Mayan long count calender works on a 5800 year or so cycle. Apparently we are about to start a new era... The mayans believed that each era was ushered in by a series of natural disasters. There was never any mention of the world ending. It's just interesting that the Mayans seemed to have disappeared around the time of the last cycle. They also believed the cycle before theirs contained other civillizations that we no longer have proof for, Atlantis for eg (again mythically wiped from the earth apocolypse style)...

It'd be nice to have an actual proper discussion about the 2012 prophecy here but every single one turns into this kind of thread... The ignorance in this thread is too over-whelming for me to try and correct everyone...